Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
$52,000 a year? That's great... well above what a lot of people make from their full-time jobs.

What niches on eBay do you like for profitability... either currently or in the past?

Did you have any trouble with the Amazon drop shipping on eBay? That isn't a policy violation in any way, is it?

Thanks!
I don't dropship anymore. When I did, it was mostly electronics. I never really had a problem with it. But after some time, the margins were too small for me to make time money from it.

All I sell now is study materials for science, engineering and math classes. I buy look at the textbooks used at popular schools and use that for the basis of the study material. I also do all the problems in the book and include all the steps. They are big sellers. It takes me about 2-3 days to get through a book. And then I sell the material that I create over and over for years. It also requires very little administration since study materials rarely break during shipping, etc.

I share the technique with everyone who asks about it. But there's still only a few of us on eBay doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM

42 posts, read 139,585 times
I would check out doba, it's a dropship wholesale site which is great for ebay. They have millions of great things to list on ebay and you can list it to ebay right from the doba site. List as many as you want and do not pay unless you make a sale. Then you pay doba the wholesale price and give them the delivery address and they deliver it to your customer. I've used them before, very easy process.

7-day free trial at doba.com now

Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 PM

10,180 posts, read 20,810,169 times
Selling on ebay has become too much of a hassle. Between freezing funds for weeks at a time, fees, and buyers who don't read instructions or want to threaten you with negative feedback if you don't accomodate their requests, I've given up on selling on ebay. I buy on there often, but no more selling for me.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Selling on ebay has become too much of a hassle. Between freezing funds for weeks at a time, fees, and buyers who don't read instructions or want to threaten you with negative feedback if you don't accomodate their requests, I've given up on selling on ebay. I buy on there often, but no more selling for me.
I never had any of those issues over the past 10+ years. The fees are very reasonable.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
It appears that many sellers are drop-shipping now....selling items from Amazon, Pottery Barn, Target, WalMart, etc -- just placing the order after someone uses Buy-It-Now and having the item sent directly from that place.

I dont mind drop-shippers but it's a little irritating when the item comes in a box saying "Amazon" or whatever; I keep thinking I should have looked there first. And, when I do look at Amazon or whatever and see how much cheaper I could have gotten it, I'm mad at myself.
I SO agree with you.
Years back a person could get a good deal on eBay and generally there were just individuals selling some things that they had no use for - for a good price. There also used to be places to go to for good prices on such items locally.

Now, the great deals for the consumer are over. Everything has dried up and is being sold on eBay for prices either the same or higher than you can get for yourself if you comparative shop. Local auctions often have junk left over from stuff they could not sell on eBay for higher prices, it seems.

I never buy from eBay and can only think the customers that they get are either housebound or are too far away from stores to do their own shopping. If I google for an item and eBay comes up I just go to the next offering because whenever I actually looked at the eBay item it ended up being more of a deal for the seller, not me.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I SO agree with you.
Years back a person could get a good deal on eBay and generally there were just individuals selling some things that they had no use for - for a good price. There also used to be places to go to for good prices on such items locally.

Now, the great deals for the consumer are over. Everything has dried up and is being sold on eBay for prices either the same or higher than you can get for yourself if you comparative shop. Local auctions often have junk left over from stuff they could not sell on eBay for higher prices, it seems.

I never buy from eBay and can only think the customers that they get are either housebound or are too far away from stores to do their own shopping. If I google for an item and eBay comes up I just go to the next offering because whenever I actually looked at the eBay item it ended up being more of a deal for the seller, not me.
I tend to find good deals on eBay on unique items or imports.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I tend to find good deals on eBay on unique items or imports.
I find it hard to weigh the worth of unique items and imports.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 PM

754 posts, read 2,089,735 times
I've been in a real slump selling (or not selling) art the last few months,, but did all my CHirstmas shopping on eBay. Found some real good deals on "daily deals"

Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
Wink Appreciation for your honesty !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't dropship anymore. When I did, it was mostly electronics. I never really had a problem with it. But after some time, the margins were too small for me to make time money from it.

All I sell now is study materials for science, engineering and math classes. I buy look at the textbooks used at popular schools and use that for the basis of the study material. I also do all the problems in the book and include all the steps. They are big sellers. It takes me about 2-3 days to get through a book. And then I sell the material that I create over and over for years. It also requires very little administration since study materials rarely break during shipping, etc.

I share the technique with everyone who asks about it. But there's still only a few of us on eBay doing it.
I just wanted to say, Thank You !!! You are very nice to have shared that information with everyone. I think what you are doing on e bay is a really neat idea. It isn't like you don't need to work for your money because you must BUT, not only are you learning about things you may have missed when you were in school or you may not have taken that subject and it is all learned by reading the text book. How cool is that. I love school, I love to learn new things but mostly, I LOVE to help out someone that is trying to help themselves. The tool you are providing for students is just a little short cut to help them but it is truly providing a awesome service to students. I would love to see some of the products you sell. !!! Really, talk about solving a problem and having a great solution. You could really go big with this, especially if you don't have much competition.
I am curious, you say popular schools, do you normally read and do the work on Elementrey, HS or Collage text books. I know they don't change very often. My Son is in HS now, it would be a great way for me to help him and make money doing it. How cool would that be. !!! I wish I would have read your thread years ago when he was in Grade school.
I am also curious, not to offend anyone, but in a big range, is there a lot of money to be made by this niche. ?? I know a guy that bought a site called something like ScienceProjectsFor( each grade ).com,
He does so well by showing like 15 min science projects people buy them like they are candy, the only bad thing is it s limiting to a seasonal site.
If you don't wish to disclose on a public thread anything you think is too personal but would like to let me know, than you are welcome to e mail me: Bankersdirect03@aol.com , Just please put in the subject line the comment so I know it is not spam " NJBest, city data Forum"
Well, Thanks for the info. I love it. You can never go wrong with education, or something that helps our younger crowd get through school. Sharpens up our brains too !!! That can never be a bad thing !!! LOL
CABest
AKA
KS B

Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,784,007 times
All I can say is start SLOW.

I started on ebay in 2004 culling things in my attic I didn't want to keep. One thing at a time. Learned how to research if it would sell, what it should bring, how to ship. SLOW. One item at a time.

I started with a crappy Walmart clearance 25 dollar digital camera. Learned how to upload and edit photos. As I got the hang of it I got a better camera.

Clothing is a crapshoot and to sell my Ralph Lauren items had to price them at bare bones, Macy's 70 percent off prices. You will take a beating on clothes.

If you don't, then God bless and go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products