Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Wow. People can't just accept gifts gratefully and gratefully these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
During our last cleanout a few years ago, GoodWill got 16 Vases and 12 sets of Bookends all made of glass. All of it was still sitting in their original boxes. Then I could talk about the backup blender that we have for our backup blender for our blender. Being grateful for the gift is not the issue. Finding somewhere to stick it. I'm just waiting for the OP or someone else to talk about the cases of stuff that all of sudden shows up on their doorstep via UPS from relatives due to their downsizing or moving into a retirement community. I had it happen to me in 2009 and my sister complained how come they didn't think of her (she's what I refer to as a gimmee (always has her hands in someone elses pocket)). So without saying a word I shipped off 24 filing boxes filled with misc. glassware for her to enjoy. She never brought up the subject ever again.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I am a very gracious gift-accepter!

But I will not keep/use your gift of candles (allergic to scent), or coffee (no one in this house drinks it), or hats (never wear one, even in a blizzard), etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Just got done tossing and packing for charity shops the useless crap I have gotten for gifts in the past which didn't sell at my yard sale. I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I used to think if someone gave me a gift I didn't like or couldn't use, I had to keep it and display it beacuse it was rude not to. And it's becoming increasingly difficult to smile and lie through my teeth saying "Oh, just what I wanted! A pewter pear!" (And that was one of the better ones! Maybe a thread with the worst gifts you've ever received....)

Not anymore. This year's unneeded gifts got returned, re-gifted or off to Goodwill. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but approaching 60, I have all the "stuff" I need.

For the rest of you non-pack-rats like me, rather than hoard a bunch of stuff you don't want or need, tell your friends and family you'd really enjoy some nice wine, coffee, tea, candy, cheese, etc., most of which can be ordered online & shipped. I have sent the fresh fruit arrangement and people LOVED it!

Anybody in agreement?
Yes! I am also a minimalist at home, so this is completely agreeable!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times
We give Kroger Gift cards for presents, the recipients get "free" groceries and I get cash off my fuel purchases...win/win situation!!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have sent the fresh fruit arrangement and people LOVED it!

Frank & Marie Barrone HATED The Fruit of the Month Club gift that Raymond gave them.

Nancy: That was one of the FUNNIEST episodes of the series! "They keep coming!" (That and the one where Marie agreed to teach Ray's wife how to cook some of her Italian specialties and decided to ... I'll not give away the punchline!)

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am a very gracious gift-accepter!

But I will not keep/use your gift of candles (allergic to scent), or coffee (no one in this house drinks it), or hats (never wear one, even in a blizzard), etc.
Huh?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
We give Kroger Gift cards for presents, the recipients get "free" groceries and I get cash off my fuel purchases...win/win situation!!!!!
Grocery Store Gift Cards: How very thoughtful and so "personal." Why not just give them cash? Oh!!! You wouldn't get your gas discount.

This thread has turned into a joke. It was supposed to be about ideas for giving people presents they could still open under the tree or for a holiday, which they'd consume and won't end up in a yard sale!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times
Quote:
Grocery Store Gift Cards: How very thoughtful and so "personal." Why not just give them cash? Oh!!! You wouldn't get your gas discount.

This thread has turned into a joke. It was supposed to be about ideas for giving people presents they could still open under the tree or for a holiday, which they'd consume and won't end up in a yard sale!
Everyone we have sent these cards to were very greatful to receive them and some of the people really needed them-so don't go to far with you neg attitude and the obvious situation you no nothing about.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Huh?
What are you having difficulty understanding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products