Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,833,004 times

Advertisements

Lately, when I've been doing my usual shopping and retail stuff, clerks are asking me for my name, address, phone, etc, "to put into the computer" as if it's standard business procedure. I use cash and not credit cards for all my small transactions around town. I've been surprised and caught off guard, as it seems to be a new thing in retail places such as DSW discount shoe warehouse (not really much of a discount), Staples office supply, and chain hair salons like BoRics and Great Clips, to name a few places. Not to mention all those grocery store "loyalty" cards.

Anyway, I don't give it to them, but it's a hassle to always be asked. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want my personal information stored in computers all over town, for starters. Any coupons I use, I can find online. They are asking for way too much information.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,083,505 times
Yes, I've been asked for my phone number, my email, my zip code and my name. I just say no.

The new trend at some places is to ask you your name while taking your order. I guess they're trying to be 'friendly', but I came in for coffee, not a friendship.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,079,725 times
I agree! We should not even be bothered with such questions.

How about the clerks though, I bet they get tired of having to ask those questions along with having to do their job. Always amazes me the ideas that the muckity-mucks come up with that trickle down to the folks who actually work.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM

61,945 posts, read 87,574,290 times
They can ask all day long, its up to YOU how much information you give.
I don't. They don't need to know.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They can ask all day long, its up to YOU how much information you give.
I don't. They don't need to know.
TOTALLY agree. Especially with a cash sale, there is no reason at all to give them any info whatsoever. There are people usually in line behind you, and the last thing I would want to do is start giving out personal info for some random computer database and have my phone and address overheard by someone in line behind me. What planet are they from? Yes, the mucky-mucks are telling the cashiers to do this, but it's obnoxious and unnecessary. Almost as bad as Costco's constant "unselling" on memberships.....at checkout. Very annoying.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 10 days ago)

8,825 posts, read 21,312,996 times
I just make up a name and phone number. It's easier that way.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM

582 posts, read 1,121,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
TOTALLY agree. Especially with a cash sale, there is no reason at all to give them any info whatsoever. There are people usually in line behind you, and the last thing I would want to do is start giving out personal info for some random computer database and have my phone and address overheard by someone in line behind me. What planet are they from? Yes, the mucky-mucks are telling the cashiers to do this, but it's obnoxious and unnecessary. Almost as bad as Costco's constant "unselling" on memberships.....at checkout. Very annoying.
Absolutely agree with you . I think most people are just afraid to say no because it makes them look mean or difficult. I'd rather look mean or difficult than have the guy behind me memorize my name and phone number.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I just make up a name and phone number. It's easier that way.
Hahaha great idea!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Absolutely agree with you . I think most people are just afraid to say no because it makes them look mean or difficult. I'd rather look mean or difficult than have the guy behind me memorize my name and phone number.
Exactly, or worse yet, memorize your address! I went to Great Clips today for a haircut and the clerk asked me for my name and address to put into the computer to start a "profile" and I said, "no thank you." My haircut was ok, not great, but I don't think it was related!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,386,246 times
Yeah, I started a thread about this same topic. An Arby's typing my "name" in a huge font for all of the customers to see after I place my order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products