Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Ok one thing that bugs me is stores that use deceptive sales practices.
This isnt really a consumer complaint due there are websites that cater to that but curious why they can get away with trying to full the public?

I always hate shopping at grocery stores that have sales like buy 4 for 10 dollars but they dont tell you how much the item is if you just buy two.
Do I still get the item on sale or not. I always forget to check the receipt to see if I did get the item on sale and since I am buying groceries it is very doubtful I would even not buy the item but I was lure to the item for the sales price.

Same thing of clothing retailers they do the same thing buy 2 for 20 bucks but at one retailer if you only buy one item you do pay the regular price and not the sales price.

There is a certain shoe company that has buy one at regular price get the other pair for half off. The only problem is they always have that sale every day. And they only take half off the pair that is less in value.

There is one store I see that is having a 50 percent off sale but if you ever go in that store they always have this kind of sale and the regular price is about double what you would pay normally and the half off price is what the item normally goes for in other retail stores.

Does anyone else get worked up over this? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
I try not to let it bother me to much. I suppose this is their way of getting you into the store. Case in point, last weekend we went to buy our Christmas tree, Lowe's advertised a gorgeous fake tree for 29 dollars. On the tv add it looked beautiful. So off we went to get this great deal. We get to the store and low and behold, the 29 dollar tree was the saddest thing you ever saw. But it got me into the store. Did I buy it no. Was I annoyed, a little but we went to another store and found a better tree. I tend to watch the items like you described at the grocery stores and if I don't need it I don't buy it.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
What bugs me are the 20 percent off coupons from department stores, and the list of exclusions takes up three-quarters of the coupon.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
What bugs me are the 20 percent off coupons from department stores, and the list of exclusions takes up three-quarters of the coupon.

Speaking of bugsss.............Please tell me that I don't have a bug stuck inside my computer.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Be careful if you push it it multiplies

Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
My least favorite tactic is when they raise the price so they discount it and call it a sale.

I have found the most egregious come-ons are in the advertising, so I don't waste too much time even looking at it. (Yeah I am a heretic about a lot of things!) I do compare the three grocery store flyers however, and have pretty much learned the prices of the 100 things I most frequently buy.

So as a cherry picker, I do very well for myself. I also make monthly forays into two closeout type operations and have had mostly super luck with the few things I select from them. Every year they seem to have, for a week or two, some truly high quality food items which I scoop right up since it is a great price, and still within the dating.

Right now office supply stores are doing a lot of deals, it is a good time to buy computer stuff - if it is deeply discounted.

But those 10% and 20% off department store coupons with the long list of exemptions on the back - JC Penney and Macy's are two that play that game - fuggetaboutit. I don't even set foot in their stores on that basis. I get lots of coupons via the internet too, and buy from Penney's online since I have solid numbers to make sure the deal is really a deal.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:08 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Ive heard that many stores, particularly the bigger-name ones, try to get you all hyped-up about sales. Shortly before the holiday shopping season, the prices of things will go up a bit. Linens, clothing, whatever. Then when holiday shopping time comes around, they lower the prices of those things they raised prices on, so it only 'looks' like youre saving 20% or 30%...when in actuality, it was already at that price a couple of weeks before.
Yes, I observe prices, what they were a week ago and what they are now, so have a pretty good idea what costs what. And the most important thing is, dont be compulsive! Most people go into stores with the idea of buying a few things. They come out with their cart full of stuff they werent going to buy before, and especially this time of year its easy to be distracted, with all those showey displays and attractive packaging, but dont be fooled!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Where do you get those bugs? I would love those bugs to put on my son's computer when he is sleeping. He hates ants. LOL

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
This is crazy---those ants---my cat sits on my lap when I'm on the computer and he's going crazy with your ants!! He keeps trying to catch them.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
My least favorite tactic is when they raise the price so they discount it and call it a sale.
Yes! I have been seeing this a lot lately at the grocery store.
It is infuriating.
I guess they get away with it because they can.
People can change their diet, but only so much--we have to eat.
Quote:
But those 10% and 20% off department store coupons with the long list of exemptions on the back - JC Penney and Macy's are two that play that game - fuggetaboutit. I don't even set foot in their stores on that basis. .
Ditto.
But I have occasionally been sucked into other situations similar to what movingtohouston described. Just little deceptive scenarios to get you in:
We saw the huge 50% OFF sign in the mattress store, walked in, and learned that only one mattress in the entire store was 50% off. Fortunately we were only a few blocks away from our house, it's not like we were on this major shopping expedition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products