Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 05:08 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
if Costco can pay a decent wage and offer some benefits so can WalMart...they just choose not too.
In all fairness to Walmart, you can not compare Walmart stores to Costco, two different business and operational models. You can accurately compare Costco to Sam's Club because they are the same business and operational model.

So, If Costco can pay decent wages and provide decent benefits to their employees, why can't Sam's Club?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Not surprising since retail employees are universally paid low wages and Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. Walmart is the world's largest company by revenue, according to the Fortune Global 500 list in 2014, the biggest private employer in the world with over two million employees, and the largest retailer in the world. Thank you Wikipedia.

The linked article in the quote uses numbers. That's just plain foolish. Walmart will likely have the most of anything you'd care to count! Percentages would be more representative but, even at that, Walmart is a retailer and retailers pay low wages. The claim is technically true but rather meaningless.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't get the claim that Walmart is bad to employees. These are bottom feeder retail jobs. You shouldn't expect great wages or benefits if you are a shopper cart wrangler. However, Walmart offers one of the few career paths where someone who is willing to work hard and learn can move up to store manager and earn a six figure salary with no college degree. That's right, your local Walmart store manager probably makes a lot than you. Also Walmart donates a ton of money and products to charity and disaster relief and they are quiet about it. I don't see the Walton family as being ruthless and greedy.

My only beef shopping there is it is so dang busy that it is hard to get around the store without blocking someone or vice versa. I've tried going early morning and beat the crowds, but then they only have one or two checkout lines open and I still have to wait.

Oh the flipside, I like that Walmart is constantly evolving with things like neighborhood market and the Savings catcher app which has to make the competition really nervous.

Liberal America just can't stand someone who is successful and has more.
Conservatives tout all of that "what America was" bullcrap and forget the fact that in past days people fought for unions and worker's rights, which is why we have laws against workers' mistreatment now.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:27 PM

389 posts, read 426,727 times
Because they treat their employees poorly and don't pay them anything. And the quality of some of their items is terrible.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default The parking lot issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I hate all big box store parking lots, that alone is enough to keep me away. I don't really have any problem shopping there myself but usually there aren't any nearby. And yes, the few I've been to in my region are always lower class, the exception was the one super that I shopped at in Kansas City, but again it was always a question of whether or not I was up to dealing with the parking headache, usually I wasn't.
I read only the first four pages of the thread, so maybe this has been addressed, but what is a "headache" about big box store parking lots? Are you referring to the fact that you may have to park rather far from the entrance? If so, that's more frequently an advantage than a disadvantage, because most of us need to get more, not less exercise. Sure, in a driving rain it's a disadvantage, but why go shopping in a driving rain anyway? Please explain.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
people hate wally world because its the perfect business plans. unions cannot get a foot in the door, and small ma and pa stores cannot compete.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
people hate wally world because its the perfect business plans. unions cannot get a foot in the door, and small ma and pa stores cannot compete.
But Amazon and Dollar General have been doing a pretty good job the last few years.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
"It's a perfect business plan"
That may be true.
However, it is not perfect for the American people.
The one thing our economy does not reward is compassion or heart.
When you find a business that has morals and fairness etc we all win by shopping there At welfare mart, only the waltons win.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I suppose this is why their sales have been down the last several quarters, they have had to scale back building new stores, and they have had to resort to gimmicks to get people into their stores like that money saver app, or whatever it is.

Won't cut it for me, I'm through with them, and apparently from the sounds of this thread so are many others.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
I guess the moral of the story is be careful who's toes you step on on the way to the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products