Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times

Advertisements

How about Arbys Roast beef.

After giving my order watched a girl with a sponge clean a counter in front of the Malt/Shake machine and then use the same sponge to wipe the blender blade.....always wondered why I would get the RUNS after eating their Roast beef Sandwich and their Malts......stopped going and that was over 25 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times
Said the sandwich wasn't filling and had no flavor.

Add to that the insult of over-pricing, often very dry bread, having to fight to get employees to throw on more than a scrap of onion or other vegetables, the lack of a deli pickle and we just don't go any more. We used to hit Subway when traveling because you know what you are getting, now that is the problem, You know that you are getting: Price gouged for a bland, low quality, unsatisfying meal.

I carry my internet and wifi now. I go to Trip Adviser and Urban Spoon to uncover local gems while on the road. Much more satisfying experience that Subway has been for years.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,012 times
Whats happening is that basically people have reached an all or nothing compromise with themselves...people are saying: if I cant afford to eat at Chipotle, Which-Wich, Chik Fil A, Five Guys, or Cafe Express, Ill just forgo the whole dining out experience altogether, and scrounge up something to eat at home, rather than settling for something cheap that I can afford from McD's...because at least Ill have SOME idea of whats in my food, and where its coming from if I fix it myself.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You will like Jersey Mikes, but they are a little more expensive so beware
Haven't read all the thread, but, I, too, am a big Jersey Mike fan. A close second for a small chain is Lenny's. Both of these stores have a wonderful cherry pepper relish that adds a bit of spice. I prefer Lenny's pepper relish to JM's but JM's bread is superior.

My complaint with JM is that people like my wife prefer to have the bread thrown on a grill for a minute or two, and although JM's have a grill (for Philadelphia cheese steak type sandwiches), they won't grill bread for a cold sandwich--a stupid marketing mistake on their part. I go to Jersey Mike's and then drive across the street to Quiznos for my wife.

I will eat a Jimmy John on occasion, but it definitely runs third to the other two--and no pepper relish.

Subway is off my menu choices. Not sure what they need to do, but neither the bread nor the meats really appeal to me. If ever I'm stuck in a Subway, it's a meatballer for me. Those pretty much taste the same in any of the stores.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 AM

123 posts, read 203,520 times
Do the MATH folks:

1. Its your money $, but compute what you would save over an extended period by packing your lunch at home.

2. With rising grocery costs savings is important, plus you know what is going in your lunch made at home.

3. Subway lunch experience, stand in a long line, have a 3rd world communication encounter ordering, for at one time a $5.00 foot long that was not even worth it back then.

)-:

Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Lately, I've concluded that their staff don't seem to care about the quality of the food, and don't keep all the ingredients topped up, so the sandwich just doesn't taste right with all the bits missed out.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Lately, I've concluded that their staff don't seem to care about the quality of the food, and don't keep all the ingredients topped up, so the sandwich just doesn't taste right with all the bits missed out.

All those bits can do is to partially disguise the reality that their sandwiches' main fillings--the meat and cheese--are tasteless and insipid. Throwing some unripe, pink tomato and a few shards of other vegetable toppings on top of poor-quality meats and cheeses can't do very much to add flavor to something that essentially lacks flavor.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 AM

469 posts, read 913,178 times
Far too many better choices. Firehouse, Larrys, Quiznos etc. Subway is light on the meat and is the MacDonalds of sanchwiches. Couple of years ago I was in a Subway when an old lady ahead of me had a coupon for a free sandwich. She ordered everything she liked and when she got to the counter the little punk at the counter said $12. She said but it's a free sandwich, but no, you asked for this that and the other and that voided the coupon. The punk threw it in the trash and said "Next". People had a fit and folks started throwing bread at the punk, about 8 people left pissed off, I've never stepped foot in Subway since.

Someone mentioned Jimmy Johns, I think they are terrible. All bread and lettuce. Can't believe the hype over a cold lettuce sandwich.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:58 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

watched a girl with a sponge clean a counter in front of the Malt/Shake machine and then use the same sponge to wipe the blender blade
There are some people who absolutely lack both common sense and an understanding of hygiene/disease prevention. My mother was a teacher, and--on multiple occasions--she was aghast to see the school's female janitor wiping down the toilet seats and then wiping the sinks with the same un-sanitized rag.

Then, when she found out that this woman got a higher salary than she did, she became very depressed.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Said the sandwich wasn't filling and had no flavor.

Add to that the insult of over-pricing, often very dry bread, having to fight to get employees to throw on more than a scrap of onion or other vegetables, the lack of a deli pickle and we just don't go any more.
Don't forget having to beg the kid to throw in more than one napkin. The way they hide them behind the counter, and glare at you when you ask for extra, you'd think they were dollar bills. It irritates me enough that over the last decade or so, I would say it's easily cost them over $1000 of my business. Their product is just not good enough to be worth arguing with a teenager over how many napkins I need. Just one more dumb gimmick that they don't need to throw at people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products