Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times

Advertisements

Another thing I hate about Subway is, the crazy people that go there. I remember helping out a young lady that worked at subway a couple months back.
Some guy came in and demanded that she make him QTY 40 of the $5 Subs(within the hour for his daughter birthday)
She politely explained that they need a 24 notice and that he has to purchase the Party Sub.
This guys starts to becoming irate and the line starts backing up out the door. I step in and kindly ask the guy to leave, But man! these crazy people that go to subway.
How about the guy that orders 20 Subs for his office, all 20 subs are different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Their constant ads about new sandwiches and promotions make them seem cheap and gimmicky to me. Try our new Avocado Buffalo Ranch Honey Mustard Chicken sandwich, now for a limited time! My Jimmy John's has had the same menu since I started going there seven years ago.
They KNOW their menu is not very interesting.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:54 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
You can't keep something at 5 bucks for eternity. Its called INFLATION. The purchasing power of that $5 reduces year after year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Why in the name of the holy sandwich did they get rid of the $5 footlong?????
I'm guessing this ^^. The couldn't sustain the $5 sub. AFAIK, they did those promos to hook people in. When it was gone, they hoped folks would come back despite foot longs now being $6.50, $7, or even up to $8.50 now! Again, some of the Subways I visit... they have pretty healthy lunch lines. Good for them! but I've lost interest long ago, as I pretty much only went there for the $5 foot longs.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 AM

861 posts, read 852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I am of the opinion that the meat and the cheese that they put on the bread also doesn't have much flavor!

It seems to me that, no matter which variety of Subway sandwich I order, they all taste pretty much the same--except for the dressing that I might have selected that day. Everything--bread, cheese, meat--at that place seems incredibly bland, IMHO.

I don't totally avoid Subway, but I think that I probably patronize their stores no more than 3 times a year, and only if nothing more appealing is available.

Spot on, the sandwiches and bread all taste the same

Much like yourself if I am in the middle of nowhere and nothing else is available then I will go to subway.

But I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I would rather go to Chipotle or Five Guys..

Old 06-19-2015, 04:03 AM

861 posts, read 852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't eat at Jimmy John's because I disagree strongly with the owner's behavior. He pays lowest-dollar, makes employers sign a non-compete clause (for making sandwiches!), was a leader in the anti-Obamacare movement, and does everything he possibly can to avoid paying his fair share of state and Federal taxes. In addition to that, I'm really turned off that goes to Africa to kill elephants, leopards, etc., as a "sport." To me, that's a real turn-off and I don't give my hard-earned money to people like that.
UPDATED: Jimmy John is a big man.* With the photos to prove it. : SPlog : Smile Politely
10 companies that shamelessly tried to duck Obamacare - Salon.com
Jimmy John's Enforces An 'Insanely Restrictive' Dress Code On Franchisees And Their Workers

That said, I did have his sandwiches several times before I learned all that. They were so much better than Subway's in terms of quality, I wondered at that time how Subway could stay in business. Subway's trying to be all things to all people. Egg whites, flat bread, fake pizzas, etc., etc. They should concentrate on making a decent sandwich for a fair price. I would suspect the reason the $5 footlong disappeared is because they have too many other bases to cover these days. McDonald's made the same mistake. Too many choices, none of them all that great.
Thats it in a nutshell, too big a range and a massive outdated supply chain that is too hard to fix.

For both Subway and Mcdonalds they have both been hurt by the switch to healthier more natural foods. Everyone has seen the pictures of Mcdonalds food left in glass jars for long periods and the food doesnt break down.

Subway had the same issue overly processed food and downright dodgy ingredients that pushed the boundaries of what you could call food.

There was a great article on this issue on the Guardian website. As a Brit is spearheading efforts to turn around the golden arches. Im mcdonalds' case, they are so big they couldnt even go organic overnight if they even wanted to, as they literally wouldnt be able to procure enough food!!!

McDonald's in crisis: can it fight off the Five Guys threat? | Business | The Guardian

Subway without doubt probably suffers from the same issues.

All of these 1980s giants with their scientific processed food are being hammered by new casual dining chains which try to use only organic ingredients.. Chipotle and Five Guys are probably the best of this new breed. (I would have added In and Out, but they are only on the west coast)

The old giants will survive, but their reach will probably never be what it was!!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Spot on, the sandwiches and bread all taste the same

Much like yourself if I am in the middle of nowhere and nothing else is available then I will go to subway.

But I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I would rather go to Chipotle or Five Guys..
Yup!
In my neck of the woods, even though Subways are ubiquitous, it isn't that hard to find a Jersey Mike's or a shop run by one of the small regional sandwich chains, and both of those alternatives feature sandwiches that are simply light years beyond Subway in terms of both taste and portion size.

I have actually begun to think that all of the "meat" used on Subway sandwiches is some sort of laboratory creation that comes out of one vat prior to shaping it into a coherent form, and that only the food coloring differentiates the chicken from the ham...from the beef...from the turkey.

EVERYTHING there tastes the same and is so bland that I just don't have any desire to eat it--unless no alternative exists.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
A few years ago you were likely to wait in line at Subway. These days, not so much (depending on location, I suppose).

I like Subway because I can pile on the spinach and tomatoes and jalapeños.

However, I fully believe that the drop in sales has to do with the typical Subway consumer more than anything. I really stopped going to Subway only because I got tired of waiting behind every single doofus who had to have the entire order toasted (which seemed to be everyone in front of me in line, every time ). What is the attraction to "Eating Fresh", let alone going for fast food, when many, many, customers want to turn their "fresh" sandwich into a melt? When there is a line, it takes too long considering that my order would be complete long before the first sandwich finished toasting.

I also got tired of getting weird looks from the "sandwich artist" when I said "no" to having my sub toasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Regardless of the price, Jimmy John's is just better, and when they opened across the street from Subway, we tried them and switched. I always found Subway's TV ads annoying, too, and have never seen Jimmy John's advertise.
JJs is far superior to Subway yet they are not even the best.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
They have no breakfast or dinner menu

Old 06-19-2015, 12:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
They have no breakfast or dinner menu
It's a sub shop. Why do they need separate meal menus? Plenty of diners have breakfast for less than $5. Why not go there? But, just for the record, they do have breakfast sandwiches at the ones in my neighborhood. Even that stupid egg white sandwich. (Please explain to me how you're helping your cholesterol if you take out the egg white and replace it with cheese ... and/or some kind of mayo sauce. )

Old 06-19-2015, 01:14 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I also got tired of getting weird looks from the "sandwich artist" when I said "no" to having my sub toasted.

Lol....They sure do look at you like youre crazy if you dont want it toasted...haha

Also, while Jimmy Johns is light years better than subway, Im not a big fan of them either...for some reason their sandwiches always have an underlying detergenty taste...not sure if its the meat or the cheese or what..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products