Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've been boycotting Sears for the past 20 years because of a scam they ran on brakes that long ago.

I had gone to one Sears auto shop and they told me I needed new front brakes and some work on the rear brakes. Less than a month later, a co-worker told me I probably didnt need that work but that Sears was running a promotion on brake work that month and giving its managers a kickback on all the brake work they could muster up. To prove that co-worker wrong, I went to a different Sears and asked them to check my brakes. Would you believe they told me I need the exact same work -- new front brakes and work on my rear brakes????? When I showed them my receipt for the exact same work done at a different Sears store less than a month prior, they got mad and made me wait until closing time (5 hours later) to give my car back to me.

So, since then, I've refused to buy anything from Sears, either in the store or online. And several people have told me they're boycotting Sears for similar practices, as well.
Sears got slapped for those sorts of practices in the early 1990s: Sears Auto Centers Halt Commissions After Flap - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 PM

The Sears near me is dark and depressing. The parking lot has tons of potholes. The last time I set foot in it, it looked like it had not been updated since 1970. And I could NOT get anyone to help me find something I was looking for. I got out of there as fast as I could. Once in a while, I go to a Sears Hardware store that is close to my house, if I don't feel like making the trek to the Depot or Lowes.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 PM

I recall this story from CNBC a couple of years ago: Tracking the slow death of American icon Sears Scroll down and you can see the empty shelves at various Sears stores. Kind of hard to make money when you don't have stocked shelves.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:04 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I recall this story from CNBC a couple of years ago: Tracking the slow death of American icon Sears Scroll down and you can see the empty shelves at various Sears stores. Kind of hard to make money when you don't have stocked shelves.
I know it's a little old but that article and the one above could be about the company I work for now. Shortsightedness is certainly not in short supply.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I like to buy all my things at Sears. They represent quality to me.
Sears, Target, Penney's, Walmart, etc all buy from the same overseas manufacturers. They just get separate labels for their respective stores brands.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Cheap stuff in some cases but very ratty credit practices. I bought spent and ran up my cc in repairs etc they just shut me down. The rest are actually increasing my limits. They lost me forever- more than 1/2 paid off - when done forget them

Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
I was at sears just yesterday. It was totally deserted. I don't see how they stay open. The only reason i shop at sears is for craftsman tools.
Ours is only open from 10 to 7. I was in the mall at 7 one evening and got to the entrance to find the gate down and the lights on. It seemed odd there was no signage indicating hours so I went outside. Sure enough, the doors were locked and I saw the hours: 10-7 Monday through Friday and 12-7 Sunday. The mall closes at 9 and the other anchors close at 10.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:01 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Cheap stuff in some cases but very ratty credit practices. I bought spent and ran up my cc in repairs etc they just shut me down. The rest are actually increasing my limits. They lost me forever- more than 1/2 paid off - when done forget them

Don't ask me why but supposedly Sears is one of the most difficult credit cards to obtain. *Whatever*

Even with great to excellent credit scores they seem to give rather puny credit lines, and worse interest rates in the double digits (>25% in some cases). You can get better terms from one of Tony Soprano's peeps. You have to pity persons who keep a balance on their Sears card. It really is only good for when they are having interest free offers.

Only thing used mine for was Land's End purchases, and yes, paid the total balance due when the bill came. That apparently wasn't good enough for Sears, a year or so ago got a letter my account was being closed due to "non use". Fine with me; good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
It costs money to handle and stock the products. Retailers are notorious for cutting labor to a minimum, especially a struggling chain like Sears.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There was a time when Craftsman tools were *IT*. So much so that people still pay good money for the vintage stuff.
I still look for old Craftsman tools at swap meets and buy them. The chrome was thick and durable and they were made of steel. New ones from them have plastic parts that break quickly, and the chrome is cheap chrome that chips.

I think the employees sense that they are passengers on the Titanic too, because their attitudes are horrible and they look like the walking dead. No enthusiasm or desire to try to help you. There is one manager there that I have called corporate about (he is super confrontational and rude........every time I see him) and he is still there, being his old nasty self. No team spirit from what I can see.

It seems the world changed around Sears and their leaders didn't have the vision to compete. Sad, very sad, because I really loved Sears in it's heyday.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products