Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times

Advertisements

We live in a rural area and partly because of this, we are more reliant than many people on online shopping for Christmas gifts. Over the past few years, theft of Christmas presents, mail, and even yard decorations has become a rampant problem for several reasons, chief among them the fact that shipping companies just drop the gifts off on people's doorsteps within full view of anyone who happens along. Since we don't have cluster mailboxes, thieves have been stealing Christmas cards for the gift cards they may contain. And the theft of Christmas decorations? Good grief! Burglars come at night and the next day the shocked residents notice that Santa is short one or more reindeer, or that they have no decorations left at all.

I am aware that people will break into cars when customers are at brick and mortar stores, but invading people's homes seems even worse. What kind of lowlife steals Santa from a person's front yard? Many residents won't decorate anymore because of the loss of so many decorations And how do we protect ourselves when online sellers don't require a signature on most purchases? We can't be home all the time. Have you had this happen to you? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:14 PM

24,476 posts, read 26,012,991 times
All of the above has happened and still happing in our city of 160,000. Even cluster boxes are being ripped open.

There have been arrests made, but it seems like it's just a overnight stay and then they are back at it.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,911 times
Thieves don't like cameras.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
.......What kind of lowlife steals Santa from a person's front yard?......Have you had this happen to you? What did you do?
Perhaps the immature (not going to say "kids" for the following description) or the drunk doing it for a "joke".

Had a sailor in the late 80's do that, steal Christmas lawn decorations. I believe it was the only time I went to the Captain to have him sign a search warrant. I don't recall what the sailor got in punishment but the Captain was in one of his very rare VERY ANGRY moods at Captain's Mast.

As to the lawn ornaments, they were returned to the owners.

Maybe they are drunk at the time. Remember this incident?
Sword thief at Colo. Renaissance fair is tackled by woman - NY Daily News

Why else would someone do something like that unless they are drunk?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:27 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
We dont decorate ( well we have signs) but nothing else.. Can you go simple and bolt it down?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:03 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I have never bought anything online, for that one reason, them dropping it off at my door step, in a townhouse community. I'm a night shift worker, I sleep everyday from roughly 9-10am-5-6pm, so I'm not awake to receive the knock on the door, answer the buzzer.

I've been wanting to buy things online, but is there an alternative to them dropping it off at your doorstep? Can you drive to a location, and pick it up there, instead?

Cameras! What good are they!!! The President of our HOA caught someone on camera actually trying to steal the cameras, and his face was right there looking into the camera, he called the police, and: What do you want us to do about it?

The police are in the business of creating revenue for the city, county, state, and what possible revenue could be created arresting someone like that?

Old 11-30-2016, 10:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
I just watched a clip on the news last night. Apparently USPS is aggravating the theft situation. Residents have snapped pictures of lazy mail carriers throwing residents' packages on their front yards! They don't even bother putting the items at the front door; they deposit them where everyone can see them. Had these people not been home, the gifts would have been taken and it's possible some of them have been stolen already.

I'm fortunate this year that I'm homebound, nursing an injured shoulder. I also have two huge dogs, one of which has very keen hearing. So the instant the truck drives up and the mail lady throws something on the porch, she barks twice to alert us the package has arrived. I never hear the truck drive up; it's so quiet. It's nice to know my dog isn't just a mooch. Apparently she finally listened when I told her to get a job

Old 11-30-2016, 07:02 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Thieves don't like cameras.
This is a good point.

I've also found that living in an extremely low crime area helps. I've NEVER had a single package stolen.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have never bought anything online, for that one reason, them dropping it off at my door step, in a townhouse community. I'm a night shift worker, I sleep everyday from roughly 9-10am-5-6pm, so I'm not awake to receive the knock on the door, answer the buzzer.

I've been wanting to buy things online, but is there an alternative to them dropping it off at your doorstep? Can you drive to a location, and pick it up there, instead?

Cameras! What good are they!!! The President of our HOA caught someone on camera actually trying to steal the cameras, and his face was right there looking into the camera, he called the police, and: What do you want us to do about it?

The police are in the business of creating revenue for the city, county, state, and what possible revenue could be created arresting someone like that?
You can get packages delivered direct to ups stores or direct to the post office i believe is an option.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 PM

279 posts, read 356,646 times
Whoever drops off my packages at my door, has their picture taken while they're doing it. Another camera takes a picture of any vehicles that pull up my driveway, including a great shot of their license plate.

Same as when someone comes to the door to remove anything.

Smile

: )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products