Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:59 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Won't help they cut open the box, less bulk when rolling down a street and stealing from everyone
I would say fill it with garbage, household refuse, old packings and maybe the last round from the cat's box ?

My friend got mad when his car got broken into at the mall one year (years ago) So he borrowed a pickup, got some old boxes of things that thieves would love, such as a big box that had a kids ride on car, a TV box, a stereo box. He filled them with plastic sealed bags of animal feces, put them in the back of his friend's pickup, then went to the mall.

Someone took the boxes, probably thought that they were getting a new TV, when they got to their trailer found instead just more poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This is a good point.

I've also found that living in an extremely low crime area helps. I've NEVER had a single package stolen.
I've never had any thing stolen either. I know theft can happen anywhere, but living in a low crime area definitely helps. I wouldn't live in a place where people stole packages.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
use general delivery and pick up at post office?

its not used often by younger people

like putting money in mailbox and postman leaves stamp books in return

Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The thieves aren't just stealing packages and Christmas ornaments. They even stole my wife's trailer hitch from her truck some months back while it was parked in our front yard! We are considered a low crime area, and it's sad to think that we need to set up surveillance cameras to get the packages we paid for. As someone said, it may or may not be an actual deterrent. Having UPS and USPS hold the packages for us would be a better strategy if they can do that.
One day I went down my route to find out the night before a crew had hit that street they stole a water fountain, mailboxes and brass sprinkler heads as they moved down the street. While we once had a fresh Christmas reef stolen off of our door the closest that I can think of decorations being stolen was a political act. After Proposition 8 in California someone hit the nativity scenes that Mormon families put up that December. If they were after decorations I guess Halloween would be next as we normally have more of those up then Christmas decorations

Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 PM

Well today saw a crew break into a bunch of postal delivery vehicles in my district bypassing home security measures. Two more delivery days to Christmas.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I've also found that living in an extremely low crime area helps. I've NEVER had a single package stolen.
That's not the way it works. There is 0 correlation between living in a low crime area & not having packages stolen. In fact, I believe that criminals will actually target wealthier areas because they figure that people that live in a more expensive neighborhood will probably be getting more expensive items in the mail.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 12-22-2016 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
That's not the way it works. There is 0 correlation between living in a low crime area & not having packages stolen. In fact, I believe that criminals will actually target wealthier areas because they figure that people that live in a more expensive neighborhood will probably be getting more expensive items in the mail.
20 years ago mail trucks were broken into to get government checks on three days every month, and they got the newer more secure vehicles first . All those vehicles the backbone of the fleet are now 25 years old and last night it was those types of vehicles on apartment routes (so the carriers might be away for a half hour) adjacent to 2 million dollar homes in Beverlywood and Westside Village in Los Angeles that were hit.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:07 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
I had a christmas wreath on the door, wired to the wreath holder. Thief would have to work to get it!

Xmas is over, wreath is down.

Bah humbug.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
It's worked for me. I've never had anything stolen from the porch.

Interestingly, once a year the stupid people who leave all sorts of goodies in their unlocked cars get cleaned out. They always seem surprised. I still remember when my neighbor ran over, ran!, and told me his car had been broken into. No one broke into his car. It was't locked. His cell phone and laptop were gone. What an idiot. It happened every fall. You could almost mark it on the calendar. Someone would come through and clean out the unlocked cars.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

924 posts, read 752,528 times
Unfortunately, I think I might have been a victim of that this year. What happened was that I'd ordered a CD online, and according to the tracking number/information, it was delivered. (was sent through the post office) However, I never actually received the CD, so I figure one of several things must have happened:

- it was delivered to the wrong address, and that person kept the package.

- someone took the package out of the mailbox before anyone got home and was able to check the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products