Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times

Advertisements

Someone standing around aimlessly near a line is irritating, because I need to ask them whether or not they're in line. Get in line, or stand far away from the line so no one will wonder what the he$$ you're doing.

Also, I really hate line cutters - but, that's another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The thing is - I don'd pay attention to what other people do, or not do, or plan to do and why, when and what are their reasons. If they don't directly interfere with my flow, they can stay 10 feet away from me and look uncertain all day long. Why should a prompt them to move, or unload their grocery if they are not ready to do so?
If someone would start to command me, I would give them a dirty look too
I wasn't commanding her, I was just trying to be nice.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Someone standing around aimlessly near a line is irritating, because I need to ask them whether or not they're in line. Get in line, or stand far away from the line so no one will wonder what the he$$ you're doing.

Also, I really hate line cutters - but, that's another thread.

^^^^^^^
The only contributor who *gets* this thread!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I completely get this thread!

My take on why this happens, is that people are wanting to keep their options open, in case a line looks like it will be fast, but turns out not to be fast. So, they're trying to form a single line, where the next available checker is theirs. Like in the bank, where everyone is in one line, and the person at the front of the line gets the next available teller in a bank with several teller windows open.

Part of the problem is that cashiers in a lot of stores are now supposed to do many different functions, instead of just scanning items and taking payment. They have to deal with complicated WIC purchases, or they also have to do returns with forms they have to fill out, and call a manager to sign off on it, or they also cash checks or create money orders or gift cards, etc., etc.

So, sometimes you're thinking yay! this line will be fast, because there's just one guy with one loaf of bread ahead of me - but then the guy wants a gift card or his check cashed, or he's buying alcohol and the checker can't ring up alcohol...

This especially happened at the Walmart store in the small town I just moved from. The stuff they used to only have done at the customer service desk, was all transferred to the cashiers. Really irritating.

Anyway, I have also been seeing more of this, and this is my theory - people want to create one line and the person at the front of that line gets the next available checker, instead of taking a gamble that the people in front of you won't be a high maintenance customer, and now you're stuck in the middle of a line behind that person.

Actually, I would like that - to have one line and we get the next available checker. But, I've just become more assertive, although smiling and looking friendly while I do it - "Are you in this line?" as I move forward and act like I'm about to put my stuff down. Snooze you lose....

Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I completely get this thread!

My take on why this happens, is that people are wanting to keep their options open, in case a line looks like it will be fast, but turns out not to be fast. So, they're trying to form a single line, where the next available checker is theirs. Like in the bank, where everyone is in one line, and the person at the front of the line gets the next available teller in a bank with several teller windows open.

Part of the problem is that cashiers in a lot of stores are now supposed to do many different functions, instead of just scanning items and taking payment. They have to deal with complicated WIC purchases, or they also have to do returns with forms they have to fill out, and call a manager to sign off on it, or they also cash checks or create money orders or gift cards, etc., etc.

So, sometimes you're thinking yay! this line will be fast, because there's just one guy with one loaf of bread ahead of me - but then the guy wants a gift card or his check cashed, or he's buying alcohol and the checker can't ring up alcohol...

This especially happened at the Walmart store in the small town I just moved from. The stuff they used to only have done at the customer service desk, was all transferred to the cashiers. Really irritating.

Anyway, I have also been seeing more of this, and this is my theory - people want to create one line and the person at the front of that line gets the next available checker, instead of taking a gamble that the people in front of you won't be a high maintenance customer, and now you're stuck in the middle of a line behind that person.

Actually, I would like that - to have one line and we get the next available checker. But, I've just become more assertive, although smiling and looking friendly while I do it - "Are you in this line?" as I move forward and act like I'm about to put my stuff down. Snooze you lose....

So it's customers themslves who are trying to impose the 'bank-style' queueing on supermarket(and Target or Walmart) style checkout areas! Well solly Cholly, I'm going ahead to the next counter while you stand there hedging your bets on which cashier/line is faster. I'm from a simpler time, and that's how we did things.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So it's customers themslves who are trying to impose the 'bank-style' queueing on supermarket(and Target or Walmart) style checkout areas! Well solly Cholly, I'm going ahead to the next counter while you stand there hedging your bets on which cashier/line is faster. I'm from a simpler time, and that's how we did things.
LOL, that's my theory anyway. I was recently in a 99 Cent store in San Jose, which is always packed to the gills. It's laid out horribly, where the aisles are really narrow and they run almost up to the line of cashiers, so people form lines down the aisles. The aisles don't line up exactly to the cashier's counters, so it's random how the lines get formed, but the customers kind of get into agreement on the fact that there is an established line heading to a particular cashier, and get into it.

One of the cashiers was driving herself crazy, trying to control which aisles the customer lines would be in - to the point where she wasn't effectively checking out the people in her line, because she kept stopping and trying to corral a bunch of people - none of whom were about to lose their places in their lines LOL. It was really hilarious. The other cashiers were rolling their eyes and the customers were all kind of secretly winking at each other like - lady, none of us are about to re-queue and lose our places in line. We all just ignored her by just looking dull-eyed or looking away.

But, yeah, I'm with you. If they're not going to commit, I'm moving in.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, that's my theory anyway. I was recently in a 99 Cent store in San Jose, which is always packed to the gills. It's laid out horribly, where the aisles are really narrow and they run almost up to the line of cashiers, so people form lines down the aisles. The aisles don't line up exactly to the cashier's counters, so it's random how the lines get formed, but the customers kind of get into agreement on the fact that there is an established line heading to a particular cashier, and get into it.

One of the cashiers was driving herself crazy, trying to control which aisles the customer lines would be in - to the point where she wasn't effectively checking out the people in her line, because she kept stopping and trying to corral a bunch of people - none of whom were about to lose their places in their lines LOL. It was really hilarious. The other cashiers were rolling their eyes and the customers were all kind of secretly winking at each other like - lady, none of us are about to re-queue and lose our places in line. We all just ignored her by just looking dull-eyed or looking away.

But, yeah, I'm with you. If they're not going to commit, I'm moving in.

I'm what many would call 'old school' - at least when it comes to store checkout lines: as many lines as per open checkout counters. I understand why banks queue customers the way they do, but unless a retail store specifically designs its queueing system that way(with stanchions and signs, like many TJX stores), then I go by the 'line-per-cashier' model seen in supermarkets and just about anywhere else. That's why multiple counters exist in the first place! lol

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 08-07-2017 at 11:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 05:45 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The thing is - I don'd pay attention to what other people do, or not do, or plan to do and why, when and what are their reasons. If they don't directly interfere with my flow, they can stay 10 feet away from me and look uncertain all day long. Why should a prompt them to move, or unload their grocery if they are not ready to do so?
If someone would start to command me, I would give them a dirty look too

Mmhmm. Unless a stranger around me is directly interfering with me in some way, I don't take it upon myself to sort them out or direct them in any way. Many folks might find this rude. Not directing them through a parking spot, trying to prompt them through a line, and certainly not patting a conveyer belt at them. Minding our own business, we used to call it back in the old days.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Mmhmm. Unless a stranger around me is directly interfering with me in some way, I don't take it upon myself to sort them out or direct them in any way. Many folks might find this rude. Not directing them through a parking spot, trying to prompt them through a line, and certainly not patting a conveyer belt at them. Minding our own business, we used to call it back in the old days.
janet bubby, elina:

Read posts #11 and 16. Then you'll get what this thread is about, in the checkout line sense.

Maybe it wasn't necessary of me to tap the counter basically to let the lady behind me know she can occupy the empty belt- which I consider just being polite. But in the cases where I'm going up to the row of checkout stations, I'm not going to just walk by the person standing 8 feet behind the nearest conveyor, basket or cart in hand, body language clearly indicating they are waiting to check out. I am going to ask them what they're doing - "Sir/Ma'm, are you on line?"

If Yes, then I will motion to them to go up to one of the counters. If they say no or don't move up, then I will! I conduct my business frankly and up front: I go straight up to the cashier with what I judge to be the shortest or no line, pay, and gth out of there. If they object, then I lay it out: "If you are on line then you'd be right behind another shopper, not way back there. Sorry!" And I make sure I have payment ready even as I'm loading up the counter for the cashier.

If the lines are all equally dreck(more than 4 people each), then I'll at least pick one randomly, and get on it - not stand 6-8ft back. Common sense, people.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 08-08-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Lol... you are teaching us shopping manners, common sense, right pronunciation.... what's next? Can't wait for next lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products