Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:22 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Somehow Bestbuy and PC Richards stays afloat.
I believe that most all of Best Buy's growth is in online sales. Store sales are flat. They did just have a good quarter, but that is after quite a few years of flat sales. So that just means that they will be around for a few more years. As I said you can delay the demise of brick and mortar, but you can't stop it.

20 years ago Best Buy was my go to place for electronics, but I don't think I have been in a Best Buy in the last 10 years. I do check the Best Buy website a lot, but I don't think I have bought anything from Best Buy in the last three or four years. I usually find better prices on electronics from Amazon Marketplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 PM

194 posts, read 168,294 times
I remember exactly how my local Toys R' Us was set up. There was an underground parking lot as well as parking in front. The underground parking was the most fun. You'd walk up what seemed like a maze with ramps going up to the main level. When I was a kid, we used to race up and down those ramps. You'd pop out in the front of the store. They had a whole corner of the store dedicated to video games. I remember buying an Xbox the day before Thanksgiving there. I also remember buying Nintendo 64 games at counter in the back with the receipt, buying the "game boy advance" etc. I remember it in such vivid detail to, it's scary. I remember what the cashiers looked like, their names and the conversations they had with my mother at the time.

A lot of memorable experiences in that place for me.... *Le sigh*

Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I believe that most all of Best Buy's growth is in online sales. Store sales are flat. They did just have a good quarter, but that is after quite a few years of flat sales. So that just means that they will be around for a few more years. As I said you can delay the demise of brick and mortar, but you can't stop it.

20 years ago Best Buy was my go to place for electronics, but I don't think I have been in a Best Buy in the last 10 years. I do check the Best Buy website a lot, but I don't think I have bought anything from Best Buy in the last three or four years. I usually find better prices on electronics from Amazon Marketplace.
That's where I'm different from the majority I guess. I go to Best Buy almost weekly. I buy movies there, and if need, TV's, computers etc. I just like physically going some place, seeing the product with my own eyes, buying it and coming home with it all right then and there. I also like to not have to deal with shipping in case something is defective and I have to exchange it for something else. With a store, that same day I can go and exchange a defective item. Online, I'd have to ship it back, and then wait for them to ship me a replacement.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I thought I'd heard it all, but this takes gumption the likes of which I've never heard. A financially insolvent company sets up a Gofundme and convinces people to give money in an effort to pay their creditors, assuring the company's temporary survival, so the company can make more money off donors in the future selling them their overpriced wares. Or worse, they'll just disappear with the donors' money in a soon to be completed bankruptcy filing The old adage is true: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Old 03-25-2018, 06:46 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
When I was a kid, there were no store-bought toys at all. We survived and were the better for it, as our play activities were focused on interaction between ourselves, rather than on some pieces of over-priced plastic junk.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was a kid, there were no store-bought toys at all. We survived and were the better for it, as our play activities were focused on interaction between ourselves, rather than on some pieces of over-priced plastic junk.
Then you must be really appalled by where we are now. At least with those plastic pieces of junk, imagination was required and there was still plenty of interaction with other people/kids a lot of the time. At least relative to now. Now most people are anti-social zombies that can't be away from their cell phone and social media for more than 5 minutes or they actually experience legitimate withdrawal symptoms.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I can remember taking my daughter to a Toys R Us and it really was just a place to go buy stuff that was already "sold" by TV commercials. Really, the sales are already made via the television. Might as well just buy it online.

And unless you have a ton of money, you just keep having to tell your kid that they can't have everything they want as they go blind with desire, overwhelmed with everything in every aisle.

I dunno. I can't stand big stores and crowds and noise. But, really, you can still take your kids or grandkids to the toy section of Walmart or any other number of big stores.

And I agree that Toys R Us put the little guys out of business. Even then, I could feel sorry for the little business owners who were bankrupted by Toys R Us, but I never would have given them my own money as a donation. They never asked me if I needed any money to fund my life lol. But, a huge corporation? Never.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
They donated money to an organization that murdered it's future customers...they reap what they sow!

Old 03-25-2018, 09:25 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Why? Let it go.

Toys R Us didn't give anything to you for free and you don't owe anything to them.

It's just another money grubbing business (that was billions in debt).

Old 03-25-2018, 10:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
The money does not go to Toys R Us. Your donation goes to a group of investors who will buy assets of the company if they get sufficient funds. It's clearly stated in the link.

"FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: How is MGA Entertainment involved?

A: MGA Entertainment is not financially involved in this endeavor. Isaac Larian, the CEO of MGA Entertainment, and various investor associates have pledged over $200 million toward a $1 billion goal.

Q: How is Isaac Larian involved?

A: Isaac Larian is leading a group of investors in the campaign to #SaveToysRUs.

Q: How will the contributions be used?

A: The donations will be used in the formulation of a bid to acquire all or some Toys“R”Us assets through the bankruptcy process.

Q: What happens if we don’t meet the goal?

A: If your donation is not used to achieve the purchase of Toys“R”Us in some form, it will be returned to you.

Q: When will I receive my pledge reward?

A: All toy and experience related prizes are contingent upon a successful acquisition of Toys“R”Us. This includes special edition #SaveToysRUs toys, Little Tikes® products, any prize inclusive of travel and accommodation, block parties, store plaque, store naming and Toys“R”Us toys. For all other items, please allow up to 90 days for shipping.

Q: If I contribute more than once, will I receive multiple rewards?

A: Yes, if you contribute more than once you will be eligible to receive all rewards associated with your contribution.

Q: Who can I contact for additional questions not answered here?

A: Please contact donate@savetoysrus.com for further inquiries. Read Latest Update"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products