Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
One idea that I had is that Amazon should allow Household members to split the cost of Prime membership. Whoever pays the higher amount is considered the Primary Member and gets the full benefits.
Do you mean between different households?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
An extra $1.67 a month is too much money?
Not that it's to much money but it's the principal of it. That's how they suck you in over the years with these little increases and every thinks "it's only $1.67" then one day you realize it's now $10.00/month extra. But Bezos didn't became a billionaire for being dumb!

Old 04-27-2018, 04:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Not that it's to much money but it's the principal of it. That's how they suck you in over the years with these little increases and every thinks "it's only $1.67" then one day you realize it's now $10.00/month extra. But Bezos didn't became a billionaire for being dumb!
And what company never raises their prices?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,399 times
A lot of folk's that are Prime members will quit the service if they either don't plan well or are getting tight on money.

We are getting tight on money since we live on a pension and medical cost really cost us this year. Like everyone we have to deal with cutting cost to offset other rising prices. I will start a review of Prime to see if I can use it different to save more money in gasoline and time. I play hardball with Amazon in everything we buy to get the best service and best prices online since we live so far from shopping.

So crunch your numbers to see if Prime can save you money and time even with a raise in cost.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Do you mean between different households?
Amazon Household is a feature that allows sharing of Prime benefits to an additional household member, with the paying member getting the full benefits. In my idea of split membership costs the it can be split between husband and wife or father and son, with the higher paying member getting full benefits.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The annual membership fee is going up from $99 to $119 starting in May.

Amazon is raising the price of Prime to $119
Not going up until it is time for renewal. I just bought in November, so my rates don't go up until next November.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
And before anyone thinks about switching to Walmart, take a look at your Amazon order history and check what percentage of your purchases are over $35. I actually buy a lot of items under $35. Plus, if your area qualifies, on Amazon you can get Free Same-Day or One-Day Shipping on purchases over $35 with qualifying items.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
I never understand people's complaints on the price of Prime. If they listed it as $10 a month, I doubt people would care. But for some reason because its one yearly payment, people suddenly think its a huge waste of money.

The highest Netfix plan is $13.99 a month. Thats almost $170 annually. Its much more expensive than Prime, but I never hear of people being bashed for paying for Netflix. And with Netflix, all you get is a streaming service. At least with Prime you get a lot more for less money.
Actually, Amazon recently started offering Prime memberships on a monthly basis for $10.99/month. Soon after implementing this, they raised the monthly rate to $12.99/month in an attempt to discourage the monthly memberships and switch members back to buying annual memberships.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Quote:
And what company never raises their prices?

Again,it's not just about raising their prices it's about needs vs wants. I need gas,groceries etc but I don't need 2 day shipping! It's a nice feature but not a necessity for me,my money can be well spent in other places. YMMV

Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'll gladly pay it, because it's a huge bargain for the shipping alone.
But, this is where they trick you. The price seems cheap, but the price actually includes shipping.

So, if you can order online and pick up in store from say Walmart or Home Depot, you'll save a LOT of money.

Nobody ships anything for free. And a $10/month membership fee that supposedly includes unlimited free shipping is a hoax.

Take the time to comparison shop between the actual cost of an item at somewhere besides Amazon, and the actual shipping cost or the option to pick up in store - and you'll discover that Amazon isn't such a great deal after all.

Then, look at how Amazon nickels and dimes you on everything, such as movies you want to watch, that aren't included in Prime, and shows you want to watch that require a subscription to Starz, or whatever, and then look at how much you would spend if you just paid for that subscription separately without an Amazon membership - and you'll discover that Amazon isn't cheaper.

People have just become lazy. They still assume that Amazon is the best deal out there, but they're wrong.

People really need to be afraid of companies who want a complete monopoly of every service you need. This is scary. Beyond just a monopoly on say, gasoline. This is a new conundrum for this era, and we need to be really careful about letting it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products