Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I never ever order delivery. Never have done & I hope never have to.
I rarely order take out of any kind. I'd rather eat at a regular restaurant. Take out makes such a mess and involves so much paper.

The infrequent times that I do take food out, I call on the phone. If the order is any more complicated - that calls for a restaurant. And a glass of wine.

I really don't understand ordering food online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 PM

14,325 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really don't understand ordering food online.
Have you ever looked at a menu for ordering online? It's like buying anything else online. You select the items you want to order, put them in a cart, then check out and pay. You also choose the time you want the food to be ready. Couldn't really be simpler.

Of course there is no need to do it ever, if you find it confusing or offputting.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
I do get take out a few times a year, about 50/50 if I order it ahead of time online or even by phone or if I make a decision on the way home and just stop and wait for it. I don't really mind doing that, I can just sit and relax while it's being cooked because I know I don't have to go home and cook!

But when I saw the thread title, I wasn't sure if this was about prepared restaurant/take out food or about online grocery ordering. I don't actually do that all that often but it has been extremely convenient when I have. This week, I just used my local grocery store's pick up service, which was all kinds of awesome. I put my order in online, picked an hour long window for pick up. They send an email or text to confirm your order is ready, you go there and park in a designated area, call them to let them know you are there and a few minutes later, they come out and load all your groceries right into your car. I will definitely be using that service again!

Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I do online orders for restaurant food about 1-2 times a month. Order take out using the phone 1-2 times a month. But food/pantry items from Amazon about 4-5 times a month.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,518 times
Never for restaurant food, but I have used online ordering for groceries.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I did once when I first moved here and the delivery was free for your first order. I got Indian food and it came from a first class restaurant. I won't do it again because it's faster and easier just to call and order.

Twenty years ago when I was recovering from surgery, I did grocery orders online. That was worth it because you are getting so many different things, not just a meal. They delivered but there was a charge, of course, so I only did that when I had to.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I ordered dried mango slices off ebay once

and old plantation sausage seasonings.....
this is about it for food..

I shop the sales and have yet seen any better pricing online..

I don't order delivery .. or .take out ..

I rather enjoy going into a store and look at whats fresh for me...and not let others make that decision... tho the trend of self check outs …..and impersonal service are blurring the lines …
one day when im older and maybe cant get around as easily..maybe ill order more online

Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I guess it depends on what we are talking about when we say, ordering food on line. If we are talking about from restaurant for delivery or pick up: never. I do take out, but not on line a couple of times a year; normally I prefer to cook or sit down at the restaurant and enjoy someone else waiting on me.

If we are talking groceries: once a month I do my Sam's shopping on line for pick up and lover it Just did my May order yesterday. We save money because we are not tempted to buy what we don't need and it is so convenient and quick. Order at my leisure the day or two before and then just drive to the outside pickup and they load the car for us. I have ordered a few things from Amazon on line as well: nuts, Trader Joe's snacks, cheeses, etc. Usually I do this for Christmas gifts

Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess it depends on what we are talking about when we say, ordering food on line. If we are talking about from restaurant for delivery or pick up: never. I do take out, but not on line a couple of times a year; normally I prefer to cook or sit down at the restaurant and enjoy someone else waiting on me.

If we are talking groceries: once a month I do my Sam's shopping on line for pick up and lover it Just did my May order yesterday. We save money because we are not tempted to buy what we don't need and it is so convenient and quick. Order at my leisure the day or two before and then just drive to the outside pickup and they load the car for us. I have ordered a few things from Amazon on line as well: nuts, Trader Joe's snacks, cheeses, etc. Usually I do this for Christmas gifts
I'm different because I don't see the advantage of ordering online if you still have to go out and pick it up and carry it all home. Also, how do you know the condition of the food: will the bananas be green, will the potatoes be soft, will the tomatoes be anemic, other vegetables could be damaged or rotten. Meats too, I want to see them first before buying them.

I am never tempted to buy more just because I'm in a grocery store. I know exactly what I need and I get it. I think the biggest advantage would be if you are sick and can't get out. I hate grocery shopping but I'd still rather go and pick out my own food. Now that you mention it, I do get nuts and different varieties of flour from Vitacost.com.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,508 times
I probably order restaurant food about once a week. It’s so convenient to be able to order before I leave work, then pick up on the way home. Plus, as another poster stated, I’d rather not have to speak to someone. Just make my selections online, pay and pickup.

When I had surgery a few months back, I ordered groceries online. That was okay. I much prefer to select produce and meats myself than have someone do it for me. And at $19 for delivery, it became pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products