Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:24 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I do it sometimes, like about every 3-5 mos. I love when I order & can pay already & my SO (significant other) simply picks it up on his way from work. It makes things so quick & easy.

We just ordered food from Cafe Rio just now!

Any other comments about it?
never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 PM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread is about ordering online, not about delivery. We do order online but don't waste money on delivery; it only takes a few minutes to pick it up ourselves and there is no delivery fee and no tip needed.

Of course delivery is a great thing for people who are ill/disabled/exhausted/have no transportation, etc., but none of that applies to us so we just drive over and get our food.
Right, online & delivery are not necessarily the same things as we (should) know.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM

1,371 posts, read 669,702 times
Once in a while takeout or delivery online from a restaurant. Unfortunately, a lot of restaurants still don't have online ordering unless you are ordering through Delivery Dudes or Door Dash or similar, and I refuse to pay their delivery fees on top of a decent tip for the driver, besides the fact you can't take advantage of specials the restaurant might be offering. Of course if it's pouring down rain, then it's sometimes worth paying the extra $$.

We order food items we can't get locally, like fresh wild mushrooms, Pacific NW oysters, etc online and have been lucky so far. Of course I read reviews before ordering.

I'll order pantry type items through Amazon, but we don't order groceries online because I'm picky about my produce and meats.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
once.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
We live far enough out of town that none of the local places deliver to our house. We maybe order carry out every few months. We're more likely to go out to eat than order take out.

I initially thought you were asking about groceries. I've used PeaPod in the past. I just got out of the habit. Years ago we used a food plan company that delivered meat, frozen veggies and fruits, etc. every six months. For about the first 10 years or so it was a significant savings for us. The prices started going up so I stopped ordering from them.

I looked into instacart, but they also don't deliver to my house despite the emails they send me constantly. I need to start taking advantage of the pick-up options a few of the grocery stores in my area offer. It would save me significant time.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Never. I cook everything at home.
Ditto! And I still haven't recovered from that thread, Have You Ever Been Food Poisoned?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm different because I don't see the advantage of ordering online if you still have to go out and pick it up and carry it all home. Also, how do you know the condition of the food: will the bananas be green, will the potatoes be soft, will the tomatoes be anemic, other vegetables could be damaged or rotten. Meats too, I want to see them first before buying them.

I am never tempted to buy more just because I'm in a grocery store. I know exactly what I need and I get it. I think the biggest advantage would be if you are sick and can't get out. I hate grocery shopping but I'd still rather go and pick out my own food. Now that you mention it, I do get nuts and different varieties of flour from Vitacost.com.
I posted up thread about doing a store pick up grocery order and found it to be a really great experience. The advantage is that you can stop by and get your groceries but they are already picked out and paid for, no walking around the store and no waiting in line to check out, wait for them to be bagged, paying, etc. So it was in fact a big time saver because I was there for about 7 minutes total, far less time than a typical shopping trip takes. In this particular case, I did it because I've been recuperating from the flu and while I was well enough to go back to work, I didn't have enough extra energy after working to grocery shop.

And they did a very good job of picking out produce - I don't know if they have a produce department employee doing that, or if the shoppers are trained, but any time I've done grocery delivery (used to do delivery from Sprouts via Amazon Prime before they switched to Whole Foods) and then this time through our local version of Kroger, they really did a great job of it. They know that if it's not up to par, they not only end up having to do a refund when people complain, but they risk losing customers, not just of the delivery service but the store itself.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:55 AM

17,771 posts, read 9,215,344 times
I always order online. Restaurants and groceries.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:47 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,477,471 times
If you mean ordering a meal for pick up then usually every Tuesday. It's my crazy busy day so online works for me. I personally hate calling in an order. I think online is faster and more accurate.

Now if you mean groceries then a few times a year. If you mean food I can't get locally, crisps from The UK for example, then maybe every other month or so.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ditto! And I still haven't recovered from that thread, Have You Ever Been Food Poisoned?
I am guessing we all have once or twice and it isn't fun, but it can come from food you get at the grocery store as well, especially meat and poultry. Plus a lot of what we think is food poisoning is really stomach flue and visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products