Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Hello everyone!

I would like to know if my situation has ever happened to anyone on here. And, if so, what was the specific outcome?

I was sent a small package from India. I have a tracking number and know that it cleared customs in New York more than two weeks ago. My package was then sent to a town about 20 miles from me. Then, it proceeded to a local distribution center about 12 miles from my home. The problem is, is that it's been stuck there "in-transit" for 12 days, according to my tracking number information. I contacted my local post office and was then told that they would send an email to that plant for more information. No, my package has not been officially "delayed", and the local post office still acts as if I am going to receive this package.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Thank you so much in advance.
I can only tell you that the post office is disgracefully lax, probably partly because people don't officially complain much, but mostly because there is very little accountability.

Do you still not have it? I would call - not just your local post office, but the head of that branch. Get his name. And whatever he promises to do, call him again two days later to pester him. If he's not keeping it on top, call the local USPS consumer affairs office.

And, ultimately, written complaints are always a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM

978 posts, read 675,085 times
and you didn't just travel the 12 miles to the other post office because....????

Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 PM

736 posts, read 485,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
and you didn't just travel the 12 miles to the other post office because....????
Hi there!

You cannot collect your mail at a distribution center as far I know. It was not sitting at a post office.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I say good luck to you. I had a package show up at the distribution center the next town over and just disappear into thin air at that point. I'd had it sent to a retail pick up point near me and I have a sneaking suspicion it was delivered to the wrong store and never logged in as received there. Probably picked back up and sent off to wherever unclaimed packages go for eternity. I got my money back, but still...

Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I say good luck to you. I had a package show up at the distribution center the next town over and just disappear into thin air at that point. I'd had it sent to a retail pick up point near me and I have a sneaking suspicion it was delivered to the wrong store and never logged in as received there. Probably picked back up and sent off to wherever unclaimed packages go for eternity. I got my money back, but still...
Sorry to hear about your story. Your theory is probably the correct one. Common courtesy is expected when you receive a package that doesn't belong to you, or shouldn't be with you, but...

USPS is never as reliable as what might think at time. I do not like to complain as this is the first time this has happened to me.

By the way, I ended up receiving my package on Saturday.

Itinerary of my package:

1) Clears customs in NYC a week after it was sent
2) 2 days later, package arrives at a local distribution center 20 miles away
3) 1 day later, package arrives at a local distribution center 10 miles away
4) Package stays at the 10-mile-away local distribution center for about 2 weeks
5) Package is then sent 300 miles away to a distribution center in NYC
6) 1 days later, package is sent to a distribution center 200 miles from me in the other direction (west of me)
7) 1 day later, package is delivered to my home with a green Express delivery sticker on it. I had to sign for it.

Interestingly, my package was not sent express as it was a first-class package. Maybe my complaining to the local post office made them decide to change the status of my package to express delivery to compensate me for all the inconvenience. Who knows really? I am just happy to have received my package. Sadly, that was not your experience.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I'm glad to hear your package came through. Good on whoever made that happen for you, sometimes it pays to be a squeaky wheel.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Glad you finally received it!!

Old 08-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Yes, I am grateful. I had $40 worth of goods in that package.

Thank you all for your input and well wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products