Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
This gave me a chuckle.

I am so sorry, it wasn't mean-spirited, but in today's world can you fathom anyone paying with Discover?

Who even owns a Discover card? Visa seems to be the last man standing.

I'm always an outlier. I do have Visa and Mastercard, but I've always used Discover for the points and they have been so great about alerting me to suspicious activity. What's wrong with Discover? And why would a store not accept Visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 09:52 AM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'm always an outlier. I do have Visa and Mastercard, but I've always used Discover for the points and they have been so great about alerting me to suspicious activity. What's wrong with Discover? And why would a store not accept Visa?

Neiman Marcus used to refuse Visa, claiming that Visa wasn't good enough for its customers (apparently for security reasons).

Huh. I think I'm capable of figuring out which credit card I need. So I use that credit card at Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor and will not shop at Neiman Marcus after that awkward experience, even though I think NM now accepts others.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Neiman Marcus used to refuse Visa, claiming that Visa wasn't good enough for its customers (apparently for security reasons).

Huh. I think I'm capable of figuring out which credit card I need. So I use that credit card at Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor and will not shop at Neiman Marcus after that awkward experience, even though I think NM now accepts others.
oh yeah! I remember seeing that, I think when they opened here? Not sure when. Or maybe it was an article? I was like, I guess this is not the store for me. :P

I have bought a few things from there over the years. Maybe half a dozen items from the outlet and fewer from the store. We have 2 nearish to me. But one is a crappy small store. The other flagship is a bit out of the way considering it is not really in budget for me as well. But I did get something this winter - a splurge for me, but it was on super clearance there. It was worth it. Well now I guess I am not wearing this blazer because I am at home. Bu considering I only got to wear it for 2 months, I think I fit in like 7-8 wears after getting it altered, it will turn out fine for cost per wear when things are back to normal.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
oh yeah! I remember seeing that, I think when they opened here? Not sure when. Or maybe it was an article? I was like, I guess this is not the store for me. :P

I have bought a few things from there over the years. Maybe half a dozen items from the outlet and fewer from the store. We have 2 nearish to me. But one is a crappy small store. The other flagship is a bit out of the way considering it is not really in budget for me as well. But I did get something this winter - a splurge for me, but it was on super clearance there. It was worth it. Well now I guess I am not wearing this blazer because I am at home. Bu considering I only got to wear it for 2 months, I think I fit in like 7-8 wears after getting it altered, it will turn out fine for cost per wear when things are back to normal.
I do track certain brand on their site, & on their outlet/final clearance site. You can luck in to some nice, normally unaffordable stuff at good prices.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
From someone who absolutely LOVES shopping malls & strolling them & actually shopping from them sometimes to often, I really hope dept stores can hold up through all this. I know things weren't the best even before covid hit.

If all dept stores closed, I don't know what would happen to malls either because they all have dept stores in them too & not just the little shops & boutiques.

Overall, I personally still like to see & touch clothing, jewelry, shoes, sunglasses, purses, etc. IN-PERSON & even try them on at times. There's a certain excitement & fun w/ ordering online & getting packages in the mail, but it's still not quite the same.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I hate shopping, but it's still sad. For myself, I cannot buy clothes online. Have to feel and assess the texture and quality and certainly try everything on, since sizing is so wildly inconsistent.

In the States, we make a stop at REI and blow a wad. It fits our lifestyle and they seem to be doing quite well.

I'm amazed others can do clothes and shoes online. I'm sure it makes life alot easier.

Malls and department stores still big down here since Amazon has no presence and mail is rarely reliable. Sigh.

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 05-23-2020 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Like rubber and butter shortages of WW2 once we find we don’t need them we don’t go back
What! Who doesn't love rubber and butter !

Old 07-08-2020, 11:03 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Although I'm not much of a shopper, I will be sad to see any of the nicer department stores close down. When I do shop, I want to see and handle items and try on clothing. I also want my local residents to have a job. Young people often start out at retail stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products