Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:10 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
They tend to be independent and local/regional, not chains.

And not have BEDROOM SETS FROM $399 in six-foot letters across the front.

ETA: There are some that seem to be franchises and sell a major maker's products. Ethan Allen stores are common. There are also "Scandinavian Furniture" stores in most larger cities if modern-ish design appeals to you.
Ethan Allen was the first name that popped into my mind when she asked for a quality furniture store as well. Especially since we had them make two settees for us a couple of years ago that we really like.

https://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/sho...#start=1&sz=80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Baer's Furniture. Bought a high quality leather sofa & loveseat there that lasted 17 years and I only replaced it because the loveseat was seriously damaged by my new rescue dog. She's never done anything like that since. The loveseat had a tiny rip in it and I guess she was bored that day because I was gone 6 hours.
Baer's is another quality furniture store that we like, albeit not a national firm like Ethan Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:26 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
One day as I was sorting through shelves of jeans for my kids, unfolding to look at sizes and refolding, I had an epiphany. I don’t have time or patience to look through 15 pairs of jeans for each of my kids, DH, and me. I buy my jeans online and have for many years. I don’t buy DH’s jeans any more. And my kids are grown.

I was never a big Penney’s shopper. But it seems to me that there should be room in our economy for middle of the road, basic clothing.

And you can buy Tall sizes at Lands End. I buy Tall tops from them all the time.

I’ve never bought Amazon brand clothing. How is the quality?
Amazon carries a few of the same national brands sold by JCPenney, including PVH's Heritage Brands. In fact, Amazon even sells PVH's premium brands Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein which are normally sold at Macy's. There are several other mid-range to premium national brands on Amazon that JCPenney sells as well (Levi's comes to mind). However, one that recently pulled out was Nike.

As for Amazon's private label clothing, I never tried it. I have bought a few private label products from Amazon, but never clothing.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
The problem is in your question: Ron Johnson didn't try to make JCP "upscale" as much as change their entire retailing model to what had worked for him at Apple. There was some attempted elevation of stature and brands, but mostly he followed a plan that was half Apple-sclusive (all you need is a brand venerated around the world, see) and half utterly generic. Eliminating sales and coupons just reinforced the wrong model and image, alienating the existing base without attracting one iPhone 8 fashionista.

It's a textbook case of how The Tech Way cannot be used to run everything. An expensive case with sad and unnecessary results.
He thought coupons were addicting, as I remember. I have no patience with store coupons, but when your customer base uses these extensively, you should not eliminate them all at once. He eliminated most of his customer base, I think, out of contempt, or at least a lack of respect.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:11 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
He thought coupons were addicting, as I remember. I have no patience with store coupons, but when your customer base uses these extensively, you should not eliminate them all at once. He eliminated most of his customer base, I think, out of contempt, or at least a lack of respect.
It was the sales that brought me in. All of my curtains were bought less then 1/2 price that way.

I used to wear Lee jeans because I could buy a 34 or 36 length. Victoria's Secret was selling London jeans in 36 length so I started shopping there for women's pants when they had sales. I stocked up a few years ago when I found the style I liked on sale but they stopped selling them. I'm going to be needing to buy some, Kohl's supposedly sold them last time I looked. I'm going to have to start googling in the next few months, hoping I can find them somewhere.

I see Amazon sells a London jean but it's not the right London jean company. I hope they didn't go out of business. I'm finding a site with gently used but unfortunately they're too short

Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
He thought coupons were addicting, as I remember.
I don't think I'd heard that.

It's staggering coming from someone who helped develop an industry that relies on addiction for its products — look, feel, brand, aura and above all UIs designed to make their use and operation a black hole of attention sink.

But then, perhaps the stronger element was coming from a company that basically never, ever discounts their products. Older models get repriced sometimes, but I don't think Apple ever discounts their product line or supports sellers who do so (directly).

Old 05-18-2020, 02:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
I don't think I'd heard that.

It's staggering coming from someone who helped develop an industry that relies on addiction for its products — look, feel, brand, aura and above all UIs designed to make their use and operation a black hole of attention sink.

But then, perhaps the stronger element was coming from a company that basically never, ever discounts their products. Older models get repriced sometimes, but I don't think Apple ever discounts their product line or supports sellers who do so (directly).
Yes. I think the real reason he failed so badly is because he did not value the old customers. He was not conversant with the kind of retailing J C Penneys did. He seemed to think he could remake the brand quickly, bringing in a younger, hipper customer base.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:17 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Yes. I think the real reason he failed so badly is because he did not value the old customers. He was not conversant with the kind of retailing J C Penneys did. He seemed to think he could remake the brand quickly, bringing in a younger, hipper customer base.
That, I knew. This is one of my go-to case studies when some starry-eyed tech ween insists that their world can run the whole world.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:01 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Good riddance.
They're not liquidating, they're just reorganizing. Although they plan to close 192 stores this year and sell 50 stores it owns next year, they will still be left with over 600 stores going forward.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Like most retailers they have too many stores. Needed to trim down some.

Stafford and some of JCP other men's lines are outstanding and better quality than Macy's private label brands and at a lower price point.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
They tend to be independent and local/regional, not chains.

And not have BEDROOM SETS FROM $399 in six-foot letters across the front.

ETA: There are some that seem to be franchises and sell a major maker's products. Ethan Allen stores are common. There are also "Scandinavian Furniture" stores in most larger cities if modern-ish design appeals to you.
Haven't been in a quality furniture store in years. Even Ethan Allen doesn't sell what they used to. Mostly junk furniture now days. Sad part is how much most of these places today charge for junk. Take some junk word, let the CNC carve in some fancy designs, give a dark stain, set it up in a room setting and fool people into thinking it's find furniture. Furniture doesn't have to look fancy to be well made; well made furniture lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products