Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times

Advertisements

So my family misses the GE convection oven we had. It sadly died a couple years ago. But my air fryer filled in the cooking gaps for the most part. Still the family liked the ease of use the convection oven had.
It was handier than the regular oven. It took a couple years, but I'm kinda missing it to.

I've seen a few around that peaked my interest.

PowerXL Air Fryer Grill
Emeril Lagasse Power AirFryer 360
PowerXL Microwave Air Fryer

NuWave Bravo XL Air Fryer Smart Oven

Oster Designed for Life Extra-Large Convection Toaster Oven
Oster Digital French Door Oven
Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Oven
Oster Extra-Large Digital Toaster Oven with Convection Bake

Has anyone here have, or had one of these? If not, do you know anyone that does? What are thoughts of these convection ovens?

How well do these handle frozen pizzas? 12"-16" Does any one model stand above the rest?
I wasn't planning on getting an air fryer oven model. But if the model has all the right features, with the right size oven then I might.

If there are any other brands I should check out, post them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 AM

194 posts, read 305,814 times
We have a Cuisinart counter top convection/toaster/air fry oven, and absolutely love it! I know you can cook a 12" pizza, perhaps a 16". You can cook a whole chicken, or a small turkey. It's very versatile!
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a..._ovens/toa-60/

Old 08-25-2020, 03:54 AM

I've seen that, but I'm trying to stick with the "microwave size/shape".

These would be closer to what I would like to find:

Cuisinart’s Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a...ens/tob-260n1/

The Cuisinart Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a...vens/tob-135n/

One other thing I'd prefer digital controls.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Daisy View Post
We have a Cuisinart counter top convection/toaster/air fry oven, and absolutely love it! I know you can cook a 12" pizza, perhaps a 16". You can cook a whole chicken, or a small turkey. It's very versatile!
I guess it is cheaper than using my normal oven? I live alone and use the oven a lot.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:02 AM

Well after doing some crazy research, I had a short list of convection ovens to check out.

But I finally decided on a newer model of this convection oven:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-...erie/120169727

I picked it up at one my local WallyWorld's.

So far it looks good.

Pros:

Size & price: It is a nice size, and fits where I had my old convection oven. The price was decent for what I was getting. Yes, I did get the 2yr plan. I want to have this oven for at least 3-5 good yrs.

2 racks: I can fit 12" frozen pizzas. I've already checked the pans I have, and they fit nicely.

Controls: At first I wanted my new convection oven to have digital controls like my old one. But those new models offered more features that I'd probably never use. They cost $$ as well.

This model offers: Bake, Convection Bake, Broil, Rotisserie

Which to me is plenty of cooking features. Although having Air Fry feature would have been nice. I didn't need it, because I already have a nice air fryer. As for the Rotisserie, I'm not sure if I'd use it much. I will try it to see how well it works. That would be a three strike test. First is how long it takes to setup. Second how well the food cooks. Also how long. Third and the big one, cleaning the mess left over. If cleaning it after using the Rotisserie is a pita, then no Rotisserie.

Cons:

Controls: Yes this is also a con, for now. I did want digital controls. But those models had too many cook functions that I'd never use. I have read the instruction manual, and it seems tedious compared to digital settings. But that may change after I read it a couple times more. The book is broken down into sections for each setting. That's a bit overwhelming. So I will have to make a instruction "cheat sheet" to simplify it.

After I get that ready, I'll see what I have that is begging to be cooked. I'll post my results: good, bad, ugly.

Also if anyone is interested in other models I was checking out, let me know. I'll post them here.

FYI: French Door models was one feature I was avoiding like the plague. Even though they seem "nice". I've came across (spanning several websites) hundreds of bad reviews about them. IE: Doors being too hot, not opening correctly, not staying open, snapping shut on people, breaking glass, etc.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I was always partial to the Blodgett FA-100
Dead reliable and super fast.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Daisy View Post
Wow, you can cook all these things? I am excited. I got one of these to replace my old Cuisinart brick oven (that thing was awesome, but big, heavy and looked like it had been through a nuclear holocaust) and have thus far just used it for reheating as I have only been in my new place 3 weeks. I never used my real oven with the brick oven and can’t now because it’s old and won’t actually close.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:06 AM

Well my first time using my new convection oven went ok.

For its inauguration meal frozen pizza. I figured that would be a easy first test. Well it kinda was.

The victim was a Digiorno Pizza. When I cook these in my "regular oven" I have the routine down cold.

Preheat oven 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Cook pizza on 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Going by the instructions in the guide, it should have took the same amount of time.

I set the temperature to 350 degrees and function to "Convection". I would have used the "Bake"
function, but the guide says "Convection" for pizzas. So I used it.

So to preheat the oven you need to turn the timer dial past 40 minutes, then back to 10 minutes. This oven uses a 10 minute preheat. The red light goes on, and you hear the oven timer ticking. After the oven was done heating the bell rung. It wasn't to loud, kinda like a deskbell.

So I put in my pizza on a pan. I turned the timer dial past 40 minutes, then back to 25 minutes. The red light went on, and pizza was cooking. After the 25 minutes the bell rung, and oven went off.

I checked the pizza. It wasn't bad, but need a few more minutes. So put it back in set the oven for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, the bell rung. I checked the pizza, it still needed a few more minutes. So
I put it back in for another 5 minutes. After additional five minutes I noticed the light wasn't on while the timer was cooking. The bell rung, and I checked the pizza. It still needed a couple more minutes.

It was at this point were I realized I made two mistakes cooking my pizza. The first mistake was not turning the timer dial past 40 minutes, then back to 5 minutes for the extra time. By not doing that
only the timer was running, the oven was off. I did that twice. But the second mistake is what really messed the cooking time up. I forgot to take the large rotisserie drip pan out of the oven.
With this thing on the bottom the pizza wasn't getting the heat directly.

Although this pizza took 40 minutes to cook, the Convection oven worked fine. It was user error that caused the delay. I'm sure that if the rotisserie drip pan wasn't in the oven, the pizza would have been done in 25 minutes. I also used a solid pizza pan, but it heated up fine.

I will make sure to fix my errors and try it again. Depending on that future result I will decide if I want to try preheating the pan in the oven. I may also try a pan with holes.

Well the pizza tasted good. For it's first use I give this convection oven. ***1/2 But I'm hopeful
that rating will improve for my next pizza.

Convection Ovens next challenge: Rotisserie Chicken

Old 09-12-2020, 12:30 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
So my family misses the GE convection oven we had. It sadly died a couple years ago. But my air fryer filled in the cooking gaps for the most part. Still the family liked the ease of use the convection oven had.
It was handier than the regular oven. It took a couple years, but I'm kinda missing it to.

I've seen a few around that peaked my interest.

PowerXL Air Fryer Grill
Emeril Lagasse Power AirFryer 360
PowerXL Microwave Air Fryer

NuWave Bravo XL Air Fryer Smart Oven

Oster Designed for Life Extra-Large Convection Toaster Oven
Oster Digital French Door Oven
Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Oven
Oster Extra-Large Digital Toaster Oven with Convection Bake

Has anyone here have, or had one of these? If not, do you know anyone that does? What are thoughts of these convection ovens?

How well do these handle frozen pizzas? 12"-16" Does any one model stand above the rest?
I wasn't planning on getting an air fryer oven model. But if the model has all the right features, with the right size oven then I might.

If there are any other brands I should check out, post them.
We have used the Oster convection ovens for ten years (the drop-down door model) and I think it’s a good appliance. They are one of the few out there that have an interior light. Our big ovens are also convection but for small stuff the toaster oven is more convenient and uses a lot less power.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:15 AM

Well after a week I had to return the Convection Oven I bought back to Wallyworld.

It wasn't heating that good. I was planning to replace it with the same model. But the experience at the customer service desk left me concerned. The model I liked was out of stock in store. I could have had one delivered there, and pick it up. But the staff working there is "questionable", carelessly mishandling
merchandise.

So I decided to get a similar model from Home Depot. Although it will cost more, I've never had issues with them. I should have it in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products