Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:47 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

I haven't done many returns to Nordstrom, but the last time was about 1 year ago. I returned 2 or 3 cashmere sweaters that had holes in the elbow, not wearable. I called my local Nordstrom in Durham, NC recently asking about returns. They will no longer return items with any damage. But they encouraged me to come in and see what they had in stock.

I'm curious if anyone else shops at Nordstrom and if you have run into this new policy? I have searched online for cashmere sweaters but either they are out of stock or the quality is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 07:15 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
How old are the sweaters? Did you have a receipt or other proof of purchase? While it’s possible a sweater develops holes due to a defect, the fact that you said 2 or 3 sweaters all developed holes in the elbows sounds like they just wore out. A store is under no obligation to return merchandise that has reached the end of its use. Nothing lasts forever.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 PM

Thank you for your post. Nordstrom *used to* accept returns on items that were more than a year old, with things like holes in the sleeves. They *have stopped* accepting these type of items. They accepted before but they don't accept them now. That's why the thread is called "Nordstrom CHANGES their return policy".

Old 02-17-2022, 10:03 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thank you for your post. Nordstrom *used to* accept returns on items that were more than a year old, with things like holes in the sleeves. They *have stopped* accepting these type of items. They accepted before but they don't accept them now. That's why the thread is called "Nordstrom CHANGES their return policy".
Wow!. I can’t believe they ever accepted things that old. I used to shop at Nordstrom’s and never would have dared to take anything back that old lol.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow!. I can’t believe they ever accepted things that old. I used to shop at Nordstrom’s and never would have dared to take anything back that old lol.
I buy something at a retailer. It has a problem say after 6 months. I call the retailer. Can I return this item? They say yes. I return the item AND also buy item #2. Seems pretty simple.

When retailer says no you can’t return it then…… I don’t return it.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
LOL...what are you doing to your sweaters to wear holes in them? That's not a manufacture's defect, but rather an issue with how they are being used. In my 58 years of life on this planet, I've never worn a hole in an elbow of a sweater.

I think their policy is spot on.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
LOL...what are you doing to your sweaters to wear holes in them? That's not a manufacture's defect, but rather an issue with how they are being used. In my 58 years of life on this planet, I've never worn a hole in an elbow of a sweater.

I think their policy is spot on.
How they are being used??? It’s called wearing a sweater???

Old 02-17-2022, 01:10 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, when I read the thread title, I thought Nordstrom had maybe done something outrageous like tell you there's only, say, a 30-day return policy now.

Instead, after your SECOND post in this thread (because in your 1st post you weren't clear at all -- it sounded like you were returning NEW, UNUSED, UNWORN ITEMS), you wrote that they USED to accept returns AFTER A YEAR -- even after you'd worn them (and worn them OUT, as they NOW had holes in the sleeves!).

THAT is the policy that was very unusual; almost no retailers do that, because why would they? I mean, you've worn it for a year, it wears out, and ... you want to RETURN it for a refund?

What I find amazing is that you WORE OUT your sweaters, then got a refund from Nordstrom. I would have said to myself, "I wore this out, I will go buy another one." NOT "I wore this out, maybe I can get another one for free."

Wow.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:28 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They were famously generous, still are AFAIK. Famously they once refunded a set of tires that they never sold. A few years ago they did change the policy to offering the refund in the original form of payment, largely to stop return fraud (Steal a sweater, return the sweater for cash.) 10-15 years ago they changed their policy on evening gowns, whereby if the tags are removed they won't return it, since people were commonly buying it for a single night's use then returning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I buy something at a retailer. It has a problem say after 6 months. I call the retailer. Can I return this item? They say yes. I return the item AND also buy item #2. Seems pretty simple.

When retailer says no you can’t return it then…… I don’t return it.

Seems pretty simple to me.
My .02 is that if you showed up at the store with the original receipt they would probably return it, depending on how old they are. It's a lot easier to tell you no over the phone.

Officially their policy remains a "case by case basis."

Old 02-17-2022, 01:32 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, when I read the thread title, I thought Nordstrom had maybe done something outrageous like tell you there's only, say, a 30-day return policy now.

Instead, after your SECOND post in this thread (because in your 1st post you weren't clear at all -- it sounded like you were returning NEW, UNUSED, UNWORN ITEMS), you wrote that they USED to accept returns AFTER A YEAR -- even after you'd worn them (and worn them OUT, as they NOW had holes in the sleeves!).

THAT is the policy that was very unusual; almost no retailers do that, because why would they? I mean, you've worn it for a year, it wears out, and ... you want to RETURN it for a refund?

What I find amazing is that you WORE OUT your sweaters, then got a refund from Nordstrom. I would have said to myself, "I wore this out, I will go buy another one." NOT "I wore this out, maybe I can get another one for free."

Wow.
Hard to say. I've returned stuff that's ostensibly "worn out" because I felt it wore out extremely prematurely given its price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products