Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 01:56 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I buy something at a retailer. It has a problem say after 6 months. I call the retailer. Can I return this item? They say yes. I return the item AND also buy item #2. Seems pretty simple.

When retailer says no you can’t return it then…… I don’t return it.

Seems pretty simple to me.
It's not a matter of "simple". It's what is considered as usual. I don't think most people would not attempt to return an item of clothing after a year - unless it was say, LL Bean. I think you understood what I was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 02:23 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's not a matter of "simple". It's what is considered as usual. I don't think most people would not attempt to return an item of clothing after a year - unless it was say, LL Bean. I think you understood what I was saying.
In terms of customer service and generous return policies though, Norstroms and LL Bean are pretty analagous, historically anyway.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:26 PM

83 posts, read 73,918 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post. Nordstrom *used to* accept returns on items that were more than a year old, with things like holes in the sleeves. They *have stopped* accepting these type of items. They accepted before but they don't accept them now. That's why the thread is called "Nordstrom CHANGES their return policy".
Quote:
I haven't done many returns to Nordstrom, but the last time was about 1 year ago. I returned 2 or 3 cashmere sweaters that had holes in the elbow, not wearable. I called my local Nordstrom in Durham, NC recently asking about returns. They will no longer return items with any damage. But they encouraged me to come in and see what they had in stock.

I'm curious if anyone else shops at Nordstrom and if you have run into this new policy? I have searched online for cashmere sweaters but either they are out of stock or the quality is not good.
I doubt seriously that you'll get many (if any) responses to your specific question because most people wouldn't even think to attempt to return an item that's over a year old, so they wouldn't even know that the policy had been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
How old are the sweaters? Did you have a receipt or other proof of purchase? While it’s possible a sweater develops holes due to a defect, the fact that you said 2 or 3 sweaters all developed holes in the elbows sounds like they just wore out. A store is under no obligation to return merchandise that has reached the end of its use. Nothing lasts forever.
I'm curious about this as well. Would the OP care to share with us exactly how old these cashmere sweaters are? How far past the one-year cutoff was the purchase?

Old 02-17-2022, 03:32 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,198 times
Bloomingdale's also changed their return window to 90 days.
What people aren't understanding is that dept. stores crave loyalty and higher-end stores like Bloomies, Saks, Nordstrom were flexible with returns. But people began massively abusing the policy and many stores now require a license to return, or simply have a very short return window.
That being said, if the OP is a loyal Nordstrom customer, they should aim to please and make it right.
A one year lifespan for a sweater that is likely higher-end is unacceptable and Nordstrom should be made aware of that in terms of what vendors/designers they want to carry going forward.
I purchased a premium brand coat at Bloomie's and experienced issues with it about a year later (really less since the coat isn't used but 3 months out of the year). Bloomie's refunded it without issue. I continue to shop there and have for years for that very reason.

Contact Nordstrom corporate as the local store often can't go outside the published policy.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:40 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post. Nordstrom *used to* accept returns on items that were more than a year old, with things like holes in the sleeves. They *have stopped* accepting these type of items. They accepted before but they don't accept them now. That's why the thread is called "Nordstrom CHANGES their return policy".
Wow, that's very unusual for a store to accept returns on items worn for a year. Maybe back then they had a quality guarantee, that allowed that? It sounds like a best-kept secret.

Quality cashmere (there's a lot of cheap cashmere these days) should't develop holes after just one year. I really wonder about some of the cashmere offered by Nieman Marcus, for example, that starts out with a higher price, but gets reduced to a fraction of its cost on clearance.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
For clothes over a year old (or really after I’ve worn them a few times), I would never return them. I just don’t feel right returning things after that.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:00 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole D. Cocker View Post
I doubt seriously that you'll get many (if any) responses to your specific question because most people wouldn't even think to attempt to return an item that's over a year old, so they wouldn't even know that the policy had been changed.
Agreed. And I found this information online:

How Many Return Days Does Nordstrom Offer?
Unlimited. While Nordstrom reserves the right to handle returns on a “case by case basis” they do not have a set number of return days in place.

I’ve actually heard of some shoppers return items that are well over a year old and have clearly been worn.

But be warned, if you abuse Nordstrom’s return policy to often you’ll probably end up getting banned.

And from another site....

Keep in mind when you return at Nordstrom they keep track of your returns so if you abuse the policy you could get banned from returning at Nordstrom.

Some folks might do it, but it sure is not usual and customary.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:58 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I agree that I wouldn't even think about returning something that was a year old (and apparently I was abusing the item(s) - I did return a coat that after the first time I tried to put it on the zipper broke - I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Back ten years ago,I recall Norstrom said you cant return shoes once they are worn or with new shoes,you pay return shipping.
There are cashmere and there are cashmere,true cashmere made in UK are expensive,then there are so called cashmere which is not 100% cashmere or they are some kind of synthetic wool,you can tell by how much you paid for them.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:04 AM

1,057 posts, read 546,781 times
OP must be leaning on the elbows A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products