Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 08:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,343,493 times

Advertisements

I do not like apps! I HATE apps! However, I have been asked to download and use an app called Venmo. I downloaded it. I do not understand it. I see it is tied to PayPal. I HATE PayPal.

Could someone explain how consumers use this app? Please do not assume I know anything at all about this stuff. Personally, I do not like it. I prefer good old paper cheques, cash, and ATM cards. I do NOT trust these things.

This is just one more things that make me realise I have outlived my time here. I am from another era. NONE of this feels right to me, NONE OF IT AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:26 AM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I do not like apps! I HATE apps! However, I have been asked to download and use an app called Venmo. I downloaded it. I do not understand it. I see it is tied to PayPal. I HATE PayPal.

Could someone explain how consumers use this app? Please do not assume I know anything at all about this stuff. Personally, I do not like it. I prefer good old paper cheques, cash, and ATM cards. I do NOT trust these things.

This is just one more things that make me realise I have outlived my time here. I am from another era. NONE of this feels right to me, NONE OF IT AT ALL.
I don’t like them either. And I was just watching a news story about how Zelle, which is one of the bigger ones, used by most banks, recently got hacked.

I can’t help you with how to use it, I don’t know either.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-07-2022 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-07-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t like them either. And I was just watching a news story about how Zelle, which is one of the bigger ones, used by most banks, recently got hacked.

I can help you with how to use it, I don’t know either.
I had a bad experience with Zelle, but Zelle claimed it was my bank's fault not theirs, and my bank denied liability. Basically, my issued involved what they did with a scheduled payment.

Each year at the time I renew my lease, I set up the entire year's worth of rent payments month by month so I can be sure the payments will go out in time on a weekday. Anyway, last Spring, the bank(?) computer system tried three times within a very short period of time around 1 a.m. to send the scheduled payment, but the payment would not go through as my direct deposit did not hit my account until 4 a.m.

The upshot was the payment did not go out at all because the computer stopped trying to send a scheduled payment after the third attempt, and I did not know it did no go through. The bank's email message went to my spam folder, which I never check, and my landlord did not notify me until the 12th that he had not received the payment. I was confused. I knew there was more than enough money in my account for that payment to go through.

I investigated immediately. The direct deposit was there in my account by 4 a.m. that day, but the bank tried all three attempts to send the payment around 1 a.m. I incurred a $140 late fee because of it.

I argued that they should have spaced out those three attempts over the course of the day. After all, if the payment will not go through at 1:03 a.m., how stupid is it to try again at 1:04 a.m. and then at 1:24 a.m.? If only they had tried a little later in the morning or in the afternoon or in the evening, the payment would have gone through. The money was in the account by 4 a.m. I have no control over the time of day a direct deposit hits an account or what time the bank's computer tries to put through a scheduled payment. To make all three attempts within a few minutes of one another makes no sense.

Anyway, Zelle did not even want to speak to me about it. They blamed the bank. The bank for its part said they had done nothing wrong and refused to reimburse me for the $140 late fee. I was very angry, but what could I do? Now, I refuse to set up any payments for the 1st of the month anymore. I do not know if Zelle has a mobile app, but even if they do, I would not use it. I realise it is not the computer's fault. It is the fault of whoever programmed the computer to make all three attempts within a few minutes of one another. I feel the bank was to blame, but I could do nothing about it.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:15 AM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
I had a bad experience with Zelle, but Zelle claimed it was my bank's fault not theirs, and my bank denied liability. Basically, my issued involved what they did with a scheduled payment.

Each year at the time I renew my lease, I set up the entire year's worth of rent payments month by month so I can be sure the payments will go out in time on a weekday. Anyway, last Spring, the bank(?) computer system tried three times within a very short period of time around 1 a.m. to send the scheduled payment, but the payment would not go through as my direct deposit did not hit my account until 4 a.m.

The upshot was the payment did not go out at all because the computer stopped trying to send a scheduled payment after the third attempt, and I did not know it did no go through. The bank's email message went to my spam folder, which I never check, and my landlord did not notify me until the 12th that he had not received the payment. I was confused. I knew there was more than enough money in my account for that payment to go through.

I investigated immediately. The direct deposit was there in my account by 4 a.m. that day, but the bank tried all three attempts to send the payment around 1 a.m. I incurred a $140 late fee because of it.

I argued that they should have spaced out those three attempts over the course of the day. After all, if the payment will not go through at 1:03 a.m., how stupid is it to try again at 1:04 a.m. and then at 1:24 a.m.? If only they had tried a little later in the morning or in the afternoon or in the evening, the payment would have gone through. The money was in the account by 4 a.m. I have no control over the time of day a direct deposit hits an account or what time the bank's computer tries to put through a scheduled payment. To make all three attempts within a few minutes of one another makes no sense.

Anyway, Zelle did not even want to speak to me about it. They blamed the bank. The bank for its part said they had done nothing wrong and refused to reimburse me for the $140 late fee. I was very angry, but what could I do? Now, I refuse to set up any payments for the 1st of the month anymore. I do not know if Zelle has a mobile app, but even if they do, I would not use it. I realise it is not the computer's fault. It is the fault of whoever programmed the computer to make all three attempts within a few minutes of one another. I feel the bank was to blame, but I could do nothing about it.
Can’t you just set it up via the banks each check bill pay feature, versus Zelle? I pay all my bills through the online bill pay feature, set up for certain date each month.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,519,183 times
--------
These multiple attempts are carried out by bots(software),if it is a technical glitch,then it will try again within a short period,they cannot read your mind,they cannot tailor the software to meet everyone;s whims and wishes.
You are supposed t o keep an eye on your bank account.
I know others who use Paypal and Ebay and choose to pay with bank withdrawal,it will try 3 times-today,tomorrow and the day after tomorrow,if NSF,then it quits.This is how they set up the system.
if you think you have a legit gripe and you are not the only one who does not like the way the bot works,you can suggest changes to the bank

Old 10-07-2022, 07:25 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,519,183 times
Quote:

My handyman uses Venmo,I believe VENMO is owned by Paypal,thats why you see the affiliation.
I do not use Venmo,so I always give him a paper check.
I dont think Venmo transaction is reversible,someone who knows may come along and tell us if it is true.
You sign up with Venmo and give Venmo your bank account number so it can retrieve money from your bank account when you make payment via Venmo.
It is real time,but I think VENMO fronts the money out of its own fund and then take the money from your bank account .
There is a case of a woman who spotted a good deal from an Indian and used Venmo to pay him $3k,then she soon realised it is a scam,so she immediately made a stop payment with her bank.
But Venmo has already advanced that $3k,so when it tried to debit her bank account,it failed so it is taking her to court.!
The Indian got his money,she did not lose a dime and Venmo is out $3k

Old 10-07-2022, 10:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 6,531,686 times
I refuse to switch over to the new generations way of doing things online, with apps, etc. My SIL wanted to send me payments via Zelle.....nope, not interested. Just send me a check or pay me when I see you. To not be so "closed minded", I DID research Zelle and did not like what I read about it, from the site itself. Specifically, if MY money got lost someway, somehow, there was NO insurance to recover if from my bank. I verified this with the staff at my bank, who confirmed this. This SIL is also into Bitcoin, and is "pressuring" me to get involved with it as well. How do you spell IGNORE? That's not happening, either.

All of us retired folks, read: "golden oldies", do not need to be using the newer generations new technology to perform simple things that we have always done in the past without issues. I request a paper menu in sit-down restaurants, I do NOT use my phone to scan the code. I do NOT give out my phone number or email address when asked when paying at the register for an item. So many think it is required they just go along with it. Just. Say. No. Remember that saying?

Old 10-07-2022, 12:13 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,043,720 times
Quote:
The bank's email message went to my spam folder, which I never check, and my landlord did not notify me until the 12th that he had not received the payment.
I can't tell you how many times I've found emails with important documents or other information in my spam/junk folder. I make a point to check it at least once a day; usually right after I go through my inbox. In fact, just this morning I found in my spam folder an email containing a remodeling proposal I had been expecting.

Old 10-07-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Can’t you just set it up via the banks each check bill pay feature, versus Zelle? I pay all my bills through the online bill pay feature, set up for certain date each month.
No, the payment is requested via Zelle, so I go in and set up 12 months payments at a time. The date depends on what day the first of each month might be.

Old 10-07-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I refuse to switch over to the new generations way of doing things online, with apps, etc. My SIL wanted to send me payments via Zelle.....nope, not interested. Just send me a check or pay me when I see you. To not be so "closed minded", I DID research Zelle and did not like what I read about it, from the site itself. Specifically, if MY money got lost someway, somehow, there was NO insurance to recover if from my bank. I verified this with the staff at my bank, who confirmed this. This SIL is also into Bitcoin, and is "pressuring" me to get involved with it as well. How do you spell IGNORE? That's not happening, either.

All of us retired folks, read: "golden oldies", do not need to be using the newer generations new technology to perform simple things that we have always done in the past without issues. I request a paper menu in sit-down restaurants, I do NOT use my phone to scan the code. I do NOT give out my phone number or email address when asked when paying at the register for an item. So many think it is required they just go along with it. Just. Say. No. Remember that saying?

I feel exactly the way you do. I signed up for the Venmo thing today because someone wants to send me money that way, and it is the only way they can send it (long story, not important for our purposes here), so I agreed, but I do NOT like it, and as soon as this matter is over, I will close the account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products