Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 12:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Woodmans in Wisconsin
Market Basket in part of New England

Wegman's came to Mass. I've been to two of them a few times. I know they appeal to someone, but I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 05:27 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Woodmans in Wisconsin
Market Basket in part of New England

Wegman's came to Mass. I've been to two of them a few times. I know they appeal to someone, but I don't get it.
Market Basket! I spent my junior high and high school years living very close to a Market Basket in Southern California. My dad used to call it Barket Masket for fun. We loved that store. Wistful... it's been gone for decades now. PS My dad was born and raised in Western Mass.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
When I was a kid in Minnesota, we went to Red Owl.

There used to be hundreds of them across the Midwest. Now, there's just one small one left - in Green Bay (which is not the one pictured below).

Old 12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wegmans!!! Thank goodness they finally came to NC! And when I move next year, I'll be deeper into Wegmans territory!

Where I live now, we've got a great convenient assortment of Wegmans, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lowes Food (listed in the order of my preference). We've also got Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but they aren't regional. I have to say, I like Publix, but I don't understand the hype.
You may not understand the hype due to you having so many premium supermarkets to choose from. For many areas in the south, Publix is the only premium market or has higher numbers of locations in the area than some of the other premium markets.

Publix has a great deli, their subs are fantastic. Fried chicken is terrific. Meats are of higher quality than other supermarkets. Customer service is outstanding. Stores are clean and neatly organized. They have weekly BOGO's that I really take advantage of. It's employee owned.

It's not a Wegmans, but it's close to it if you don't have one.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:44 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Just south of Cleveland, OH there is a premium family chain of supermarket called Buehlers Fresh Market. Great stores and well run.

Buehler? Buehler?

https://www.buehlers.com/

Old 12-06-2022, 09:52 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
When I was little, we went to Boy's Market, in Southern California.

Here in NC, rural, we have Food Lion and Lowe's foods, that's it. My daughter in Northern California goes to Safeway, when I lived where she is now, we would go to Lucky's, Raley's..Safeway came later.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

Here in NC, rural, we have Food Lion and Lowe's foods, that's it. My daughter in Northern California goes to Safeway, when I lived where she is now, we would go to Lucky's, Raley's..Safeway came later.
Interesting about your local rural North Carolina offering only Food Lion and Lowe's. I think this is common throughout most of the country (rural food deserts) but you brought up Northern California, and that's a notable exception. Where my in laws live in Nevada City, there's a nearby co-op in Grass Valley called Briar Patch. My in-laws are members, and the supermarket posts 80 something small farms within about a 150 mile radius of where the market sources their produce. It became so popular that a second market just opened in Auburn, which I am sure you are also familiar with. My point being that rural northern California is an exception to that local rural food desert rule. I remember when I used to live in St. Louis, and I was once tubbing in a river in the rural Ozarks about 3 hours south. I went into a supermarket in a rural town named Ellington, I think the supermarket was Town & Country, it was many years ago. Anyway, I peered into the meat section and the ground beef was gray colored. The produce looked inedible, in spite of Missouri being a state where in areas a lot of produce is grown. It was a different universe from what was offered in suburban St. Louis.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:10 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

Here in NC, rural, we have Food Lion and Lowe's foods, that's it. My daughter in Northern California goes to Safeway, when I lived where she is now, we would go to Lucky's, Raley's.. Safeway came later.
Wow, I wouldn't have remembered the Boy's Market stores unless I looked it up! Now I do remember it after seeing a photo. There wasn't one near our house though.

Photo of the market here:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558376053770606231/

Old 12-11-2022, 12:53 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Growing up in the Pacific NW, nothing could beat Fred Meyer's "one-stop shopping" - you could get groceries, records, plants, underwear and tires - all in one visit!

Old 12-12-2022, 08:55 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Growing up in the Pacific NW, nothing could beat Fred Meyer's "one-stop shopping" - you could get groceries, records, plants, underwear and tires - all in one visit!
That sounds like Walmart.

Last edited by Gerania; 12-12-2022 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products