Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 09:33 AM

33,340 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Interesting about your local rural North Carolina offering only Food Lion and Lowe's. I think this is common throughout most of the country (rural food deserts) but you brought up Northern California, and that's a notable exception. Where my in laws live in Nevada City, there's a nearby co-op in Grass Valley called Briar Patch. My in-laws are members, and the supermarket posts 80 something small farms within about a 150 mile radius of where the market sources their produce. It became so popular that a second market just opened in Auburn, which I am sure you are also familiar with. My point being that rural northern California is an exception to that local rural food desert rule. I remember when I used to live in St. Louis, and I was once tubbing in a river in the rural Ozarks about 3 hours south. I went into a supermarket in a rural town named Ellington, I think the supermarket was Town & Country, it was many years ago. Anyway, I peered into the meat section and the ground beef was gray colored. The produce looked inedible, in spite of Missouri being a state where in areas a lot of produce is grown. It was a different universe from what was offered in suburban St. Louis.

In some parts of rural North Carolina that I've driven through, there isn't even a Lowe's....only a Food Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I used to like Food Lion in the southeast.. I know they moved north to some extent, but..
Always liked Ralph's in LA (I think they're basically regional).
They are, but they're owned by Kroger.

Quote:
But my favorite name/logo for a regional grocery is still Piggly Wiggly (upper South- VA NC TN, etc).
Same here.

I grew up in California, so I didn't see any as a kid.

However, my mother traveled all over the country for pleasure with my grandparents i the early/mid 1950s and that was her favorite name as well.

IIRC, by the time I was a kid (I'm a second half of the boom baby boomer) Piggly Wiggly was already owned by Safeway.

I think I've only seen one of them, and I've only been in one (in a small town in South Carolina in 2020....and it was dirty).

Old 12-25-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I also like Raleys, but I still go to Grocery Outlet, which I like for the pricing. No Sprouts here, but I did love them when I lived near one. Trader Joes is always a winner.
I was thrilled when Trader Joe's came to Texas (I'm from California and started going to Trader Joe's in the 80s).

I waited in line to get in on the first day the first one was open.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
HEB and Central Market are owned by the same company,you should see the difference .
H Mart is a Korean supermarket,they have 3 locations in Houston,also in other states and Canada,they have swimming cat fish,tilapia,lobster,dungenses crabs,King crabs in tanks,they have seafood flown in from Fulton Market every day and their fresh produce dept would definitely knock your socks off
Wow, I'm amazed that I've missed that.

I drive along that part of Westview probably a couple of times a week, and it looks like one of them is on the corner of Blalock and Westview.

I'll have to stop in the next time I drive by.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
In So CA it has to be Stater Bros.

I thought Stater Brothers went out of business , but I guess they just pulled out of Orange County.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:07 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I thought Stater Brothers went out of business , but I guess they just pulled out of Orange County.
I can't speak for the rest of OC, but I used to work across the street from the one at Warner & Euclid in Fountain Valley, and it appears that one is still open... (and for some reason, I used to call it Statler Brothers).

Old 12-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I can't speak for the rest of OC, but I used to work across the street from the one at Warner & Euclid in Fountain Valley, and it appears that one is still open... (and for some reason, I used to call it Statler Brothers).
My bad.

I did a search on their site before I posted that. I kept zooming out and the ones I saw were clustered in in Riverside and maybe Los Angeles counties.

I guess I didn't zoom out far enough .

I used to shop at one occasionally. IIRC, it was on Newport Blvd. in Costa Mesa.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
They are, but they're owned by Kroger.

Same here.

I grew up in California, so I didn't see any as a kid.

However, my mother traveled all over the country for pleasure with my grandparents i the early/mid 1950s and that was her favorite name as well.

IIRC, by the time I was a kid (I'm a second half of the boom baby boomer) Piggly Wiggly was already owned by Safeway.

I think I've only seen one of them, and I've only been in one (in a small town in South Carolina in 2020....and it was dirty).

I take that back.

I also saw one in Canton, MS in 2020.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:46 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Nope still going strong. #3 son has wored there for 40+ years.

https://www.staterbros.com/stores/

Old 12-29-2022, 12:26 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
The nostalgist in me still loves the IGA stores in the small Midwest towns like my grandparents lived in. There's something irreplaceable about them and quite frankly missing with the big guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdB-DQ432g0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products