Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 01:06 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Sure, in a hotel room, you'd throw towels in a hamper, wet or not. They have a hamper down by the pool for you to throw wet towels in, right?

If I were cleaning your room, I might assume that a towel hung over the shower rod meant you wanted to use it again. But a towel in a heap in the corner or under the sink leaves no question--this is dirty, you're done using it, I'll take it and replace it.

To each his own, but I think your original comparison just wasn't good. I'm hardly a lazy slob, but, no, I don't see the need to neatly fold something that's going to get tossed in a laundry bag.
I have no idea about the pool. I've never stayed in a place where towels were provided in a pool area and haven't used a hotel pool in... decades. I didn't know provided towels in a pool area were a thing actually! I always had to bring my own in.

I have no issue with reusing a towel for a couple of days, and usually request no room cleaning if I am there for a few days. If I want new towels I'll ask for them. But I am rarely in a place more than a night or two.

I'm just hardwired to keep things neat, that's all, and not making things harder for the person who's cleaning up after me. Making them bend down to pick up stuff I threw on the floor just seems rude to me. Their job is difficult enough.

You may not be a lazy slob but I've sure wondered about some of my work partners that I've shared rooms with and have tripped over their towels left lying on the floor. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 04:59 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
These days I dread having to call healthcare organizations and insurance companies. Those are the worst offenders. I've pared down my utilities and subscriptions to the bare minimum so I don't have to worry about places like Comcast or AT&T. Retail stores in my local area have been satisfactory, although I acknowledge that will vary by area. For the most part I try to be as self sufficient as possible and not rely on customer service all the time. People near me complain about restuarant service post-COVID but I can't complain because I have never been big on being serviced that way.

My strongest concern for the future is the inevitable dearth of tradespeople as the generations after the baby boomers have been steered into college careers rather than the trades.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:05 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
The last three times I've dealt with medical workers, they screwed something up.

Messed up information on a form ... never sent test results ... had me at the wrong location for an ultrasound.

I'm surrounded by idiots. And these were all Americans, btw.

This is also due to the corporatizatiion of healthcare and the push for productivity. The only important thing is that next quarter's numbers are higher than last quarters. They cut staff, they book 4 people for the same appointment time so they don't lose money if someone doesn't show, they automate call systems. At one of my doctor's offices (part of a huge hospital system) you can't even get a receptionist or anyone if you call. If you want to make an appointment you have to leave your number and they call you back. But I don't get cell reception in our work area, so I can't answer when they call back. So endless game of phone tag just to make an appointment. They have a portal you're supposed to leave a message and they answer, except they never answer. My pharmacy calls to tell me I'm out of refills for one of my meds, and they haven't heard back from the office since they called a week ago.

So burnout is prevalent, mistakes are made, people have no choice but to rush and make mistakes. I'm an OT and our (PT and OT) productivity requirement is 90%. So if I am on the clock for 8 hours, all but 48 minutes must be directly billable to Medicare or insurance. In that 48 minutes, I might have a 15 minute meeting. The nurse from the dementia unit might call down because a resident has a doctor's appointment and she doesn't have a wheelchair. So I have to find one that has working brakes and footrests (can be quite the scavenger hunt). So that's another 15 minutes. That leaves me 18 minutes, in which to write daily notes for the 12 patients I have that day, weekly notes for 3 of them, evaluation for one of them, and to go get every patient, put them in the wheelchair and bring them down to the gym. We all punch out to do paperwork on a daily basis, because it's not possible to finish it and still be 90% productive. There are nights I work from 8:30 to 6:30 but only get paid until 5:15. Then I have a 50 minute commute home.

So burnout and anxiety = worse patient care = experienced people leaving health care = even more shorthanded and even more mistakes.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:08 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Sure, in a hotel room, you'd throw towels in a hamper, wet or not. They have a hamper down by the pool for you to throw wet towels in, right?

If I were cleaning your room, I might assume that a towel hung over the shower rod meant you wanted to use it again. But a towel in a heap in the corner or under the sink leaves no question--this is dirty, you're done using it, I'll take it and replace it.

To each his own, but I think your original comparison just wasn't good. I'm hardly a lazy slob, but, no, I don't see the need to neatly fold something that's going to get tossed in a laundry bag.

I always put the sign out saying I don't want housekeeping services. I don't like not knowing when they're coming then they're knocking at the door at 8:30 am. I don't need the sheets changed if I'm staying for a couple of nights. I just ask for extra towels.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Sounds like a lovely woman ... no offense.

Did she also litter?
She had no empathy for anyone. Ever. Not even for us kids.

I don't think she littered, but she didn't care about anything. I'd get upset with the abortion issue and she'd say, "Why do you care? You're never going to need one." She said the same thing about Vietnam when I would talk about it back in the 70s. "Why do you care?"

I think that's why she lived so long. She never worked from the day she got married ("I just don't understand why people have so much stress these days") and she didn't care about anything and her blood pressure was never elevated.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:26 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have no idea about the pool. I've never stayed in a place where towels were provided in a pool area and haven't used a hotel pool in... decades. I didn't know provided towels in a pool area were a thing actually! I always had to bring my own in.

I have no issue with reusing a towel for a couple of days, and usually request no room cleaning if I am there for a few days. If I want new towels I'll ask for them. But I am rarely in a place more than a night or two.

I'm just hardwired to keep things neat, that's all, and not making things harder for the person who's cleaning up after me. Making them bend down to pick up stuff I threw on the floor just seems rude to me. Their job is difficult enough.

You may not be a lazy slob but I've sure wondered about some of my work partners that I've shared rooms with and have tripped over their towels left lying on the floor. That's all.
I think that goes along with trying to be pleasant to service people as well. I can't believe some of the things people have to put up with in public service jobs. Wait a minute - that's all I did for work. Yes, I can believe anything because I've seen it happen firsthand.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:28 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Where I live in Charlotte NC customer service is above average. Not been treated poorly since we moved here 3 years ago.

Today I needed some wood so went to Home Depot and interacted with at least 5 employees and every one of them was helpful and pleasant. To top it off we went to our car to load the wood, knew in advance that getting the 48" width in would take some work and were struggling (husband thinking of going back in and having it cut down and I said nooooo) so up comes a young male employee, he said "I can get that in for you" and OMG he just did it. I said "You have done this before haven't you" and he said yes. He did not have to help us, he just did.
Is southern hospitality still a thing?

Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 PM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is also due to the corporatizatiion of healthcare and the push for productivity. The only important thing is that next quarter's numbers are higher than last quarters. They cut staff, they book 4 people for the same appointment time so they don't lose money if someone doesn't show, they automate call systems. At one of my doctor's offices (part of a huge hospital system) you can't even get a receptionist or anyone if you call. If you want to make an appointment you have to leave your number and they call you back. But I don't get cell reception in our work area, so I can't answer when they call back. So endless game of phone tag just to make an appointment. They have a portal you're supposed to leave a message and they answer, except they never answer. My pharmacy calls to tell me I'm out of refills for one of my meds, and they haven't heard back from the office since they called a week ago.

So burnout is prevalent, mistakes are made, people have no choice but to rush and make mistakes. I'm an OT and our (PT and OT) productivity requirement is 90%. So if I am on the clock for 8 hours, all but 48 minutes must be directly billable to Medicare or insurance. In that 48 minutes, I might have a 15 minute meeting. The nurse from the dementia unit might call down because a resident has a doctor's appointment and she doesn't have a wheelchair. So I have to find one that has working brakes and footrests (can be quite the scavenger hunt). So that's another 15 minutes. That leaves me 18 minutes, in which to write daily notes for the 12 patients I have that day, weekly notes for 3 of them, evaluation for one of them, and to go get every patient, put them in the wheelchair and bring them down to the gym. We all punch out to do paperwork on a daily basis, because it's not possible to finish it and still be 90% productive. There are nights I work from 8:30 to 6:30 but only get paid until 5:15. Then I have a 50 minute commute home.

So burnout and anxiety = worse patient care = experienced people leaving health care = even more shorthanded and even more mistakes.
Ugh ... sounds awful, but I do understand.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:59 PM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
She had no empathy for anyone. Ever. Not even for us kids.

I don't think she littered, but she didn't care about anything. I'd get upset with the abortion issue and she'd say, "Why do you care? You're never going to need one." She said the same thing about Vietnam when I would talk about it back in the 70s. "Why do you care?"
That would drive me nuts.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:16 PM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Don't call on Mondays or Fridays or at typical lunch hour time.

If none of the choices you are offered [1-2-3-4-etc.] hit zero 0. That brings you to a live person.

Goes without saying, have all your info and paperwork ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products