Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

No manners and poor customer service in retail industry, TJ Maxx, Seekonk, Massachusetts, staff bad attitude, discount stores, female sales associates, attentiveness or rude behavior

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

105 posts, read 302,520 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is it me or what?!?! Today I went shopping at T.J. Maxx in Seekonk, MA. There are plenty of employees walking around totally ignoring me, like usual, so that is not the part that annoyed me. What annoys me is when I go to the dressing room! No matter what, the dressing room attendant always looks at me like I have 5 heads and the last thing on earth they would want to do is help me. They have this "rule" that you have to count out one by one the items to try on, and place them on a rack while doing so. Then I have to take them all off the rack myself and they say nothing while I continue on my way to a room. They don't tell me to go to one, they don't bring me to one....they just stand there....lifeless....what is the deal? I'm not some prissy primadonna who expects royal service, but for crying out loud!!!! A smile, a hello perhaps...it wouldn't kill ya! Learn some damn manners!!! And if you don't like working with the public...DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then proceeded to check out Payless Shoes and Target in the same plaza, and of course found the same crappy attitude in those stores too. I never thought of Seekonk as stuck up...I don't know, I just shop there sometimes...but what is the deal???? Any thoughts? Or similar experiences? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Well, my experience wasn't as bad as yours...but, "it's up there" with yours.....LOL.
The only explanation I came up with is, that they have a quick employee turnover, and pretty much will take anybody...hahaha....and that they are usually not paying all that great.
Most employees have no idea on where items (you are looking for) located at...hence, lack of proper employee training.
But, ultimately, it's all about the store manager, and what shift he/ she runs, and what he/ she expects from his employees.
In all fairness and defense have I been in TJ's and Targets, where sales staff were "front and center", courteous, friendly, and a well trained.
I still believe, that the store staff is only as good (or bad)as it's leading manager is, and visa versa.
I do have to agree though, that friendlyness is really NOT their top priority, IMHO.

But, it can always be improved.....

Old 06-20-2008, 06:06 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Hello..If you want customer service, stop shopping at discount stores. It's like going to McDonald's and complaining that the waiters ignored you.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Lightbulb Speak English

I totally empathize with your shopping experience.
A few years ago, I went to TJ Maxx. I could not find the "work out" clothing section. So I asked a "Sales Associate" female, Excuse me, where are the work out clothes? She gave me the blank stare and replied in Spanish & walked away. So to the next girl I asked, Where are the work out clothes. ANOTHER blank stare, and a mumble, no speak Engleesh. LOL

How the hell do you hire a Sales Associate in Central NJ that does not speak the English language? Management must be pretty desperate. I wrote a letter to TJ Maxx corporate HQ and YES, I did get a reply AND a gift card with an apology.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
My answer would be to go to the store manager or corporate. I don't think the problem is just in Massachusetts though.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
My answer would be to go to the store manager or corporate. I don't think the problem is just in Massachusetts though.
I totally agree on this one, because there are bad apples in the bunch all over the place.
I usually don't really bother asking where anything is located anymore....LOL...and just allow myself enough time for my shopping "exploration"....LOL
There are places you walk into, where no one seems to have a clue about anything, and are unwilling to help................But, then there are other places, where you are getting "mobbed" with sales help running over to you, and being really persistent to the point, where you just want to leave the store.
It's aggravating and frustrating when one can't even search and shop, without having sales staff breathing down the neck....LOL.
It's just hard to find the "proper balance" in sales staff at times....huh.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
Well I love it when those associates leave me alone. I am not a needy shopper and could care less as long as they ring me up correctly and answer simple questions like "is this rack on sale, etc". i hate being "assaulted" by customer service people. Classic: You are picking out your stuff and they usurp your clothing and place them into a fitting room-they have conveniently added a peice for you to "match" with your outfit. Then when you leave out the fitting room they have this ingenious look on their face like they totally helped you out. Whatever!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
While I don't want to be continually approached, it sure is nice if a salesperson would come into the dressing room and ask if we need something. (they do that at Ann Taylor Loft!) How many times do you have to re-dress, just to find a different size? Very annoying! I LIKE having someone to go and fetch a different size for me--especially in the winter, when you have so MANY clothes to take off and on!
But, I don't want them "suggesting" items--I usually know what I'm looking for, and what I like. Just a bit of attentiveness would be nice!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
Personally if someone asked me to go "fetch" them something, I would be rude myself. JMO.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:47 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.L. View Post
Hello,

Is it me or what?!?! Today I went shopping at T.J. Maxx in Seekonk, MA. There are plenty of employees walking around totally ignoring me, like usual, so that is not the part that annoyed me. What annoys me is when I go to the dressing room! No matter what, the dressing room attendant always looks at me like I have 5 heads and the last thing on earth they would want to do is help me. They have this "rule" that you have to count out one by one the items to try on, and place them on a rack while doing so. Then I have to take them all off the rack myself and they say nothing while I continue on my way to a room. They don't tell me to go to one, they don't bring me to one....they just stand there....lifeless....what is the deal? I'm not some prissy primadonna who expects royal service, but for crying out loud!!!! A smile, a hello perhaps...it wouldn't kill ya! Learn some damn manners!!! And if you don't like working with the public...DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then proceeded to check out Payless Shoes and Target in the same plaza, and of course found the same crappy attitude in those stores too. I never thought of Seekonk as stuck up...I don't know, I just shop there sometimes...but what is the deal???? Any thoughts? Or similar experiences? Thanks!
Can I ask what the average age of these ignorant CSReps were? I betcha they were ALL UNDER 25, weren't they? I'm sorry but the generations are getting dumber or just dont give a sh*t? do they?
In the grocery store one day, couldn't find this weeks' Sales item paper...so I asked a cashier "excuse me, do you have a Salespaper up here? Where are they?"...she looked at me like I was speaking Swahili or something...DUH....I had to repeat and explain WHAT A SALES paper was! OMG, who hires these genius' kids? also they dont use decent english when speaking to customers, usually hunches their shoulders, or just toss a green & Purple spiked hair in the general direction of the aisle you asked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products