Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times

Advertisements

Lots of factors affect what I give. Cost of plate, how much do I like the couple, are my kids invited too, are they responsible/irresponsible with money, do they really need the money, have they done anything for me personally lately.

I have given as little as $50 (but that was back when I was poorer) up to $250.00. On the other hand, I have given $50 for a high school graduate, and for my nephew for his birthday.

One thing I will not do is give a lot of money to someone I think is going to waste it away. To those people, I give the minimum socially acceptable. Just because they are getting married doesn't mean I have to give them a wad of cash to blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
One thing that I do (and one thing that I've sold a lot of) is to put a wedding invitation between two sheets of very thin plate glass and work it into a custom made stained glass piece. Something personal that can't simply be wasted and is always (well, almost always) appreciated for many years to come.

Beats a toaster, hands down.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:27 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
Isn't it supposed to be the cost of your plate. So if a couple goes to a wedding and you plates are 60.00 each it would be 120.00. I mean it also does depend if you know this person well or if they are family but the usual is cover the cost of you plate.
You've been to weddings where they charged you to eat?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
"Isn't it supposed to be the cost of your plate"

So if a smart couple is saving their money for a house and the family is bringing food for a lovely backyard wedding, I should only buy something from the DollarStore?

And another couple with more money than brains should get my weekly food budget?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I first check the registry if they have one, and usually buy from there and spend close to $100. I at least know they want/need the present. Additionally, if they are close to us, I add something more special and personal like a quilted wallhanging or pillow cover with a wedding theme and their names/date on it. Hubby's clients get a little more, depending on how big the client is.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
It depends on how close I am to them. If it's someone I'm close to, I get something from the registry that costs approximately $200; if I know they prefer money, I'll give $200-250. If I'm not particularly close to the couple, I choose a registry gift that's approx. $100-125.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Wow, ya'll are alot more generous than I am.
I have to be pretty good friends with you or a relative I like ALOT before I get to $100.00.
Between $30-$50 is what I spend. If I have to travel a long distance I will consider my travel expenses part of the gift. Plane tickets, hotel rooms and rental cars aren't cheap.
Cost of the plate doesn't concern me. The couple decided to spend that much, I didn't.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,584 times
I'm of the opinion that toasters make great wedding presents.

I usually try to buy a pretty nice one, so maybe upwards of $50.

My wife shot down my idea of applying this theory to a baby shower.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Wow, ya'll are alot more generous than I am.
I have to be pretty good friends with you or a relative I like ALOT before I get to $100.00.
Between $30-$50 is what I spend. If I have to travel a long distance I will consider my travel expenses part of the gift. Plane tickets, hotel rooms and rental cars aren't cheap.
Cost of the plate doesn't concern me. The couple decided to spend that much, I didn't.
Sorry, but you're cheap. You actually consider your travel expenses part of the gift? No one is forcing you to go, you know.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
You've been to weddings where they charged you to eat?
Believe it or not, it does happen. In Canada for at least the last 10-12 years, that's been a common practice. Couples want to limit their expenses, so they have their guests pay to attend the reception. At a wedding that I went to what they did was inform the restaurant how many guests were expected. The restaurant reserved the appropriate number of tables. Guests then paid at the door after their names were checked off the invitee list.

I don't think this practice has been adopted in the US. (Thank God!) However, I do know of a reception in NYC where this took place because the parents and the couple were too poor to afford the expenses. At that one, they made it clear on the invitation that they did not expect any wedding presents. But some guests brought presents anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products