Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:26 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've heard of this program and am SO curious how do you sign up for it? or is it only available to people who review a lot or get a lot of "helpful" clicks? I can't bring myself to review something unless I really hated it or absolutely loved it.
I have reviewed many products I have ever bought/tried/tested (almost 200) from consumer electronics, my exercise equipment, medical textbooks, restaurants, fiction and nonfiction books. I just received an email one day, and received the invitation. I get to review things based upon my purchasing history. I was shocked to see an elliptical trainer. I had to make sure that there was no "Catch" since this thing is $1000 and shipping it back would be at least $150 to $200. I already have one, but the new one looks amazing. I have to assemble it which will take 30-45 minutes (maybe more), but it has more features and versatility than my current one.

Quote:
I had a very frustrating time at a Borders that reminded me why I love shopping at Amazon. I was looking for a book for a class and needed it w/in the week. I popped by the closest Borders and checked to see if they had it. nope. asked a bored looking employee how long it would take to get the book in, he said a minimum of 5-7 days. I asked if it was possible to cross reference the system of another store to see if they had it. nope, they couldn't. I asked if they could call up the other store to see if they had it in stock, or at least give me the number so I could call them. nope, he didn't have time to do either (even though he wasn't doing much at the time). finally I just said screw it, went home and got it from Amazon w/ free shipping and it came in on Friday.
I agree sometimes you need something and people never seem to have it. Bookstores are strewn all over the city and by the time you find it, you have spent several hours and gallons of gasoline. Some stores have links to show that an item is in stock before you drive there, and I thought that Borders was one of them. However, I find that sometimes the accounting methods are inaccurate. It happened to me when there was 'one item left'. Accounting for those products, I have learned is not 100%.

If you are buying for a class, I advise caution. I had purchased a camera/memory cards for a wedding. I bought it two weeks before my trip (for security). The camera came in a week (with super saver free shipping). However, the memory card came in the day AFTER my flight to go to the wedding. I had to buy a memory card 30 minutes before the wedding. I complained to them since the "expected delivery date" was the day before my flight. They apologized and sent me a 'store credit' which was nominal but the token act was enough to keep me as a customer since I used them so often.

Historically, when I ordered something on "free super saver shipping (on items > $25), I received the item anywhere from 3 to 5 business days so it was atypical. I have had at least 75 transactions in the past two years (26 since just this May 2008) with them so 1 / 75 was not bad. However, living in the distribution city for one of their items, I was shocked that it took two weeks. I figured that there was a place for process improvement in their organization.

A lot of times, I check to see the origin of a product and pick the closest one. In general, I have gotten items as fast as 2-3 days afterward.

I do want to add that adding additional fees for next day is not advisable however, since they have a lead in or processing time that does not send the item immediately. A friend ordered an item on Monday and received it on Thursday (not worth the $15 premium) since the savings from buying from Amazon was offset by the shipping.

The advantage of buying online is to save some money so NEVER plan getting an item for a trip unless you really have about a 3-4 week lead time. You may be disappointed.

Quote:
I love bookstores, especially used ones, but instances like these remind me of why I dislike brick and mortar stores. I know it's impossible to have every single book ever published in stock, but I wish they could make it a bit easier on the customer (I would have been happy if he had just given me the number of the other Borders, but instead I ended up wasting money dialing information)
You have the internet, so I would think that typing your zip code would show all locations in your area. Usually there is a store finder link for every business that is a chain store. I love bookstores and can sit there for hours when my family shops.

Store Locator - Borders - Books, Music and Movies

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Store Locator

Books-A-Million Online Bookstore : Buy Discount Books Music Movies Magazines : Booksamillion .com

A search engine for books that I use are below:

ISBN.nu: Find the best price for books online

Bublos.com, for Books: Compare Book Prices at Bublos and Buy Books Cheaper

Quote:
the only time I buy locally is if I can't get a good deal on shipping, or if I need the product now and the price difference isn't that much. I got my ipod in store since I wasn't sure I could use my student discount through Amazon and Apple products are rarely heavily discounted
You can get a lot of items as a student:

www.hpshopping.com
Apple Store (U.S.) - Student Discount
Dell Laptops, Desktop Computers, Monitors, Printers & PC Accessories

Or you can go through your student bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Usually there is a store finder link for every business that is a chain store. I love bookstores and can sit there for hours when my family shops.
http://www.indiebound.org/

If'n ya wanna find an indie bookstore.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
oh yeah, I could have checked online, but I wasn't home and I have an old phone w/ no net access

I'm not a heavy Amazon user, so I guess I won't be getting any invites for free stuff! still, it is a very cool idea. that's another reason I love online shopping is for the user reviews (though I don't check reviews for books since a lot of them have undisclosed spoilers!)

Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM

180 posts, read 794,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I almost bought something in the last week from Buy dot com, but googled them right before finalizing my order and saw all these terrible recent comments on their customer service and decided that it was not worth the trouble I might have. Curious if anyone here has used them more than once (recently) and been happy with their service?
I've ordered a few times from buy.com with out a problem until I bought 24 flash drives and only 23 came. It was a pain to get it corrected- no phone # so had to email back and forth:
First email- I told them I received the order but one was missing from the 24, need the missing one sent.
Get an email back telling me their records showed the order delivered. Send another email telling them, yes, got the order but incomplete, one is missing, send the replacement.
Then get an email asking me to check the box, (did it arrive opened?) they show they sent it.
I wrote them back, told them the box taped shut and the packing list showed 24 but I got 23. I would not go throught all this trouble and make this up for a $10 flash drive. Also told them there was an office full of people who witnessed one was short. I told them I would do a chargeback on my ccard and not order again unless they send the missing one to me.
Got an email telling me they were reviewing this.
Finally they sent me an email telling me one was coming.
It came about 3 weeks after the original package, but we got it.
Boss was happy.

Otherwise, they have been great at sending an email confirmation the order is coming, takes about a week, and especially if it is one of their sale items- can't beat the price.

I haven't ordered from them since but that is just because we haven't needed anything (for work or home) but even after all of that, I'd still order again. Give them another try at least.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM

180 posts, read 794,146 times
Oh and to answer the OP's question:

LOVE Amazon! Ordered plenty from books to toys to shelving. I keep a list onhand of things I'd like to buy if I need to find another item to add to get the free shipping. Usually get orders in a week or less going standard option. Great prices.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM

I will let you guys know when I get the Elliptical Trainer to review. It just shipped and should arrive soon. If I didn't receive other stuff, already, I would have thought that it was too good to be true.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM

513 posts, read 897,153 times
I've purchased from Amazon before and got some good deals. My daughter loves to buy things from amazon.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I will let you guys know when I get the Elliptical Trainer to review. It just shipped and should arrive soon. If I didn't receive other stuff, already, I would have thought that it was too good to be true.
I received it and it is amazing. This is the best elliptical that I have ever had a chance to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS696K

Old 05-23-2009, 02:27 PM

30 posts, read 143,825 times
Amazon.com is the best place by far....you can never pass up great prices with free shipping!! http://www.picturehoster.org/storage/461.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I buy from Amazon. I buy mostly DVD's and I like the new or used option where used is so much cheaper than new and I don't care if someone else saw it first..

I always read the reviews on the ones I buy from.. Never had a problem. One DVD/CD set I bought, the DVD was totally blank, I contacted the seller and they sent me another set so I had the extra CD.. sent that to my sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products