Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post

Where are the store's people? Why are they not telling people to behave respectfully or leave?

I suspect B&N employees don't feel much sense of ownership of their store environment (a failing of the company). The story about the "pee lady" repeatedly coming back to the same store, for example--she was recognized, so why was she allowed to enter? Would you let someone like that into your own home?
hahahaha... yes you try telling these people to behave themselves or they will have to leave and see if you don't get punched in the face. Management can't do a damn thing about it and even less the employees. That's the monster that BN corporate headquarters have created. Rude customers don't listen to the employees. The BN where I worked had to have a policeman on the weekends, that's how out of control it could get.

and yes I think it is pathetic to hang out in a store for hours. These are people who just need attention and think that by sitting in BN , Starbucks, and any other kind of place will make them feel important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,504 times
Quote:
There's a lot of talk here about various rude or antisocial behaviors that have been spotted in B&N stores, with the implication that the presence of comfortable chairs was enabling these behaviors... it's not the chairs' fault.

Where are the store's people? Why are they not telling people to behave respectfully or leave?

I suspect B&N employees don't feel much sense of ownership of their store environment (a failing of the company). The story about the "pee lady" repeatedly coming back to the same store, for example--she was recognized, so why was she allowed to enter? Would you let someone like that into your own home?
Ah, but there's that whole "customer is always right" BS ethos to contend with. A retail establishment would never go out of their way to make customers feel unwelcome. If certain customers are not, indeed, welcome then steps will be taken. If it's one person causing a disturbance that person will be talked to and asked to leave, but if it's an entire subset of their customers (and I use that word, "Customer" loosely) then more subtle steps would be taken, like removing the chairs. I guarantee that this was a very big decision for them at the highest levels of the company. They probably even hired this company: Envirosell - home which was started by the guy who wrote this amazing piece of social anthropology: Why We Buy - Book Summary
or somebody like him, and they surely found that this retail space was actually losing them money in customer turn-over and damages.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
There's a lot of talk here about various rude or antisocial behaviors that have been spotted in B&N stores, with the implication that the presence of comfortable chairs was enabling these behaviors... it's not the chairs' fault.

The Pee Lady was in a Public Library.. very hard to throw people out of there, as we couldn't really prove it

Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The technology is already there, file size is not an issue as you noted, and we all have laptops and ipods, etc. But I can't see anyone taking a laptop to the toilet to read the paper or latest Newsweek.
Of course we have to look beyond even digital print - the mind boggles. Maybe a "book" that you implant into your head with some sort of interface.
Maybe not a laptop, but what about a handheld reader? I stopped carrying books with me when I got an iphone and installed an e-reader on it, and I've taken it into the bathroom with me to read news or whatever (not that I'm proud of that, mind you). Technology has already advanced to the point that it's not necessary to use a big, bulky laptop to access printed materials - now it's just a matter of that tech getting cheaper, better, and more widespread.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
there's nothing wrong w/ previewing a book before buying it!
I'm not saying there is - just that the practice increases sales while allowing some people to take advantage by reading entire books.

Quote:
problem w/ "previewing" is that some people take it to the extreme and hunker down w/ a book and practically read it cover to cover. that's not previewing, that's reading and doesn't help an author at all if the customer decides to not buy the book after finishing it in the store (or, gasp, gets half way through it, puts it back on the shelf, and comes back in tomorrow to finish it! it happens!).
That point has been made over and over in this thread - I'm not suggesting that reading entire books is appropriate or that it helps the author. Previewing helps the author overall, although it enables some readers to freeload. But while those freeloaders are "wrong," they don't necessarily represent lost sales. If everyone who was reading "too much" of a book at the bookstore was told to go to the library, would that help the author's sales? Would libraries have to buy more copies of books because of the small percentage of people who read books for free in bookstores? It just seems to me that every time I check out a popular book at the library, I can see it has been checked out and read many times. I have a hard time believing it is somehow better for the author for people to read books at the library than at the bookstore. In either case, that reader most likely wasn't going to buy the book anyway.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I've noticed that some people tend not to like their homes that much. these are the same people hanging out at Starbucks for hours
That's me in the summer for a day or two if the AC goes out!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The technology is already there, file size is not an issue as you noted, and we all have laptops and ipods, etc. But I can't see anyone taking a laptop to the toilet to read the paper or latest Newsweek.
Of course we have to look beyond even digital print - the mind boggles. Maybe a "book" that you implant into your head with some sort of interface.

"It has now become clear that the exponential growth of the Internet is not sustainable, "said Dr Hinton.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I used to work at Barnes and Noble and I'll tell you why: People sit in those for hours, spill drinks and drop food, leave tons of books laying on the floor, sit down and have long conversations on their cellphone, rip pages out of books and magazines, teens and other people gather in them by the group, .
My observation is this. In the "old days", libraries went out and purchased the current books. Now, they are too much into providing free internet access and the books are way out of date.

Now, people go to the Barnes and Noble or the Borders store and read the books like they used to do in libraries. When they are done, they leave the books wherever. If they want a book to buy, they go online for a cheaper price.

I do not see how the large bookstores survive with all the freeloaders.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My observation is this. In the "old days", libraries went out and purchased the current books. Now, they are too much into providing free internet access and the books are way out of date.
actually, the libraries I go to tend to keep up w/ the new releases and get them around the same time book stores get them. problem is that many start a wait list before the release, so it may be hard to get a copy of a popular book

I don't know the inner workings of a library, but I assume it can't be that much different from a book store in that a library orders the necessary copies and receives them several days-2 weeks in advance, processes them, then puts them out for the public on the correct day (someone please correct me if this is false)

Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
It has been a while since I worked in one.

If I remember, we probably got the bestsellers around the day they came out, processed them, and got them out ASAP, probably within a week (This was in late 90's)

Also, libraries lease books, believe it or not. There is a company that leases popular books to libraries, to keep costs down. I know of one called McNaughton that does this a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products