Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sounds like you paid about $5 to sit there.
More like $3.50. I have the Membership Card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
First, I'm not a guy, and only store couches disgust me, not friend's couches.

I've seen first hand when I worked at BN the kind of disgust people put on those couches so no thank you. You are more than welcome to sit in their filth.
Just one thing to say: You don't know what your friends did on their couches!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Just one thing to say: You don't know what your friends did on their couches!
I'd rather sit in my friend's filth than a stranger's filth.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
The thread lives on!

BTW, the Barnes and Noble that I originally posted on, the one that removed all of the comy chairs...is now CLOSED!!!! Supposedly due to a lease agreement, but who knows.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I think most retail stores are in the process of cutting to the bare bones just to continue to exist or possibly to keep the CEO in the luxury of which he is accustomed while revenue is lower due to the economy. Either way is ruining the shopping experience.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Golly, interesting logic. So if someone shop-lifts the book, that's not ripping it off either, if the shop-lifter wouldn't have bought it otherwise?
Not a very good analogy, because shop-lifting is against the law.

I find it amusing that your books encourage people to be cheapskates and then you pout because they don't buy the books, but read them for free.

I don't call myself a cheapskate (I prefer "frugal") but when I can get it for little or nothing, it's a personal victory. That being said, I don't go to B&N to read, but to buy. That point has also become moot, since my children bought me a Kindle for Christmas. I'm thinking of ordering a "sample" of your book to see if I want to buy it. (Or go to B&N and read it for free) j/k

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Buying a coffe or a bite to eat at my local B&N doesn't seem to contribute to the bookstore's bottom line, since the coffee shop is a Starbuck's. I would imagine that franchise pays a rental to B&N so any profit from the beverage/food would go to a vastly overrated, overpriced corporation.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Buying a coffe or a bite to eat at my local B&N doesn't seem to contribute to the bookstore's bottom line, since the coffee shop is a Starbuck's. I would imagine that franchise pays a rental to B&N so any profit from the beverage/food would go to a vastly overrated, overpriced corporation.
Hmm, now ya got me wondering just how much (what %) goes to B&N - not that anyone is gonna tell us. Though not all B&N's are going to have that coffee shop inside. Does anyone know how much B&N makes off of having the coffee shop and the difference between profits of having one/not having one? I know, lots of questions but I'm a curious cat

Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Hmm, now ya got me wondering just how much (what %) goes to B&N - not that anyone is gonna tell us. Though not all B&N's are going to have that coffee shop inside. Does anyone know how much B&N makes off of having the coffee shop and the difference between profits of having one/not having one? I know, lots of questions but I'm a curious cat
I'm also curious. Maybe someone will chime in with info.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
That's not entirely correct. At least, at the B&N I've worked at, that was not correct. The cafe is NOT a Starbucks, and absolutely, purchases made in the cafe contribute to B&N's bottom line. The cafe at my B&N is a Barnes & Noble cafe that sells Starbucks coffee and makes drinks according to the Starbucks methods. And because they're selling Starbucks drinks, Starbucks will come in every year and do an appraisal to make sure that we're doing things their way. But not all the food that's sold is from Starbucks. The sandwiches and many of the desserts are not Starbucks. For instance, the cheesecakes are from The Cheesecake Factory and the soups are from...somewhere else. (I forget where.) And you can't use Starbucks gift cards at the cafe because it's not a Starbucks; you CAN use the B&N discount card there.

I don't know the details, but I would imagine that B&N pays a licensing fee to Starbucks, and certainly B&N uses Starbucks as one of their commissaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products