Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy groceries from Wal-Mart. It's cheaper for a reason - it's awful for you. Might as well just eat at McDonald's instead (note: this isn't a good idea either).
After having been spurned multiple times with their larger stores, Walmart is trying to break into my area via the Walmart Marketplace (groceries only.) They purchased the buildings of several local grocery chains to accomplish this.

Despite the horror stories from two ex girlfriends who worked at two very different stores, I decided to stop in with my weekly shopping list. They had only about half the products I normally purchased, and my bill was 18% higher then if I had done my normal shopping routine and purchased everything at once. So I still had to go to my normal store to get the rest of my shopping list, and ended up spending even more money.

Of the three stores they planned, one rarely has more then three workers total in it. The parking lot is nearly empty even around the first of the month. The second store has still not actually been built. The building has been sitting empty for nearly three years now. The third store's parking lot is usually about 2/3rd full, but this is deceiving as there are only 40 parking spots total. They do tend to have about 6-8 people working at any one time, but their selection is even worse then the first store because it's a smaller location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 AM

22 posts, read 27,230 times
Because of two reasons, first people can find everything under one roof and second reason is that they are cheaper than other in many products.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
The last few times I have been to Walmart I have thought of this thread. What I have found often at this store is products are smashed. Such as a box of cereal or even bread it looks like someone stepped on it. Also produce will look old and products are either out of stock and or near expiration. All very annoying.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
The answer to the OP: because they enjoy torturing themselves. I will gladly pay more to shop at target.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM

329 posts, read 460,575 times
I love super Walmarts and their free parking.

I like the blue and yellow color, the happy smiley, the halls, the fast food inside Walmart , the oil change and their satisfied or your money back slogan

I like the toilet too.

I want get married at Walmart and have babies at Walmart.

I will call them Waly for my son and Marty for my daughter.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
Thumbs up Because they don't treat me like a criminal when I return something...

So, I'm just back from returning an ankle support brace at Walmart and a different one at Walgreens. Both bought for cash earlier today... both returns with a receipt. Neither one really helped my sore ankle.

Walmart - no problem - I went to the return desk, gave the gal my receipt and product, and she processed my return, all the while being friendly and giving me some other suggestions for products that might help. I got my cash and returned to the pharmacy area and purchased another product with which I am happy.

Walgreens - ugh - There were no employees up front, so I had to find one and tell her I had a return. She called for a manager, and about 5 minutes later, the guy showed up and seemed really put out that he had to wait on me. Would not process the return without taking my driver license and keying in my personal info. to their computer system. Then he wanted to key in my phone number, and when I told him I don't give it out, he gave me this I told him, "Make something up." Seriously, I have a $10 cash receipt, and you're treating me like a criminal. Why would I want to continue doing business with you?

People can rant all they want about Walmart, but I will continue to shop there because they know how to run a business.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM

222 posts, read 471,030 times
I shop at WalMart because my prescription plan gives me a considerable break there. Also, the prices aren't bad. The one I go to doesn't have a dedicated food department, so I don't know how their food prices match up with other grocery stores.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Here we go again - the WM haters spewing their tales. If you dislike WM, then shop elsewhere. Good for those who believe other stores are perfection.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
... Then he wanted to key in my phone number, and when I told him I don't give it out, he gave me this I told him, "Make something up." Seriously, I have a $10 cash receipt, and you're treating me like a criminal. Why would I want to continue doing business with you?
In their defense, they have to be able to prove that they're not dodging taxes if they get audited, and documenting returns reduces employee theft (which is the largest cause of retail shrinkage).

It has nothing to do with you. I also don't understand why you felt like they were treating you like a criminal. I've had to give up that kind of info for most of the returns I've done, and I may have been slightly annoyed with their policy, but I didn't feel like they didn't trust me for some reason.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Examples:

They can change my oil cheaper than I (or anyone) can do it.
I got a gift card for SA and there was nothing in it I needed or liked. I ended up getting a battery powered lantern. Next week at WM same light 1/3 the price.
The big 3 have their pond water beer for sale at 24 and change. The same beer only in a 36 pack at wm is less than 20 bucks.
They've been the only place lately stocking ammo and not cranking the price.
I can order anything online and have it shipped to the house or store with free shipping.
They have an insanely good return policy.
I can now get groceries too which means I don't have to shop at the overpriced Union stores.
Their refurbished items are treated as new with the same warranty, extended warranty.
They have self checkout, only fools stand in line.
I can camp overnight at one when I am traveling and need to rest so I don't crash.

Other than that, I got nothin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products