Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

I think it's going in both directions. It's not just staff that that needs lessons in courtesy. I've seen a definite increase in customer "attitude" also lately.

Employers are slashing at costs, and employees are being stretched to the breaking point without a doubt. Along with that, many customers are more and more concerned with their budgets nowadays, and are watching every penny they spend. Shopping seems to really trigger their anxiety IMO.

Frustrated, impatient consumer + overworked, harried employee = recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Gypsy, why not write a review of the places on www.yelp.com?

You can remain anonymous.
Maybe that will be a good idea at some point.
I also agree, servers and workers (cashiers) are hard working, harried people for the most part. They have to listen to "WHY DID THIS GO UP SO MUCH?" comments, "Hurry up!" and so on from annoyed patrons.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

115 posts, read 174,647 times
Depends on what takes place. If they deny me products or services for biased reasons, they will get more than a boycott from me. If they say something offensive purposefully towards me, I will purposefully let everyone know. Okay, maybe just complain to their supervisor and check up on them in a month.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
I can't even remember the last time an employee was rude to me at the grocery store-it must have been a few years ago.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I do my thing and try to be a pleasant person but I could care less if you choose to be rude to me for any reason.. it just goes out the other ear.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

21 posts, read 23,364 times
I have stopped patronizing businesses in the past for bad customer service. I am a stickler for great customer service. I understand people can have a bad day, but when you are at work you need to be professional and polite. Personal issues need to be addressed on personal time. When I encounter a rude employee I usually don’t say anything because I don’t want to cause a scene. Depending on how bad the situation is I will either: shrugged it off and continue shopping there or call the corporate office and take my money elsewhere. I go out of my way to compliment great customer service too.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Yup. I shop across town at the other grocery store (same chain though). I have found that at the time it is convenient for me to go, they only have one cashier on and she is the rudest. So I give my business to the other store, who are quite pleasant no matter what.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Seems like every place we go lately, there are rude staff (cashiers). My husband and I have started to boycott places where we get 'attitudes' for no reason.

The other day we were at a place (small store) and the wind was whipping. The door didn't close properly and I was the last one in the door. The woman at the counter (near the door) SNAPPED rudely, "Close the door, will ya?!" in a nasty tone.

I was taken aback by her rudeness. I didn't leave it open on purpose as it is their problem the door is old and rickety. However, if she would have asked me nicely, I wouldn't have cared.

My husband said we're not coming back here anymore.

Today there was another incident in a different place. I was getting a coffee at a local place with him. The guy said "What do you want?" I told him and said "No sugar, half and half please."

The guy looks at me blankly. Then in a pissed off tone says, "We don't have half and half."

Okay, fine. There is a pause of 30 seconds and I am standing there like "Okay?" Finally he says, "We have cream."

I say okay, and we get our coffee.

Later my husband says, "Last time I was in there they had a really belligerent guy (different guy) in there and he said nothing through out the whole transaction, just had this angry look on his face."

I know these incidents are not big deals but it just seems like if you NEED a job you could try being civil to your customers. I worked in public service and know people can be real ass****s but what's up with being rude or surly for no reason??

I just maybe it comes down to people not knowing how to deal with people. Maybe everyone should get cut a break sometimes.

So that's 2 places we won't be returning to if we can avoid it.

I have to say after living here 2.5 years, people in this area are way ruder than in NY. Definitely lacking social graces.
What's with using the word "boycott"? Usually you boycott in protest, or to force someone to behave a certain way.

You're simply choosing to refrain from shopping at a business where you don't like their service. It's called choice, and we all do it in deciding where to spend our money.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What's with using the word "boycott"? Usually you boycott in protest, or to force someone to behave a certain way.

You're simply choosing to refrain from shopping at a business where you don't like their service. It's called choice, and we all do it in deciding where to spend our money.
Boycott definition.

Boycott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You'd be doing these businesses a favor if you'd send them a polite letter and tell them of your bad experiences. They can't make any improvements if they don't know there's a problem.
No offense, but it's not up to me to do them a favor - and since I have no intention of returning, what's the value in taking any of my time at all? FWIW, yes, there is a local business that did yeoman's work in ticking me off. I haven't gone back, nor will I waste time in contacting them - I simply took my business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products