Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

I really get p'oed when the cashier gives me my money by putting it on the counter. It has happened the last couple of stores I went to. I'd rather have them give it to me so I can just quickly put it in my bag. The other way I have to struggle to get all the change off.... bastards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF you extend your hand cashiers will automaticly give you your money! I have trouble with my hand esp with change so I extend my coin purse....most count the change into it!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I haven't had anyone do that to me, but it would annoy me. Put it down so you have to scrape and sweep it off of a counter? I don't think so. I would probably be stunned enough to not do anything the first and maybe the second time that it happened. After that, I would probably do something very Gerania, like stand there with my hand out till till they put the money in it and then verbally assault them with a thank you.

Something that has annoyed me a bit is when people awkwardly put folding money in you hand and then dump all of the coins on top and they all slide off.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:43 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
In many locations, cashiers work behind glass and have to put change on the counter or in a tray. No biggie for me.

I get ticked at the coins on top of the folding money as well. That never used to happen when cashiers could actually count. The proper way to count back change is to count UP.

"Your purchase was $5.17, out of $20." The next occurs while handing back change;
"Your change is eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-five, and (handing three quarters) six (dollars), seven, eight, nine, ten, twenty. Have a nice day."

A good cashier can do this so fast and smoothly out of a drawer that today's crop of kids would be still looking at the display on the register.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
In many locations, cashiers work behind glass and have to put change on the counter or in a tray. No biggie for me.

I get ticked at the coins on top of the folding money as well. That never used to happen when cashiers could actually count. The proper way to count back change is to count UP.

"Your purchase was $5.17, out of $20." The next occurs while handing back change;
"Your change is eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-five, and (handing three quarters) six (dollars), seven, eight, nine, ten, twenty. Have a nice day."

A good cashier can do this so fast and smoothly out of a drawer that today's crop of kids would be still looking at the display on the register.
I certainly don't mind if the people behind the bullet proof glass put the money down; I don't think that they have a choice. Same with a bar. Bartenders just put your change down by your drink.

I've worked a register a few times in my life. A couple of years ago, my son was going to work as a checker at a supermarket for the holiday season. I gave him the rundown: be polite, even if you think that it might kill you, offer assistance above and beyond the call of duty, count back your change. I had to teach him how to do this! I mean show him several times Even if it were were more brief than the above description, more like six dollars, ten, twenty, thank you, it would be better than the wad o' change smack.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
I find it annoying...but I find that pretty much only middle eastern types do this. Must be because a lot don't like to make hand contact...???? I dunno...what is it....poop with your right, eat with your left? LOL
Kinda ironic they handle dirty money...next time I should pull it outta my boxers, like women pull it outta their bras.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 AM

502 posts, read 1,065,963 times
It bugs the hell outta me when people count my change back. I can see how much is there, and if not I'll count it. Just lemme get outta there without the big production.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I really get p'oed when the cashier gives me my money by putting it on the counter. It has happened the last couple of stores I went to. I'd rather have them give it to me so I can just quickly put it in my bag. The other way I have to struggle to get all the change off.... bastards!
haha, it goes the other way around as well.

why is it so hard for some customers to just hand me their money? my favorite thing is when they put their money down on the case (i sell candy) that's about 10 feet away from the register. i'm sure to tell them "i can ring you up down here..." so they have to pick their money back up.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
This is, from what I read, a cultural thing for some people, so in some stores they do this. Although I prefer not to contact hands, it's kind of weird to me. I'm sure some cashiers don't care for touching so many other hands.

I don't care as long as I get the right change, which isn't really so common anymore.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
haha, it goes the other way around as well.

why is it so hard for some customers to just hand me their money? my favorite thing is when they put their money down on the case (i sell candy) that's about 10 feet away from the register. i'm sure to tell them "i can ring you up down here..." so they have to pick their money back up.
People tend to only be interested in their own point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products