Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

16 posts, read 24,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My family and I are looking to move to SF. The low unemployment and moderate growth were the big factors in the final decision for the location. When I say my family, I mean the mother n law, brother n law, and of course wife and son. Both wife and mom n law are in the healthcare field. Your hospitals hold a "magnet" status which is a great thing I am told. I have been a granite countertop contractor for 8 years. Of course now days people need gas in the tank and beans on the table instead of rock on the cabinets. From the research and the forums I've read South Dakota has some very nice people living there. We're not to concerned about your cold weather. If they have clothes for people who go to the top of Everest then my wife will be good. I'm courious about the cost of living there. Can some of you share the square footage of your house, the temp you keep the house, and what the monthly cost to keep it warm during the winter. And the method of heating. Any hot rodders have any info on the smog checks out there? And the rules on modding cars. Thanks you in advance for any info. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as more people chime in.

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Happy Fathers Day!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM

81 views, and no replys? No one has any input on the subject? I'm just trying to get a feel for what we will be getting into, that's all.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 PM

479 posts, read 1,558,959 times
Ok, I'll try, but I'm not from Sioux Falls. It depends where you live now as to the cost of living. It is relatively low, but then the wages correspond to that. (Lower costs, lower wages) I'm fine with that. Sioux Falls is a fine town that I've been around enough to know that I would have no problem living there. Also the cold can be brutal, but you really do get used to it unless you are standing out in your skivvies at 30 below. Smog checks? Never even heard of those.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM

509 posts, read 1,351,913 times
I live in a suburb of SF, have about 1100 sq feet upstairs and about 1000 unfinished basement so no heating, we have a programmable thermostat and keep it about 70 when we're home natural gas and we pay on budget billing about 60-65 a month, if not its 70-85 only 1 time near 100. hope it helps I know nothing about the cars

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replys. Your right about the lower cost of living comes the lower wages. I used to live in Missouri so I'm no stranger to basements. The smog check would be something that would be done when you register your car to get your tags. Do you have safety inspections on your cars? Is the cost of houses a little cheaper in the surrounding of SF. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 AM

509 posts, read 1,351,913 times
Then no smog check or safety inspections.....it depends, sometimes they are but water costs are higher, and taxes usually are a couple hundred more as well

Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithstang View Post
Hi all.

My family and I are looking to move to SF. The low unemployment and moderate growth were the big factors in the final decision for the location. When I say my family, I mean the mother n law, brother n law, and of course wife and son. Both wife and mom n law are in the healthcare field. Your hospitals hold a "magnet" status which is a great thing I am told. I have been a granite countertop contractor for 8 years. Of course now days people need gas in the tank and beans on the table instead of rock on the cabinets. From the research and the forums I've read South Dakota has some very nice people living there. We're not to concerned about your cold weather. If they have clothes for people who go to the top of Everest then my wife will be good. I'm courious about the cost of living there. Can some of you share the square footage of your house, the temp you keep the house, and what the monthly cost to keep it warm during the winter. And the method of heating. Any hot rodders have any info on the smog checks out there? And the rules on modding cars. Thanks you in advance for any info. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as more people chime in.

Keith
I probably can't help you very much. I'm still young and do the apartment thing still! . I'm not sure on the smog checks if its an older car. As for modding, I see people here do all kind of crazy things. I wouldn't think we have any strict rules... We actually allow 4-wheel all-terrain vehicles on the street after all! Some can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Cost of living is low... Wages are also lower, but I imagine being in the healthcare field, wages won't be a problem. Best of luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Is there still smoking inside of resteraunts? I'm happy to see that you have fire flys. What is the personal property tax like. I see that you have a few coffee shops there. Is that a big thing there? Thanks again for all the info. Especially to those who shared their personal bill info.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,520,399 times
Quote:
Can some of you share the square footage of your house, the temp you keep the house, and what the monthly cost to keep it warm during the winter.
There are so many variables, it would be hard to honestly answer this question. Insulation, type/age of windows, age/type of heating system, I live in a very small town, 100 miles, Northwest of Sioux Falls, and last winter our heat was about $900, for propane. It was a long, and fairly cold heating season, also. (The furnace was still running, in early May.)
Since 1996 we have installed all new windows, new (bat) insulation, new siding, roof. (We took OUT 14 windows! durring remodel #1)
So far, you may smoke the bars, but not eating establishments, unless they have alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: