Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend & I are going to be moving to Sioux Falls in June. He's originally from SD and went to college there (SE tech). I'm from MN and will be graduating in May with a Business-Finance degree. I'd like to know what I can expect from living in Sioux Falls. My bf is transferring his job- he works for Schwans.
What neighborhoods are best to live in? Which should be avoided? We're looking for an apartment to rent, anyone know of nice ones (less than $700 a month)? Or ones to avoid? Which parks are nicest? I like biking and would like to live close to the bike trails. Is it a safe city to go for a walk without worrying? How is the traffic in the city? Is it often humid being as the city's around the river?
Anything else you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM

193 posts, read 677,562 times
Hi, I can give you the info I have.. remembering that everyone's ideas and tastes are different
I found the southwest, south, and southeast to be the most inviting areas. If I were moving there with no kids, I'd personally want to be around the 41st to 59th street areas, since that's where everything is happening.
Sertoma Park is very nice, but most of the parks are just fine. I have never felt unsafe anwhere except in the downtown area (just a little) and central area (a little more than just a little).
Apartments:
sioux falls / SE SD apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist (I know Craig's List gets a bad rap sometimes, but most all of these seem to be legit).. I would only call ones with a number and not just an email.
Craig's List also has sublets, and I've seen some pretty desperate people offering some pretty good deals to get someone to take over their lease because they have to move out of town.. some even offered no deposit and first month's rent paid in some pretty decent places.
Also try: Sioux Falls Apartments, Houses, and Homes Rental
Here's a map of the bike trails: City of Sioux Falls - Bike Riding and Trails
Sertoma has them too.. That's located here: Google Maps
Traffic is hairy throughout the day, seems the days of 9 to 5 are far gone. Worst is 4 to 6 pm, but it isn't anything tragically horrible like in big cities.. just have to have patience
Streets like 41st and Minnesota are some of the busiest.
It's not a real humid area. I really can't remember the last horribly humid summer, and it usually changes through the season..
I really like Sioux Falls. It is growing and with growth comes some undesirable people and situations, but all in all it's a really nice place with alot of opportunity if you just keep looking for it
Also, here's a few other fun things to check out:
Things to Do in Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls Attractions - TripAdvisor
The Local Best (Sioux Falls Area (SD)) (great deals and find out what the people voted for as their favorites)
Some more info if you've never seen this site:
Visit Sioux Falls, SD | Conventions, Tourism, & Vacations

Hope you love it

Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 39,673 times
Maybe it's just that my travels have been somewhat limited and I don't know "truly" humid place, but last summer seemed very humid. Granted, it's usually not that bad.
Otherwise, to add to that, I like Tuthill park, but that's not to say the others are bad. In fact, I've been to most of the parks along the bike trail and they are all great! Riding the trails is easily one of my favorite things to do in Sioux Falls!
The city is pretty safe for walking. In the neighborhood I live in, I've gone biking and running at odd hours of the night with no problem.
The only parts of town you might want to be a little bit more careful around are along Duluth Ave at night and parts of North-Central Cliff, but even those areas are not nearly as bad as areas of some places in larger cities. Sioux Falls is quite safe.
I also agree with Raean about parts of town to live in. Anything 41st street and south is almost guaranteed to be *very* safe. That and most of the east side and a fair amount of the West side (I don't go to the West side all too often though so I can't speak too much on all of it).

The more I get around it, the more I enjoy it. Sioux Falls is a nice place!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
Default Apartment available

If you are interested in renting a 1 bedroom apartment I have my apartment available. Looking for someone to take over my lease. Rent is $740 monthly plus electric & heat. I am willing to pay Mays rent if interested in signing over my lease. This apartment is located at The Villas in Sioux Falls. Has an outdoor pool with indoor workout room. Lease ends November 1st, 2018.
If interested you can contact Lafe at 605-731-9880.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 13,963 times
Having family that lives in Southeastern Wisconsin... I can tell you the humidity is not bad out here at all. There is the occasional day but they are not over the top.

I personally have always felt safe in Sioux Falls and I live downtown. I would recommend living downtown. It's growing really fast and there is always something to do. Or, even the McKennan Park area is close to downtown and you can find some decent apartments in that area. You also have multiple access points to the bike trail or if you want to cruise around DTSF the city has done a decent job at adding bike lanes to the major streets.

Good Luck with your move!

Last edited by irish1381; 05-11-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 06:21 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,602,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1381 View Post
Having family that lives in Southeastern Wisconsin... I can tell you the humidity is not bad out here at all. There is the occasional day but they are not over the top.

I personally have always felt safe in Sioux Falls and I live downtown. I would recommend living downtown. It's growing really fast and there is always something to do. Or, even the McKennan Park area is close to downtown and you can find some decent apartments in that area. You also have multiple access points to the bike trail or if you want to cruise around DTSF the city has done a decent job at adding bike lanes to the major streets.

Good Luck with your move!
The OP wanted to move back in June 2012. Still considerate of you to post this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls