Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM

42 posts, read 135,564 times

Advertisements

I seems to be able to get a pretty good impression of the harrisburg, tea, brandon areas from what has been posted, but I was curious about impressions of baltic and dell rapids. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman66 View Post
I seems to be able to get a pretty good impression of the harrisburg, tea, brandon areas from what has been posted, but I was curious about impressions of baltic and dell rapids. Any thoughts?
That just happens to be the area I grew up in. Great people, nice towns.

With these two towns you'll have less congestion commuting to Sioux Falls than what you would experience from Tea, Brandon, or Harrisburg.

Both towns are a little farther away (about 19 miles) but you've got both Interstate 29 and old hwy 77 (as it's still called by the locals. Don't know what the state hwy. # is) as very good roads. You can drive all the way to SF at 55 mph +.

Dells has a lot more commercial. However, it's less than 4 miles from Baltic to Dells, thus Baltic people go to Dells frequently.

Dells has 2 schools. Dell Rapids Public and the catholic school Dell Rapids St. Marys. DRSM is a K-12 private school. Not many of these left in SD.
Baltic has one school. Size wise it's right in between Dells Public and Baltic.

House prices will be slightly less than Sioux Falls.

If you find a house that you like in either community, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

One VERY BIG thing to check on with these 2 communities, is whether you are in a flood plain. The Big Sioux River runs through both, and there are homes that can get flooded. Move up the hill a little.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 AM

jmgg, thanks, great info! Either town would split the difference between the communte for my wife and I. There seem to be some nice homes in both towns. Good to know that the drive can be done mostly at 55+mph.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 94,127 times
Hi Fatman! Hoping things are going well! I moved to Sioux Falls from New York ( Long Island ) to be exact this past October with my wife. So far, it's been great! I'm still getting used to it though. The people have been very friendly and helpful. I worked in New York City, so it's a big difference from what I'm used to. My wife and I now have a little girl and are doing pretty well. We're buying a home next month and are looking forward to home ownership here in town. We're buying on the west side of town, which seems pretty busy to us, a little more like L.I. than other areas. Anyway, if I can help in anyway, let me know, I'll try to give whatever advice I can.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
CBest, it's great to hear feedback like that. I imagine it was a HUGE change for you. Funny cause Sx. Falls must've seemed like a village to you and for me Sx. Falls is a bit too big and full of traffic.

I'm just glad you like it here and that people have been good to you and your family.

Just curious~what do you miss about NY that we don't have here?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Just curious~what do you miss about NY that we don't have here?
We'll I'll go out on a limb and says it's not the New York State taxes...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,413,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
That just happens to be the area I grew up in. Great people, nice towns.

With these two towns you'll have less congestion commuting to Sioux Falls than what you would experience from Tea, Brandon, or Harrisburg.

Both towns are a little farther away (about 19 miles) but you've got both Interstate 29 and old hwy 77 (as it's still called by the locals. Don't know what the state hwy. # is) as very good roads. You can drive all the way to SF at 55 mph +.

Dells has a lot more commercial. However, it's less than 4 miles from Baltic to Dells, thus Baltic people go to Dells frequently.

Dells has 2 schools. Dell Rapids Public and the catholic school Dell Rapids St. Marys. DRSM is a K-12 private school. Not many of these left in SD.
Baltic has one school. Size wise it's right in between Dells Public and Baltic.

House prices will be slightly less than Sioux Falls.

If you find a house that you like in either community, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

One VERY BIG thing to check on with these 2 communities, is whether you are in a flood plain. The Big Sioux River runs through both, and there are homes that can get flooded. Move up the hill a little.
jmgg had a good post. Baltic is small, and only has a gas station for business... I could be wrong... but definitely has a small town feel. If that's what you're looking for!
All state highways are 65 mph. The highway between SF and Dell Rapids is 115.
Dell Rapids is a bit farther from SF than Brandon, Tea, and Harrisburg.
Development in Dell Rapids isn't as expansive as the development in between Sioux Falls and Tea/Harrisburg.

On that note, I drove around a little bit after work, and I came across Fred Assam Elementary School on Six Mile Road east of Highway 11. I did some research and its in the Brandon School District. I had no idea that this elementary school even existed. I knew about the one being built in extreme SW SF.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
jmgg had a good post. Baltic is small, and only has a gas station for business... I could be wrong... but definitely has a small town feel. If that's what you're looking for!
All state highways are 65 mph. The highway between SF and Dell Rapids is 115.
Dell Rapids is a bit farther from SF than Brandon, Tea, and Harrisburg.
Development in Dell Rapids isn't as expansive as the development in between Sioux Falls and Tea/Harrisburg.

On that note, I drove around a little bit after work, and I came across Fred Assam Elementary School on Six Mile Road east of Highway 11. I did some research and its in the Brandon School District. I had no idea that this elementary school even existed. I knew about the one being built in extreme SW SF.
Baltic has a little more than just the convenience store. It also has a municipal bar/liquor store and another tavern right beside the muni.

On main street there is a grocery store and a lumber yard. I also heard that a cafe was opening up there again. Haven't been downtown in Baltic for a year so it should be open by now. There is also a funeral home and a bank downtown as well as an elevator on the highway. There's a new business on the highway next to a new carwash.

Last edited by jmgg; 06-15-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 94,127 times
Yeah Fatman, I'll agree..I don't miss NY state taxes, nor the NY city tax that you get taxed on if you work for the city, but don't live there. Now for the things that I do miss... I miss the variety of things to do, like the broadway shows, the independent films ( I'm a huuuugge movie buff ) and the sites ( times square, statue of liberty,etc). I have to throw this in as well, I really don't miss the traffic commutes to work ( 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way -- 30 miles each way ), rude people ( not everyone, but enough to not miss it ).

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbest23 View Post
Yeah Fatman, I'll agree..I don't miss NY state taxes, nor the NY city tax that you get taxed on if you work for the city, but don't live there. Now for the things that I do miss... I miss the variety of things to do, like the broadway shows, the independent films ( I'm a huuuugge movie buff ) and the sites ( times square, statue of liberty,etc). I have to throw this in as well, I really don't miss the traffic commutes to work ( 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way -- 30 miles each way ), rude people ( not everyone, but enough to not miss it ).
I agree also about NY taxes. We see many people moving out of NY state into New Hampshire to escape the terrible taxes and partake in the more favorable job market.
Most people don't realize how large of a state NY truly is. Upstate NY has been stagnating for decades due to overberance of Albany, excessive tax increases of all types, and NYC dominance of everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls