Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastEscapee View Post
I've looked at the Google maps street view, and the area west of the hospital does seem very nice, with lots of trees (in South Dakota?!?! ) and well-kept single family dwellings.

In a sense, it's not unlike the neighborhood I grew up in. Except Sioux Falls has less drug addicts on the corners, less plywood over the windows, etc.
Yep. South Dakota has trees. 125 years ago, the whole state was prairie with some willow trees and cottonwood trees around river draws and of course pine trees in the Black Hills.

Now, especially in established east river (Missouri River) towns and farm shelter belts planted after the depression year dust storms, there are a lot of trees. The whole state isn't exactly "Dances with Wolves" country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM

69 posts, read 283,320 times
can someone tell me about the area over by Meldrm park ? Around N. Cliff -10th street area ?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
10th and North Cliff area is not terrible but not the most desirable area of Sioux Falls. If one goes north to Rice Street on Cliff Ave, the neighborhoods are more run down and has more crime than other areas but is not a ghetto by any means.

Sioux Falls has crime (as with any cities of size) but is not to the level of many cities its size and larger cities). Most of the crime is petty stuff or due to conflict between people who know each other and have disagreements.

Most areas south of downtown are cleaner and have minimal crime.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoutoftexas View Post
can someone tell me about the area over by Meldrm park ? Around N. Cliff -10th street area ?
I agree with Chris. The Whittier neighborhood, as locals call it, is not a desirable area to live in... There's crime in that neighborhood and its a bit rundown... But its not a big city "ghetto" by any means.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 AM

56 posts, read 210,704 times
I actually work right next door to the apartment complexes you're talking about on 14th Street. I've never been in them but they seem nice enough. They are right along the bike path that runs through the Beadle Greenway where there's some playground equipment and a basketball court. It's a short walk to Avera from there. The people that live in these apartments seem to be good neighbors as I've never experienced any issues in the 3 years working next door. There are a few downsides though. Trains go by this area (just on the other side of the greenway and river). This can be an issue if you're a light sleeper. The other issue I have experienced with this area is I have seen a lot of very intoxicated people (mostly transients) making their way down 14th Street or the bike trails throughout the night as they leave downtown. I haven't seen them do anything that has caused any concern. Overall, I think that it would be a decent enough area to live. There's a grocery store west on 14th downtown that you could even walk to.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 PM

ok, so how about the area west of 29 and say south of 41st or 57th ? I drove around the are north of 41st on that side, iver by the highschool when I wasa there and it looks pretty nice, but never made it south of down to 57th ? and are there any parks in that area ?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM

All areas west of I-29 are of newer housing. Most of the area started to be built in quantity in the 1970's with large tracts being built today extending out from the 1970's housing. The only exception to this would be along 10th street bordering both on the north and south side. Though these are older houses, the neighborhoods are quite safe and updated. There are 3 quite large trailer parks in this area, but these too are kept up pretty good.

There are several parks on the west side of I-29. There's a large softball complex called Dunham Park at about 18th street on Marion Road. South of 41st street is another park also on Marion Road. There's also a park further south and west around a grade school. If you head west on 41st street theres a park called Kuehn Park that also has a 9 hole golf course. With all the new housing being built, I guarantee you there's probably a couple more parks that I'm unaware of.

I wouldn't be very concerned about moving to any part on the west side of I-29. Be warned that there are a couple of flood prone areas as well as the far southwest area having an extremely high water table making working sump pumps operate 9 months out of the year.

One other small negative to living on the west side. The commute to work is sometimes a real gridlock during rush hour since there are only the 10th street and 41st street bridges that cross the interstate in the heart of the city. The city's elite crowd have locked out any hope of another bridge traversing the interstate thanks to the private clubs of Westward Ho and Minnehaha Country Club standing in the way. The city leaders don't have the guts to work out an arrangement and PO the big money boys.

Last edited by jmgg; 04-14-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 02:05 PM

grid lock, LOL . I currently live in Dallas, Tx, I live 18 miles north of my job and I pay aprox $2.50 each way to drive on the tollroad, which is supposed to be faster, it takes me 45mins to an hour to get to work. Hence one of the reason I want out of here. thank you for the info. I appreciate all the input I can get.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
grid lock, LOL . I currently live in Dallas, Tx, I live 18 miles north of my job and I pay aprox $2.50 each way to drive on the tollroad, which is supposed to be faster, it takes me 45mins to an hour to get to work. Hence one of the reason I want out of here. thank you for the info. I appreciate all the input I can get.
A 45 minutes to 1 hour drive is very common for people working in Sioux Falls too. Then again, these workers are driving from 45 to 60 miles away too.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Quote:
ok, so how about the area west of 29 and say south of 41st or 57th ? I drove around the are north of 41st on that side, iver by the highschool when I wasa there and it looks pretty nice, but never made it south of down to 57th ? and are there any parks in that area ?
Basically anything west of I-29 and south of 12th Street will be nice. Theres Kuehn Park, Marion Park, and Dunham Park. Theres also one in the Discovery Elementary area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls