Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM

275 posts, read 978,140 times

Advertisements

Im going to be honest. Mexico has one of the most boring atmosphere in whole America.

The truth is that mexicans fans have a big influence of how americans have the sporting way of life.

I lived many years in Spain where my grandparents were born, so there i knew the big importance of the task that fans have to support their teams.

Twice per year or more i go to San Antonio, where is the homeland of Spurs. One reason why i never go is that the bad atmosphere who sorround some sports as basketball, handegg or hockey.

Is very sad how the americans fans live the roll of supporting their teams. I am not saying that they are less passionate than soccer fans who shouts the whole match, or are all stand up.

Thanks to MLS the things are changing and now you can see football-soccer stadiums with more life, with flags, with flares, with banners, and all those things that in NFL you'll never see...in NFL you are going to see to the eternity a boring atmosphere where everybody is seated the whole match waiting for their teams to score, supporting is forbidden unless you consider "lets go x clap clap clap" as a nice chant.

Do you think that the raising of some supporting groups at MLS is a good idea for the change of how americans live their sports as fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
It is just a game nothing to get so excited over. I have more productive things to do with my life than worship some overpaid athletes.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
American sports fans (with the exception of MLS and a some college football teams) have a sit down, shut up, and watch the game sort of an attitude. Try even standing up at a major league baseball, NFL, or NBA game and you will more than likely be heckled and told to "sit the f down".

Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Given the image of many soccer fans around the world -- rioting and yelling racist chants -- is that really something Americans should want to imitate?

Americans sports teams -- professional and college -- have a lot of passionate support. That needn't manifest itself into acting like an idiot in the stands. I know, I'm picking on some isolated incidents and ignoring the civil yet passionate displays you see in the "beautiful game." I guess I don't see why it should matter to non-Americans (or even Americans) whether or not we behave at spectator sporting events the way they do at soccer matches worldwide. Besides, most of us with the money to attend these events aren't 25 anymore. I know I don't have the energy to yell like an idiot for 2-3 hours.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Fairly good atmosphere with the Colorado Rapids fans when I have been there. We stand up
You only have to yell like an idiot for 90 minutes, not 3 hours. Some beer will help with that.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
It's just a differant sports culture. Baseball set the standard for American crowds. In the early days crowds were roudy and some teams had fans that would sing. But that died out.

You must also admit that the singing in Europe isn't just about support for club. In your early days and even in the not too distant past there was a lot of political and social strife amongst fans. Just look and Spain and Italy and Scotland where your politics and/or religion can play a role in the club you support. That adds a lot to the game. We don't have that here.

As someone also stated we like to sit and watch the actual game. We have our parties before and after the game, not during.

I have nothing against Euro sporting culture. As a former Chicago Fire season ticket holder I took part in many supporter chants and songs. It's just not something most Americans will get behind.

You also mentioned flares. That's a liability issue and a lawsuit waiting to happen. They're used at Fire matches from time to time but you get kicked out if caught.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
I think there's less drinking, so therefore, less roudiness. Alcohol is v. expensive at stadiums and if you get in trouble for being roudy, the penalties can be severe compared to in Latin America (practically non-existent, no?) or Europe and if you end up w/ a criminal record you can lose your job and thus begins the cascading effect.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think there's less drinking, so therefore, less roudiness. Alcohol is v. expensive at stadiums and if you get in trouble for being roudy, the penalties can be severe compared to in Latin America (practically non-existent, no?) or Europe and if you end up w/ a criminal record you can lose your job and thus begins the cascading effect.
Actually, there's probably more drinking here at games. In England alcohol is banned in the stands. Not sure about other countries. I've never been to a sporting event here be it baseball, football, soccer, hockey where folks aren't blitzed out of their minds.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:03 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Actually, there's probably more drinking here at games. In England alcohol is banned in the stands. Not sure about other countries. I've never been to a sporting event here be it baseball, football, soccer, hockey where folks aren't blitzed out of their minds.

Funny, just attended a pro baseball game here in the states and everyone around me was stone cold sober.

I guess you haven't heard of British hooligans, no?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Funny, just attended a pro baseball game here in the states and everyone around me was stone cold sober.

I guess you haven't heard of British hooligans, no?
That's one game. I've seen shouting, yelling, pushing, fighting people tossing full beverage cups. Go to a Phillies/Mets game...you'll see all that and maybe a little more.

Of course I know about the British hooligans. They are why alcohol is banned at matches in the UK, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer