Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times

Advertisements

Hooliganism is only in England then ?
You dont open your eyes enough to see the **** that happens at games here ? The riots after your team wins whatever competition they were in :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM

943 posts, read 782,095 times
Non-americans come off as very superficial with their obsession with "atmosphere." Not to mention there arrogance of not understanding that americans have the right to have a different sport culture.

When americans watch a game they are watching the game- not singing and rioting. Notice how soccer fans rarely talk about the actual game and activity on the pitch but the atmosphere and fans???

Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Non-americans come off as very superficial with their obsession with "atmosphere." Not to mention there arrogance of not understanding that americans have the right to have a different sport culture.

When americans watch a game they are watching the game- not singing and rioting. Notice how soccer fans rarely talk about the actual game and activity on the pitch but the atmosphere and fans???
Quite the opposite. American sporting events are quite superficial because they fill the games with constant crap to distract the fans for the actual game itself. Cheerleaders, stupid in-between the innings crap (which potato wins the race to first base on the big screen, spin on the bat contests), bands playing, dance teams, halftime shows, countless annoying mascots jumping around... I could go on forever. International soccer games tend to be about the sport itself and don't need those ridiculous distractions to keep the average fans attention.

Anyway... the point is American sporting events go way overboard bringing in all these distractions trying to build stadium atmosphere which, in my opinion, is not only superficial, but disrespectful to the sport itself. Take the super Bowl for example.. It has unfortunately morphed into this giant, goofy, pop culture cesspool.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

I find the NFL in genearl to be sport based around advertising and glitz. The sport itself caters to all this stuff, when in Football (soccer) any advertising is based around the game. No breaks or crappy band and interruptions when the game is going on.

Fans talk about the atmosphere because there is rivaly, why would you not talk about atmosphere ? Football fans watch the game, trust me else what is the point! And Football fans dont riot! Yes there is violence but its a complete minority and not so much in stadiums anymore anyway. To even suggest that all we do is sing and riot goes to show you know nada about the actual Sport or the passion that surrounds it at all.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
I can't understand why people get excited over soccer.
In the USA the highest skilled athletes play baseball then those big guys who can't hit or catch a ball play football, than those real tall guys who can't hit or run real fast carrying a ball play basketball. and finally those little guys who can't hit or throw or tackle decide to be soccer players. But that's the way it is in the USA a sport made for everybody.

In all fairness not everybody understands baseball, football or basketball so you guys got soccer.

Please don't tell me how popular soccer is world wide. Easy stuff is always more popular.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 AM

I think throwing on tights and padding and running forward with a ball in your hand is a little easier than soccer. Casuse we all know if them men in tights could actually handle it they would play Rugby

Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In the USA the highest skilled athletes play baseball then those big guys who can't hit or catch a ball play football, than those real tall guys who can't hit or run real fast carrying a ball play basketball. and finally those little guys who can't hit or throw or tackle decide to be soccer players. But that's the way it is in the USA a sport made for everybody.

In all fairness not everybody understands baseball, football or basketball so you guys got soccer.

Please don't tell me how popular soccer is world wide. Easy stuff is always more popular.
Did it ever occur to you that soccer players play the sport because they love it? I've never met a soccer player that played the sport because they couldn't excel at "the big 3". I played baseball for years but became bored with it and started playing ice hockey. Not because I was bad at baseball, the sport just bored me to death. Soccer is a sport you can play at a competitive level well after high school and into your adult years. Football you can't. Football players tend to put down the football after high school and pick up the Doritos.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

You're a little late to the soccer-bashing party. It ended with the World Cup.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
As an American soccer fan I can say this with no reservations.

Americans that bash soccer have no clue what they are talking about.

Europeans that bash American sports have no clue what they are talking about.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM

221 posts, read 656,276 times
Simple, they don't care about it as much as we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer