Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM

59 posts, read 46,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Like the poster above said...half of all NFL players are obese. Sure NFL has freak athletes, but it also has a surplus of guys with waves of fat rolls sloshing around on the field. You simply can't get away with that in soccer.
They are two completely different sports so I dont understand your point. Landon Donovan, who practically looks malnourished- wouldn't be able to get away with being 150 pounds in football. It's a ridiculous comparison to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
They are two completely different sports so I dont understand your point. Landon Donovan, who practically looks malnourished- wouldn't be able to get away with being 150 pounds in football. It's a ridiculous comparison to begin with.
My point is that when I think "great athlete" the last thing that comes to mind is a guy swimming in fat. And, since the NFL has a severe obesity problem, I would conclude that the sport with the best athletes as a whole is definitely not NFL football.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
And, since the NFL has a severe obesity problem...
The NFL does not have an obesity problem overall. Only linemen tend to be beefy, and many of them have had issues getting that playing weight off in retirement. But if you look at the other positions, those guys are not fat. Not even close.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 AM

325 posts, read 787,870 times
I like a sport where ability to succeed has more to do with your talent than it does with your size.

Not to mention one where I can settle in for 45-50 minutes of action, a 15-minute break and then 45-50 more consecutive minutes of sport without an insane amount of time off between plays, commercial breaks, etc., just so that we can see 10 minutes of action played over three hours. And one where it actually means something - and is really, really difficult - to score.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,660,941 times
Rugby is a good compromise between NFL and soccer I'd say re. size/strength versus athleticism. You've generally got to be 250lbs or so and at least 6'3" for some positions, but 5'9" 170lbers can still play at the top level. You've also got to be able to run around almost continuously for 80 minutes (I'd reckon the ball is in play around 30-50% of the time) and play up to 30-40 games a season, re. soccer, only the scoring system/frequency is more like NFL. Great game. If NFL wasn't already established I reckon Americans would love it.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,024,469 times
I'm not a huge soccer head but seriously.

Aren't people tired of rehashing this tired old meme?

Soccer is niche but growing in a crowded market. It has potential but a ceiling.

Can we trash these kind of threads now?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Trash them because what you said is right and what everybody else thinks is wrong ?
Sure, trash em all now! Last thing you need in a discussion forum is yaknow, discussion.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Trash them because what you said is right and what everybody else thinks is wrong ?
Sure, trash em all now! Last thing you need in a discussion forum is yaknow, discussion.
i know, some people!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
People are going to complain, people are gonna hate.

Plain and simple, it's not gonna stop anytime soon... But seriously, they are TWO DIFFERENT SPORTS played two very different ways! There's a reason why there are some big guys in the NFL and it's for blocking. I wouldn't want some one blocking for me who's about a buck and 5 cents "heavy". And don't think those big Linemen are just fat slobs... they don't just sit on a couch eatin' Doritos every day. They have to work out and have plenty of strength and movement as well.

Soccer players are skinner because they have to run up and down a field for 45+ minutes straight, so of course you don't see any big guys playing.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 AM

896 posts, read 268,457 times
I like the aspects of both sports NFL and MLS and follow them regularly. They all are very talented athletes.

But back to the main Q

Why has soccer never caught on in the United States?

I think the biggest reason is TV $$ - in soccer they can't break to commercial every five minutes.

Without that revenue stream it's a tough sell to advertisers. Thus keeps soccer from breaking into the US mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer