Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times

Advertisements

My homies lmao thats awesome. I never said Americans only use it but you do use it alot.
Hence why its Football, Aussie Rules Football, American Football, Gaelic Football, Rugby Football but I do say "real football" because so many here are confused and use that for American Football :P
I feel you may be raging a little bit too much on the other end of the keyboard so I just want to point out that I am jesting around a bit. No need to take everything so serious!

Anyway, back on topic .......

Cant wait for the new season to start, hopefully we will see a rise in atendences and TV coverage pick up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM

161 posts, read 141,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
You're right, it is really hard to compare. What determines the best athlete?

Pound for pound, the biggest athletic freak I've ever seen is Lebron James.

Quickness, explosion, leaping ability, change of speed ability...I just see the guys in the NFL/NBA as more gifted.

Skill required for soccer though is a different story. Those guys are amazingly skilled at their sport.

Another reason the US sucks at soccer-the coaching. Compared to the rest of the world, the skills these guys have from over seas and South America isnt even comparable.
I agree, Lebron is a freak, even for basketball. You have Kobe, Chad Johnson, etc that love soccer and are apparently pretty decent at it, but I think they picked their respective sports because their physical attributes (attributes you can't control) made it easier for them to play football or basketball instead of soccer. The US hasn't produce a soccer freak ... yet and I don't think we will until people here realize that there's money to be had in the sport. Yea- the US coaching sucks, and growing up, we didn't even see how the world played the game. But with the internet, and games being shown around the world being easily accessible now, the sport has a better chance of luring our most athletic guys.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
The main problem with soccer is they are all a bunch of pansy's. Who wants to cheer for a bunch of sissies who spend more time crying on the ground than actually playing.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

161 posts, read 141,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The main problem with soccer is they are all a bunch of pansy's. Who wants to cheer for a bunch of sissies who spend more time crying on the ground than actually playing.
As much as I love soccer, I have to admit that's a huge problem with the sport among other things. I'd say American soccer players are known for not diving as much as their European, Latin American or African counterparts though. Sadly, it's a trend that Ginobili has brought to the NBA.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You've obviously never seen a professional soccer player run to the sidelines and get stables in their head and stitches in their leg only to return to the game immediately after.

Way to make a blanket statement about tens of thousands of athletes across the globe.

Players in the NFL fake injuries too as do players in the NBA. If they would benefit from it more, they would do it more. Trying to get that extra advantage through deception is something plaguing all sports.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You've obviously never seen a professional soccer player run to the sidelines and get stables in their head and stitches in their leg only to return to the game immediately after.

Way to make a blanket statement about tens of thousands of athletes across the globe.

Players in the NFL fake injuries too as do players in the NBA. If they would benefit from it more, they would do it more. Trying to get that extra advantage through deception is something plaguing all sports.
i would say footballs a fairly dangerous sport, if a guy is running full pelt and slide tackles you if its not timed right you can easily break a leg as has happened countless time, head injuries are very common also, when two players go to head a ball, i know other sports are dangerous also, but to the guy who said footballs a 'panzy' sport is ridiculous. go and play an 11 a-side game then, with people who can actually play, then come back and see if you still think that you will be sore for days believe me!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Who was the player for Man City in early 2000's that tried to run off a broken leg ? I think he managed them briefely if I remember correctly, I have him pictured in my head just cant remember the name. Also the German keeper for City that played with a broken neck.

Spanish Football and Italian Football is hard to watch because there is alot of diving. Not much diving in MLS that I see tbh.

To call Football a pansy sport is a joke tbh, I mean if you want to start the whole fat guys in tights and helmets running around debate you should prolly start another thead on it.

NY Red Bulls have that 16 or 17 year old kid who played an absolute stormer in the playoffs (least I think it was NYRB). The kid had everything going for him and if he continues to develope we could probably have the first US player to be an actual "Star" on the world stage and not just in America's eyes like Donavon IMHO.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
eduardos leg break for arsenal was the worst injury i have seen in a sport, and ben arfa got a leg break for newcastle a few months back. i think the guy your talking about is this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XS2ANV5Wjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-LjWijyC08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ry3L1Ou9GM

Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Stuart Pearce!
I cant view YT at work here but it was Stuart Pearce.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
The question was, why has soccer never caught on in the United States, I answered it. It comes off as a pansy sport. You can name injuries, sure... but I can find people in tennis who have broken their legs or people swimming who dove to low and broke their neck. Soccer might require physical stamina, but to put it on equal grounds of "toughness" with hockey or football is absurd. Its just my opinion on why it hasn't taken on in USA, take it for what its worth.

And in the world cup, I agree.. Americans didn't cry on the ground like the other countries did. Maybe soccer gets that reputation because they don't see enough Americans and too many crying latinos or europeans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer