Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times

Advertisements

When you take into consideration that the average attendance for a MLS game is just over 16,000 per game, NHL around 16,000 and NBA just over 17,000...Soccer is FAR from being an irrelevant sport in the US. Even a few MLS teams have higher tv ratings locally than major league baseball teams. The problem is so many people have an outspoken, seething hatred for the sport and don't want to accept the fact that it is a major American sport. It seems more people care about tearing the sport apart (the #1 argument that soccer haters in America have against the sport is that it is "full of gays and pansies"- I hear it almost on a weekly basis from at least someone.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
When you take into consideration that the average attendance for a MLS game is just over 16,000 per game, NHL around 16,000 and NBA just over 17,000...Soccer is FAR from being an irrelevant sport in the US. Even a few MLS teams have higher tv ratings locally than major league baseball teams. The problem is so many people have an outspoken, seething hatred for the sport and don't want to accept the fact that it is a major American sport. It seems more people care about tearing the sport apart (the #1 argument that soccer haters in America have against the sport is that it is "full of gays and pansies"- I hear it almost on a weekly basis from at least someone.)
In fairness this really isnt a valid comparison in my opinion when you consider the large difference in number of games played by the MLS vs. NBA / NHL. Not to mention TV ratings of the leagues.

Is MLS irrelevant? I dont know, if a game is on I may or may not watch it. However I really do not have any interest in following it on a consistent basis. I'll stick with my Spurs and the EPL.

COYS!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Soccer has really made inroads over the past few decades. Major League Soccer has expanded and ESPN has been hyping it's coverage of the World Cup in 2010, despite likely no one watching it. No one has any idea what the US team is doing.

Still comparatively I would argure more signifiganct inroads have been made in East Asia, particularly South Korea and Japan which were previously dominated by baseball. There is much talk about the national teams for those respective countries in their local media, particularly Japan.

In the US, I'd bet most don't even know we had a national team.

I don't really see it getting big here. I tried watching the MLS a couple of times and even the UEFA. I really respect soccer fans passion but compared to American sports, the game holds little appeal.

Baseball vs. Soccer? Hmmm, I actually moderately like baseball (although having the home team in the pennant race helps), I found it's more a game of suspense.

With assocation football, americans are teased by all the movement yet there seems to be little payoff with such low amounts of scoring. Our primary reference is to like basketball or gridiron football. B-Ball is fast paced and high scoring. Football CAN be low scoring but this is offset by the structure of plays and the fact that it's a game focused on hitting each other.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
I can't see how you can call baseball fast paced.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Baseball is among the least exciting spectacles on earth. I know because I played for ten years.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I can't see how you can call baseball fast paced.
I believe the poster was referring to basketball (b-ball).

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM

I was refering to Basketball. ALso admittedly, some are clouded by the fact that despite only so many drives result in scores in gridiron football, the scores are much higher than in association.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Scores should NEVER be an argument because all sports can have slow, low scoring games.

Just a thought.... what if every single baseball score had an average of, let's say, 18-21? What if baseball finally put replay in and stopped living in the dark ages? Maybe, we wouldn't be calling baseball a boring sport.

And I have to give the MLS credit. That leauge has thrived and it's well managed. With soccer-specific stadiums being built and better marketing than the WNBA and Arena Football, the MLS is showing that it may survive for as long as the Big Four.

.... now I'm not gonna say the the MLS will overtake the NFL in popularity, or even the other major leauges in this country, but it can survive.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Just so you know, I have actually heard people say this about the scores.

Baseball doesn't need high scores, it needs better marketing and team management (replay too).

Also agree that all things considered MLS is relatively successful. 20 years ago, people would think it nuts to be building soccer specific stadia in the US, now look at Philly getting a team to start playing next year!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
ESPN has been hyping it's coverage of the World Cup in 2010, despite likely no one watching it. No one has any idea what the US team is doing.
Um, seriously? The 2006 final earned a ~7.0 rating World Cup Final Receives Its Highest TV Rating Since 1994 - washingtonpost.com and ratings throughout the competition impressed. And the U.S. team bombed - the U.S. team's successes/failures have little to do with the ratings. Other than skyrocketing if the team makes a long run, but if the team bombs again a lot of people will still watch.

Quote:
In the US, I'd bet most don't even know we had a national team.
Really? I find that hard to believe. They may not care, but they know there is one.

Quote:
With assocation football, americans are teased by all the movement yet there seems to be little payoff with such low amounts of scoring.
In my opinion, every single goal is an incredible amount of payoff and more than makes up for the lack of scoring compared to other sports. Honestly, that is one thing I love about soccer - every score actually means something.

---

Bottom line, as a long-time American soccer fan, long ago I stopped caring what others thought. I love soccer and that will not change - if others want to join me, great; if not, no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer