Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times

Advertisements

Spanish football is boring, full off diving cry baby fools.
English football has ben raped by useless foreign players.
You need to watch Italian and German football.
MLS is on alot too. Argentine football is also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,484 times
I think Aug 18, 2007 will go down as a big day for the advancement of soccer in the US. There were 66,000 people on hand in New York for an MLS game. I was worried that if the game ended 1-0 or 1-1, you'd have people complaining that it was boring or that ending in a tie sucks....well, I couldn't have asked for a more entertaining game.

You had the most recognizable/famous soccer player in the world doing what he does best and you had an all out, wildly entertaining game that saw 9 goals scored. I know soccer purists will say the defense was awful, but I think an exciting game was what could help hook a lot of the people who were on the fence about the sport.

Given the current situation in sports......a dog murderer in the NFL, a HUGE referee scandal in the NBA, and the home run record in baseball recently becoming completely meaningless........this great soccer game could really help kick down the door in the US.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM

64 posts, read 204,114 times
As much as I don't know the point of the post I have to agree. I love the game of soccer.

It is just slow of a game for North America.

The stupid offside rule just makes it worse.

Play for 90 minutes scoreless and somebody scores a beauty and there is a guy there holding a flag that thinks the man was 3 cm ahead of the ball when it was kicked.

Couple that with the fake injuries and the rolling around in agony and you havet he answer as to why it won't take off here.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,824 times
I was skeptical of Beckham's arrival, but no matter what anyone says, he is certainly bringing attention to the sport. He is a bonafide star in the international game, and while he's not what he used to be, he is still a very good player in comparison to what we have in the league now. Now, if we could only attract a few more players to our league...say Okocha. Okocha would be magical if we could get him. Or Figo...

Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
I am curious- do they like soccer in Canada? Might be nice to think that there is one other country that is indifferent to it.

I resided in Germany and had access to some great soccer while having diminished access to American Football. I gradually grew to enjoy it, although it helped to be surrounded by a culture that was truly into it. Since then, however, I only watch it around World Cup time or it I am visiting a friend in NJ who is into it.

Each time I view a match, I think to myself, "The whole world likes this. There must be something to it." Will it eventually become more popular here? I do not know. It certainly is possible. I think it already has a decent sized niche.

With a population of 300 million, one might think the US could find enough guys to form a national team that could win the World Cup.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Population does help, but it dosent help that the league is still a joke the way its run and all your 'best' players are playing for average teams in europe.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Just as the best European basketball players are in the NBA.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,753,282 times
Toronto's first-year entry into MLS, Toronto FC, regularly play to 20,000+ crowds.

That being said, let's keep in mind they play in Toronto which is chock full of folks who have immigrated from other countries.

Soccer, outside of communities or families that have immigrated from other countries, is very low on the Canadian sport scene.

If I had to guess at a spectator popularity list:

1. Hockey
2. Baseball
3. NFL football
4. CFL football
5. Auto racing
6. Curling

Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Just as the best European basketball players are in the NBA.
Probably true, ive no interest in watching men slap a ball though .....

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM

943 posts, read 783,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
2 points to add:

1) With the NBA ref scandal, the NFL with Michael Vick's troubles, and MLB getting ready to hand over its greatest record to a cheater....now may be the time for Americans to finally say "enough" with the big 3, and embrace soccer. Likely? No. Possible? Sure.

2) Complaining about low scores in soccer is a stupid argument for why it isn't popular. If an American Football game ends 21-14, isn't that the exact same thing as a soccer game ending 3-2?

Maybe soccer goals should be worth 7 points each? Then the sport would take over America!!!!!!

But few soccer games end in 3-2.

Most games(or shall I say matches) don't have more than 3 total goals!!! To find a game with 5 goals is rare.

0-1 or 0-0 or 0-2 are typical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer