Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Lol I cannot take you serious! Germany open and daring?! That is how I would describe Brazil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol I cannot take you serious! Germany open and daring?! That is how I would describe Brazil!
True, I was about to add that Brazil is about the only nation that can roll out any formation, tactics, and roster and get away with it on the highest stage. Germany lets opponents play, you'll rarely see a German team stifle the opponent with 0 goals, 2-3 SOGs, and 35% possession like Spain and Italy can. It's also part of what makes Germany more enjoyable to watch.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Did Bayern let Barca play? Did Dortmund let Madrid play?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Did Bayern let Barca play? Did Dortmund let Madrid play?
Why are you mentioning Bayern and Dortmund, I was talking about the German Nat'l team. Besides, Dortmund DID let Madrid have some joy, especially in the 2nd match. Common link there is Hummels, he's nice with the ball but not nearly stingy enough for my tastes in a center half.

Bayern is NOT the German Natl team in disguise (what with Dante, Alaba, Ribery, Martinez, Robben and Gustavo all starting vs Barca).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm just taking credit for not buying that Brazil's recent lackluster play signals a drop in their world football stature.
It's not a rumor or something. They have not gotten past the quarterfinals in three consecutive major tournaments. The last two world cups, and the last Copa America were all QF's and out. Elminated by the "mighty power" Paraguay last summer. They have not appeared to have the premier superstar to lead the line lately. Perhaps Neymar is becoming that. I certainly take them more seriously after this Confed Cup.

But before this run, they had a series of World Cups where they went "champions, runners up, champions." During that time they had one runners up and two or three copa america championships. They had world superstars leading the way. Romario. Ronaldo. Ronaldinho. etc.

Now they are Quarterfinals, quarterfinals, quarterfinals ...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
It's not a rumor or something. They have not gotten past the quarterfinals in three consecutive major tournaments. The last two world cups, and the last Copa America were all QF's and out. Elminated by the "mighty power" Paraguay last summer. They have not appeared to have the premier superstar to lead the line lately. Perhaps Neymar is becoming that. I certainly take them more seriously after this Confed Cup.

But before this run, they had a series of World Cups where they went "champions, runners up, champions." During that time they had one runners up and two or three copa america championships. They had world superstars leading the way. Romario. Ronaldo. Ronaldinho. etc.

Now they are Quarterfinals, quarterfinals, quarterfinals ...
As I Brazilian and passionate about soccer, I have to clarify some things here. It is true that for quite some time Brazil has not been playing up to the standards people in general expect, but that has little to do with the fact they were eliminated in the last Copa America. Most Brazilian soccer fans don't give a squat for Copa America, the WC is really the only tournament that matters. I have noticed European teams give a lot more attention to the EuroCup. What has been bothering most of us really is that the last generation of players sort of lost their passion and enthusiasm for the game. Seems like they have been more concerned about their egos and partying than trying to do what they do best, which is to play the jogo bonito. It was certainly like that in the 2006 WC, where they clearly showed no interest in playing competitively. Then we had the very unusual squad of 2010 made of defensive power and defensive midfielders that was so unlike us! On top of all that, we have been dealing with a lot of alleged corruption within the soccer administration in the country, so the people of Brazil in general just forgot about our memorable Seleção for a while. Look, I mean no disrespect to the other countries with soccer tradition, but when Brazil is being what they really are, which is to say, playing the beautiful game, that's really what matters the most for us. Brazil did not win any WC in the 80's but yet we had one of the most memorable Seleção of all times in the 82 WC. Everybody in Brazil loved that team despite of losing the WC.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
As I Brazilian and passionate about soccer, I have to clarify some things here. It is true that for quite some time Brazil has not been playing up to the standards people in general expect, but that has little to do with the fact they were eliminated in the last Copa America. Most Brazilian soccer fans don't give a squat for Copa America, the WC is really the only tournament that matters. I have noticed European teams give a lot more attention to the EuroCup. What has been bothering most of us really is that the last generation of players sort of lost their passion and enthusiasm for the game. Seems like they have been more concerned about their egos and partying than trying to do what they do best, which is to play the jogo bonito. It was certainly like that in the 2006 WC, where they clearly showed no interest in playing competitively. Then we had the very unusual squad of 2010 made of defensive power and defensive midfielders that was so unlike us! On top of all that, we have been dealing with a lot of alleged corruption within the soccer administration in the country, so the people of Brazil in general just forgot about our memorable Seleção for a while. Look, I mean no disrespect to the other countries with soccer tradition, but when Brazil is being what they really are, which is to say, playing the beautiful game, that's really what matters the most for us. Brazil did not win any WC in the 80's but yet we had one of the most memorable Seleção of all times in the 82 WC. Everybody in Brazil loved that team despite of losing the WC.
Good stuff Indy, I can add that Brazilian fans often don't even want to know about the national team because they are focused on their club teams. (not unlike UK fans of the big teams like ManU).

While I've got ya, which nations probably going to Brazil 2014 do you think could be tough or at least fun to watch?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM

German national team is a carbon copy of Bayern just like Spain is like Barca.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
German national team is a carbon copy of Bayern just like Spain is like Barca.
A while back I was thinking this is something that could be a problem for Spain. Barca has Messi, and so much of the goal scoring is on his shoulders. Take him away and Spain can't cover for his impact, they don't have anyone of his ability. I think that hurts the Spanish team, because no one is taking it on themselves, or can take it on themselves, to fill his shoes.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
While I've got ya, which nations probably going to Brazil 2014 do you think could be tough or at least fun to watch?
It will be an interesting WC to say the least, but it has the potential to be the best WC in a very long time, in terms of the overall quality of the games.

Spain and Germany will come as the European favorites by far. They have solid well formed teams with adjustments that can be achieved quickly. Italy showed in the Conf Cup that they may come strong too.

One or more African teams can do very well too because the climate in general may benefit them. Remember, it's going to be winter in Brazil but the upper half of the country can still be really hot, especially if FIFA insists in the stupid idea of having games in the middle of the afternoon. Curiously, that can be a hassle to Brazil too because most of them play in Europe.

Argentina may also be a contender for the final, but I personally think they fall earlier, maybe they will reach the semis. They do have an extra motivation to do well in this WC because the epic rivalry with Brazil (imagine what it would mean to them if they could win an WC in Brazil), but also winning a WC is what is missing in Messi's curriculum. Anyway, I still think they won't have what it takes to pull it.

Other South American teams are all strong contenders for the round of 16, maybe Uruguay (if they qualify that is) will go further. It's weird that they are struggling to qualify but that's the way they have always been, they could still do well in the WC like they did in the last one.

I have little hope for any Asian or Concacaf team, Mexico? Really? I don't think so. I do cheer for the USA, but they won't go far, let's face it.

My Brazil, well, they are still evolving as a team. They delivered 2 massive performances against Italy and Spain in the Conf Cup, the "playing at home" effect helped and will help, but I think they are not ready yet. Unlike many think, they do currently have plenty of talent to win, depending how motivated they feel and how well structured they come to the WC, they may even sweep the tournament, but you never know. At this point all I can say, anything but the championship will likely be seen as a tragedy for most Brazilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer