Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
A while back I was thinking this is something that could be a problem for Spain. Barca has Messi, and so much of the goal scoring is on his shoulders. Take him away and Spain can't cover for his impact, they don't have anyone of his ability. I think that hurts the Spanish team, because no one is taking it on themselves, or can take it on themselves, to fill his shoes.
Thy are current world and double European champions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
Spain sucks......................................trollfa ce engaged

Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yes, indeed, but coaches and players are already figuring out how to cancel their game. The main challenge for del Bosque until the WC is to figure out alternative plays for Spain. IMHO they have basically just one major game style, which is to keep possession in the midfield thanks to their incredibility skilled players in that sector, waiting for a gap or opportunity to advance and score. I must say, watching Spain play against teams that are unable to prevent their game is one of the most boring chores for a soccer fan like me, who's idea of soccer is, well, to attack and score goals! I know a lot of people and some sports journalists think Spain revolutionized the game because of the high possession and refined passes in the midfield. Me and most of my soccer friends (not all of them are from Brazil) find their game rather tedious, like reading a bad book and checking all the time how many pages are left till the end. Look at their performance in the last WC. They just could not score! They lost to the Swiss in the first match because they allowed them to score first and could not break the rigid defense by just moving the ball around in the midfield. They were the champions scoring an goal average of a trace over 1 goal per game, that's the lowest average ever for a WC champion. Sorry, but that was ridiculous. Make no mistake, Spain has a very good team but they will definitively have to think outside the box and reinvent alternatives for their game if they want to win the WC in Brazil.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Correct. What i was thinking about was that they are relieing more on the magic of Messi now (compared to prior WC) at Barca. I never said they were bad, but that having the players used to Messi bailing them out at Barca, coupled without a strong back up on the national team may have them lost to score goals. It was just a thought as it may be a weakness going forward.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Why are Spain getting this scrutiny though? They have nothing to prove every other nation does!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Quote:
Why are Spain getting this scrutiny though? They have nothing to prove every other nation does!
I agree with that.

Spain are doing something incredible. They are WC and European champions and have one of the best sides ever. Don't think they need to prove anything at this stage and if so, let them prove it when it matters. Losing out in the Confederations Cup doesn't really matter. Its all about next year for Spain.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Champions always get scrutiny. It's like any other sport when a champion has a rough patch...its what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer