Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I never said the game was boring..I just think there are ways to make it more interesting.

WC is much like the Olympics...people root as much for the flag as the game itself. Millions and millions watch Olympic Hockey. Yet when its over they don't watch hockey for 4 years. WC is much the same way. As a sports fan i would not miss these final 3 games as its a great spectacle with really interesting storylines. But I am willing to bet that 75 percent of those who were "rabid" USA fans ...disappeared when the USA lost. That is as much a tribute to the amazing spectacle that is the WC as it is to people who really don't like soccer much at all but love to root for the uniform.
I was the one who made the boring comment. If I find a match boring so what? It's my opinion.

The problem with this thread in particular is that there are a few defensive people who cannot just accept that other people can have their own opinions. If you don't think soccer and this World Cup are the greatest things since sliced bread then there's gotta be something really wrong with you. You must be an American who doesn't know anything about soccer or you're an American trolling this board. Reality is that some of us may still enjoy a sport but not like some of its aspects. What some posters are displaying here is all-or-nothing thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,825 times
Quote:
WC is much like the Olympics...people root as much for the flag as the game itself. Millions and millions watch Olympic Hockey. Yet when its over they don't watch hockey for 4 years. WC is much the same way. As a sports fan i would not miss these final 3 games as its a great spectacle with really interesting storylines. But I am willing to bet that 75 percent of those who were "rabid" USA fans ...disappeared when the USA lost. That is as much a tribute to the amazing spectacle that is the WC as it is to people who really don't like soccer much at all but love to root for the uniform.
Oh I know you didn't say it was boring. That's the more general comment I've heard so much when I stray to non soccer sites. Personally, right now (sorry LindaG) I'm hoping and almost praying for a Brazil/Argentina final because oh my god, the drama will be off the charts.

I do agree with your points though. The WC is like the Olympics here or at least it is in some parts of the country - seemingly the midwest and south. I'm lucky enough to be in a serious football loving area. Mind you, they're not necessarily rooting for the US but they're rabid fans and great fun to be around. But I know my area is an anomaly. Many people won't even breathe the word soccer here until the next WC. And perhaps that's okay too. I do think if/when the day comes we ever hit a semi, this country will go soccer crazy in a more lasting way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I actually think soccer in the US has improved greatly over the past 10 years. Of course we will have a long way to go before soccer can be seen being among the other sports in the US. A lot of people tuned in to watch the US World Cup games on television. That's very impressive for a country where soccer is only the 5th most popular sport. I could only imagine how good US soccer could be if all of our country's best athletes chose to play soccer instead of other sports Basketball, Baseball, Football, etc. The US team would probably dominant the World Cup like we do in other sports.
It has improved a lot over the last 10. I think we're about 15-20 years from having a major boom here.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
I too think its just a matter of time before we are a soccer crazy country. The new generation is loving the sport. I'm not saying it will surpass football but I'm sure it will be #3 or #2 in fifteen years.

Its grown past the niche stage and into the mainstream.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I too think its just a matter of time before we are a soccer crazy country. The new generation is loving the sport. I'm not saying it will surpass football but I'm sure it will be #3 or #2 in fifteen years.

Its grown past the niche stage and into the mainstream.
There is no doubt it is growing...but I see soccer here the way i see hockey..its more of a cult type following...you either love the game or don't much care. The casual fan is few and far between.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
There is no doubt it is growing...but I see soccer here the way i see hockey..its more of a cult type following...you either love the game or don't much care. The casual fan is few and far between.
How long will the naysayers be say that? They said the same before MLS started, they said it after to '06 and '10 world cups, and even after the huge growth of the MLS and the EPL viewings, it will remain a niche sport?

C'mon man. 25 million people saw the US-Portugal match. That's more than the World Series and the NBA finals.

What's killing soccer in this country is our stupid youth soccer system. I grew up in a ridiculous league where all the spoiled rich kids got into the best clubs cus their parents bought them a slot, this includes me, while all the really really good kids got stuck in the crappy free leagues that went no where in relevant competition. Later those really athletic kids drop soccer and go into basketball or football. I saw it several times.

Soccer in this country is still admittedly a middle class niche sport to a large degree but its grown into mainstream acceptance, like hockey, which is a big step. All the anti soccer stuff is now seen as ignorant and relegated to a few dinosaurs.

Also the MLS is terrible indicator of where soccer is going in this country. Serious soccer fans watch the English Premier League which is smashing viewership records in comparison to MLS. I will support the local league but the execs at MLS need to get the message that you can't market soccer like you do the NBA or MLB. Its a different animal altogether.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
How long will the naysayers be say that? They said the same before MLS started, they said it after to '06 and '10 world cups, and even after the huge growth of the MLS and the EPL viewings, it will remain a niche sport?

C'mon man. 25 million people saw the US-Portugal match. That's more than the World Series and the NBA finals.

What's killing soccer in this country is our stupid youth soccer system. I grew up in a ridiculous league where all the spoiled rich kids got into the best clubs cus their parents bought them a slot, this includes me, while all the really really good kids got stuck in the crappy free leagues that went no where in relevant competition. Later those really athletic kids drop soccer and go into basketball or football. I saw it several times.

Soccer in this country is still admittedly a middle class niche sport to a large degree but its grown into mainstream acceptance, like hockey, which is a big step. All the anti soccer stuff is now seen as ignorant and relegated to a few dinosaurs.

Also the MLS is terrible indicator of where soccer is going in this country. Serious soccer fans watch the English Premier League which is smashing viewership records in comparison to MLS. I will support the local league but the execs at MLS need to get the message that you can't market soccer like you do the NBA or MLB. Its a different animal altogether.
But again..did people watch USA - Portugal for "soccer" or country...think about it. Look I think its great soccer is growing. I hope it continues to but I suspect its more of an "Olympics " type thing for the vast majority in this country.

As for your ideas on rich kids getting in the better clubs, I'll take your word on that as i just don't have enough background on it.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
I am talking about America of course...

You make good points. Like I said ..you are right American fans should not be appeased i do agree. Frankly, I enjoy the fact a team like Costa Rica or the USA against Belgium ... even Chile / Brazil can be mostly outplayed but still have a chance to win. I never said the game was boring..I just think there are ways to make it more interesting.

It's not that different from here tbh. The national team draws a lot of attention and millions of people tune in when there's a Euro or WC. But club games are more of a niche thing and average attendance is around 20,000. This is still way more than other sports because we don't really have a sports culture (in terms of attending league games), it's very different from the US. I never watch Eredivisie games and don't have any local team I support.

The only exception to this is the Champions League but this is like the World Cup of club games. Still, the Champions League final draws only a fraction of viewers any Euro/WC game involving the NT does.

I would say the same is true for pretty much all European countries.

Edit: To illustrate my point: around 8 million people watched our games against Chile, Mexico and CR (not counting those who got together and watched it on a big screen). This is literally half the population. By contrast, the CL final this year drew 2.2 million viewers. Club football will never be as big as NT football and that is true even for the most football-obsessed countries.

Last edited by LindavG; 07-06-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It's not that different from here tbh. The national team draws a lot of attention and millions of people tune in when there's a Euro or WC. But club games are more of a niche thing and average attendance is around 20,000. This is still way more than other sports because we don't really have a sports culture (in terms of attending league games), it's very different from the US. I never watch Eredivisie games and don't have any local team I support.

The only exception to this is the Champions League but this is like the World Cup of club games. Still, the Champions League final draws only a fraction of viewers any Euro/WC game involving the NT does.

I would say the same is true for pretty much all European countries.
Interesting take.. I didn't realize that about Europe.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Uh, Linda 2.2 million for a population of 16 million is still a lot. Eight million for a WC game is crazy! Imagine it. Our Super Bowl draws 100 million which is the most out of the year for any sporting event. That's nearly half the population. So your country just had the equivalent of four Super Bowls in a row!

How many Dutch do you think saw the final vs Spain in 2010?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Uh, Linda 2.2 million for a population of 16 million is still a lot. Eight million for a WC game is crazy! Imagine it. Our Super Bowl draws 100 million which is the most out of the year for any sporting event. That's nearly half the population. So your country just had the equivalent of four Super Bowls in a row!

How many Dutch do you think saw the final vs Spain in 2010?
Your numbers are off...There are 310 million people in the USA...112 million watched the Super Bowl..think about that.

USA- belgium had 16.2 million views... but what impressed me is Brazil/Chile had 6.2 million! That is actually very interesting. Again though..I think its the WC's attraction that keeps people viewing. If TV ratings are in the millions for a Premier League game then I'll be impressed. That doesn't happen and won't I don't think.

I'm telling you WC is rivaling the Olympics for the simple man draw and that is amazing. Too bad they can't do it every 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer