Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times

Advertisements

Darrin Horn's Gamecocks held off a feisty Clemson team at Colonial Life Arena tonight. They kept messing around and let the Tigers stay in it too long, but a win is a win.

So, that's men's basketball, women's basketball (beat-down), men's soccer, women's soccer, baseball, and football (beat-down) that the Gamecocks beat the Tigers in this year. And I don't want to hear about the Clemson men's six-game winning streak before tonight, because Tiger fans are always talking about leading the series in football and USC leads the series in men's basketball.

I credit USC's athletics director Eric Hyman as much as anyone else for all the wins over the Tigers and the new sports era at South Carolina's flagship university. Go, *****!!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,814,761 times
Congrats. You guys finally did something to Clemson the last 1-2 years that Clemson has been doing to you the last 30+ years overall. Too bad USC cares more about beating Clemson in football every year instead of winning their bowl games, but hey that's the more important thing right?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM

I'm livin' in the moment and lovin' it.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,455,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Congrats. You guys finally did something to Clemson the last 1-2 years that Clemson has been doing to you the last 30+ years overall. Too bad USC cares more about beating Clemson in football every year instead of winning their bowl games, but hey that's the more important thing right?
Ahhh, but better to have played in a championship game and lost than never to have played at all.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,392,503 times
Is anyone else interested in discovering a motive behind the sudden interest in threads discussing in-state college sports games? Perhaps it is related to the recent history of perpetual mediocrity or a sudden surge of school pride, but since joining City-Data.com's South Carolina forum, I don't recall having seen this amount of over-excitement regarding the outcome of individual games, nor the implication that one school is somehow overall "better" than another school simply because teams from that one school beat teams from the other school in their respective sporting events during the same school year. Because some people are easily predictable, I actually knew this thread would be posted, despite the fact that Clemson's basketball program has been in shambles since the unexpected departure of head coach Oliver Purnell. Obviously you can make the case that one school has outperformed the other athletically over the course of one school year, however, why is it suddenly important to discuss the outcome of so many individual games? If it is important, where were these discussions in recent school years? Is it simply a matter of pride? "The school team I support beat the school team you support in a game of _________, therefore my life is much better today than it was previously and I daresay it even gives me pleasure to imagine that my life (& school & city/region) is better than your life (& school & city/region) today." I suppose this is the essence of so-called "bragging rights" in the state of SC, or in other words, the emotional power of one relatively unimportant intrastate rivalry.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Ahhh, but better to have played in a championship game and lost than never to have played at all.
Same can be said about USC last year who didn't go to the championship game when Clemson did. We're even now.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Is anyone else interested in discovering a motive behind the sudden interest in threads discussing in-state college sports games? Perhaps it is related to the recent history of perpetual mediocrity or a sudden surge of school pride, but since joining City-Data.com's South Carolina forum, I don't recall having seen this amount of over-excitement regarding the outcome of individual games, nor the implication that one school is somehow overall "better" than another school simply because teams from that one school beat teams from the other school in their respective sporting events during the same school year. Because some people are easily predictable, I actually knew this thread would be posted, despite the fact that Clemson's basketball program has been in shambles since the unexpected departure of head coach Oliver Purnell. Obviously you can make the case that one school has outperformed the other athletically over the course of one school year, however, why is it suddenly important to discuss the outcome of so many individual games? If it is important, where were these discussions in recent school years? Is it simply a matter of pride? "The school team I support beat the school team you support in a game of _________, therefore my life is much better today than it was previously and I daresay it even gives me pleasure to imagine that my life (& school & city/region) is better than your life (& school & city/region) today." I suppose this is the essence of so-called "bragging rights" in the state of SC, or in other words, the emotional power of one relatively unimportant intrastate rivalry.
I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that USC is finally beating Clemson in sports after Clemson owned them for the past 30+ years. When Clemson would beat USC in pretty much anything except for maybe baseball before this year, it wasn't anything special because that was the norm since the 1970's for the most part. Now with all of these USC wins over Clemson recently, a debate has arose between fans of both schools due to the shift of power in sports dominance over the in-state rival. It will be interesting to see if this shift of power is temporary or long-term.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,455,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Same can be said about USC last year who didn't go to the championship game when Clemson did. We're even now.

Exactly!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Um, the games just took place? Motive enough. Or, whoever hates USC has the right to post on the beat-down by Auburn? Or, basketball is my favorite sport because my dad is from Indiana and I grew up in a basketball family?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,615,726 times
Quote:
Nice comments. It gets old to see some who I would bet never watch sports to come on here and try to make a school or region look bad simply because of a game. It is also interesting to see some who did not attend either school or even grow up in SC create threads trying to diminish the accomplishments of a school. Not sure why someone would care so much to bash a region or school, maybe they were called a name or something by the students but, you would think they would have better things to do than simply bash a city similar to how NewYorkBorn bashes Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina