Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,768 times
Wow. As a northerner I'm not offended, because my family and I are happily adopting to the "Southern Way", which is why we moved here in the first place, and we've been accepted here warmly because of our attitudes.

But I can fully understand why a native would post a rant like that. I am also sick of the complaints from some transplants, and I'm a northerner myself!!

I think floridasoutherner3 should post that on the NC board too.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:34 PM

57 posts, read 337,174 times
This is so true.... we moved from South Florida to South Carolina. And everytime my husband watches the news - Channel 9...he says..."There's more crime in Charlotte, N.C., than there was in South Florida".

And I say "No there isn't hunny, it's just theres so much crime to report in South Florida but they dont have enough of time to do so, and here in the Carolina's not much is happening so they have time to report every thing and make it worse than it is".

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
One thing you'll notice about every city in this region---citizens of each believe they have the highest crime rate in the country. I've heard people in Columbia, Greenville, Charleston, and especially Charlotte claim this repeatedly. but if you will access the actual figures on line, you will find that to be far from true. SC does have one of the highest crime rates in the country, but if you actually look at the statistics, it is the rural counties that have the highest crime rates. Unfortunately, a city the size of Charlotte, with 650,000 people is going to have a good bit of crime, but the rate is actually low compared to some other similar sized cities. One problem in Charlotte is that the TV stations are known nationally to hipe all crime stories, making the problem seem even worse than it is. One station, channel 9, W(e) S(how) O(nly) C(rime)-TV, is especially well known for this, so take what you see with a grain of salt.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 AM

293 posts, read 826,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterFishing View Post
ILOVETHECAROLINAS,

The above post is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Everybody is a yankee, doesnt matter if your from Utah, Hawaii or New York. Of course when slamming your fellow americans it always makes the story a little more anti-southern by mentioning the culprit is a Yankee and from...NEW YORK!

I'm sure your the nicest person but how can you deny what many of your fellow statesmen are saying? Honestly, I doubt anyone even visiting realizes this yankee/rebel thing even exist. So where are they getting it from? Hello! They are getting it from the nice people in your state.

So what causes such nice folks to spew hatred towards anyone that isnt born and raised local? Well....according to your fellow statesmen and above poster, its because they act like they own the place. Gee, that sounds bad. I wonder what you have to do to act like you own the place. Oh yea, buy a big fancy car! Yep, clearly someone is trying to own the place by buying a fancy car.

You say the information in my post is outdated. You only need read the above quoted poster to realize time has not changed anything. It was like that then, its like that now.

I ask myself, why is Bubba (a common southern name) so mad. Well, as stated in my post, much of the south doesnt have a middle class. How does this effect Bubba and his way of life? Bubba is already at the bottom so anybody moving into the area that doesnt look like they came out of a deliverance movie is already leaps and bounds above him. To Bubba, this just makes his life harder. No longer can he park his 10 broken down vehicles in the front yard, pour his used motor oil in the creek by his home, burn his garbage bonefires, have his friends get together for dog fights, hunt in front of the elementary school. Yet again, its all because of those dang yankees.

Nobody forced those southeners to sell. Nobody took advantage of them. In fact, the prices hikes are due to southerners asking for more money because they knew the market would pay. In case Bubba didnt know, its like that in the rest of america. All of american real estate took a price hike. Many are using this time to reposition themself. Of course Bubba doesnt recognize america. Bubba still thinks the south is fighting for independence. Of course Bubba blames yankees because his neighbors sold their homes for a lot of money. Its all part of a yankee conspiracy to rid the world of rebels for once and for all.

Commerce has always been a key to any area. More money equals more and better things for all of the community. Taxes generate schools and better education. Of course, its a bad thing if your Bubba and things haven't changed since the civil war.

So Ilovethecarolinas, I stand by my description as being accurate for many parts of the south. I'm sure your a nice person and I do enjoy reading your postings but for every one decent post, twice that many from your fellow statesmen pop up and solidify my point of view.

I hate to seem disrespectful toward you and your beliefs....but after reading your previous post....i must say that was the best Aseop's Fable i've read in a while...in other words....i think you put some lies in comment......I've never heard a Southerner call someone from California a 'Yankee'...lol....NEVER....and how can someone take your paragraph seriously when you critize an area from a belief from 30yrs ago...Charlotte, ATL, Jacksonville, Raleigh and more weren't anything special back then either.

The funny thing is i've been here all my like and have never called anyone a Yankee.....other than Derrick Jetter and the rest of the baseball team. I think the best attribute about most people down South is that we will accept you more openly once you are here moreso than the other way around. The sheer irony about racism is that i've been discriminated against more up north and out west than i have in the south. I was in California and while riding the bus i was called a few degrading names....but instead of following them up i let it go. In NYC all i had to do is open my mouth and i got drilled and labels as slow and dumb.....a quick "Can of Wipe A$$" and a week later and they didn't say the same to me again.... [and i only fought because the group at hand tried to jump on me and rob me].

You say in your post above that the other comment was a perfect example of what you were talking about....but then you stoop to the same stereotypical lingo that you just critized....no if that isn't hypocritical...what is? You didn't like SC.....big deal....i've been to NYC and L.A. and i didn't car for neither myself....does it mean they are horrible places to live, visit and other....nope....it just wasn't for me...........

Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos View Post
This is so true.... we moved from South Florida to South Carolina. And everytime my husband watches the news - Channel 9...he says..."There's more crime in Charlotte, N.C., than there was in South Florida".

And I say "No there isn't hunny, it's just theres so much crime to report in South Florida but they dont have enough of time to do so, and here in the Carolina's not much is happening so they have time to report every thing and make it worse than it is".
Crime in Charlotte, NC

Old 10-20-2007, 11:07 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian, but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.

While you may have some good points, you presented them in a rather negitive way.

The vast majority of Northerners who move down do not even research before moving, the shock of the change makes them want to make it like their former home.

One factor contributing to this "mass migration" is the retirees of the baby boomer generation. Usually the older folk are more accepting of change, and they enjoy Southern culture as much as Southerners do. And I am perfectly ok with that.

While lurking on these forums I do see a lot of hate towards the South. But we should not be so quick to retaliate with comments such as these. (I am guilty just as much as anyone else). We are Southerners, and no one will ever change that, no matter how many "transplants" try to erase our culture. But then again, look at history, this is how a lot of cultures die or are greatly reduced. Native Americans, for example, early settlers (transplants of their day) eventually forced them on to nothing more than Reservations. Effectively destroying their influence.

Oh and one more thing, the main reason that Southerns are so "resentful" is because the last group of Northerners that moved South (think, reconstruction, carpetbaggers) meant only harm in the form of control through money and corruption.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 PM

293 posts, read 826,623 times
That's very true......It's not what you say, but how you say it. I don't ever try to set out to hurt, or defame anyone via words or actions. I don't hate anyone...When i was out in Los Angeles and San Diego i met some very down to earth people whose stereotypes of the south were drastically changed after hanging out. They came to SC and GA and was they had a ball. When i've met transplants from upstate and Midwest or even from other Southern states....i make it a point to allow them to be their self...It's a culture shock...just like when i use to visit NYC when i was younger and fel overwhelmed.....Usually i'll let them say their negative comments because i've travelled quite a few places myself and realized that most amenities that they talk about aren't something that I desire. But it's what they miss and love so....I just have to show them how to do the same things.....Southern Style....Once a southerner...always a southerner and i know it's the same with people no matter where they come from....So either they will learn to love it here or where ever they go or they will hate it...so with that said they will either stay or leave.....and to be honest most of the people that complain could be in paradise and still find something to grunt about.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 AM

32 posts, read 107,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeburghomes View Post
I have helped hundreds of people move from NY to SC especially Orangeburg SC- they all seem very happy and they like it here- they are avoiding spending their lives with higher taxes, more crime, and the cost of living here provides them with a very nice lifestyle and they tell me if they stayed where they were and retired they would have been living check to check-- I like it here- I have been here since 1975- I have been involved in the relocation of people from all over since 1990 through my business- Some people are not happy anywhere- some people will adjust to where ever they are- some people approach life with the right attitude and others never do-- if it is to be it is up to you- Orangeburg does provide everything you need and a lot of what most folks are running from is not here- if it is big city life you want this is not for you and you are not for us- but you can be in a large city within 40 minutes (it takes that long to get anywhere in the BIG CITY) and do whatever your heart desires- yet on a day to day basis you are not aggravated by the perils of BIG CITY-- traffic- nasty people-crime and spending all your earnings trying to live. thanks

http://root.z57.com/filemanager/uploads/n/u/nuk86lmik3a1_LINK_PIC_NEWFILE.jpg (broken link)
Orangeburg has plenty of crime for such a small town.. Check the 2000 fedstats page from the US gov't.. 12 murders in one year for Orangeburg? Also SC ranked number 1 in violent crime.. Hardly a crime free area..

Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 AM

32 posts, read 107,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian, but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.

I agree with ya! I could not say it any better than that my self.. Move away, move away... Besides the crime here is way too high as I have posted many times for y'all to see that this is not the place for y'all to be moving to.. I fly my Rebel Flag and it does not mean that I agree with racism nor slavery.. Close minded liberals like to bash the flag, when they know nothing about what it means to me. It is my heritage and you come here and try to take that away? Yeah y'all might of won the war, but it sure took y'all long enough. You even had many more people than we did and more industry. Y'all have always had this love affair with the south. Y'all died trying to keep us and we died trying to get away from y'all. Today yanks still come here in droves, but yet they claim they hate us..

Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
I also agree with florida southerner 3. This is our heritage and history. The confederate flag is part of that whether you like it or not. If you don't like the south for its ways then dont move here. Plain and simple. "I feel no shame. I'm proud of where I came from. I was born and raised in the boondocks."-Born, raised, and still live in Greenville, SC.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA,
The good:
Peaches, SC has the world's best peaches.
Publix bakery, really good bread.
Black Mountain Tomatoes.
Locals are pretty good people
The bad,
Too hot and humid for me.
Half-backs and "wiseguy" wannabes from NY.
The "bad" is why I moved back to PA and I am sure glad I did.
Still, I will miss the peaches and tomatoes.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina