Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times

Advertisements

NFL teams rely heavily on corporate sponsorships and box seating. SC simply does not have enough corporate support in any one area. And the comment about Charlotte having more poverty is comical since Charlotte has so many high income finance, engineering/construction and management jobs. If someone wants to see real poverty drive half way between Columbia and Charelston and an hour in either direction.

I personally go to Clemson games when I can and the cost difference from college to pro seating is noticeable. Much of the USC-Clemson fan bases are alumni and social networks as much as true sport fans. A pro team does not have that built in support.

And FWIW- New York teams have actually played in Jersey so the idea of a Charlotte team being affiliated with SC is perfectly logical. Same with Philly drawing fans from south Jersey and the Kansas City and Cincinnati teams reaching across the state line in terms of fan base/local affiliation. In truth the Columbia to Charlotte drive is less time than it takes to cross many metro areas. Look at New England- driving from North of Boston out to Foxborough can be an utter mess. Same thing for the San Francisco Bat area teams.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM

52 posts, read 42,810 times
Charlotte has more people, thus it must also have more poor people and povert than Greenville. Rural poverty outside of Charloote does not disprove poverty exists in Charlotte.

Greenvillle's engineering job scene is better than Charlotte's aalthough Charlotte does have best nuclear power sector in country . I am an engineer , what about you? Charloote has more banking jobs but lot of thosevjobs don't pay much.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM

If NFL team can't make it without overpriced box seats and corporate propping up, that does not reflect well on NFL. The Upstate has plenty of big corporations that could sponsor NFL . This isn't Bishopville or Bamberg. One of the engineering buildings at Clemson is the Fluor building.

Last edited by OrangeBlood36; 10-26-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlood36 View Post
If NFL team can't make it without overpriced box seats and corporate propping up, that does not reflect well on NFL. The Upstate has plenty of big corporations that could sponsor NFL . This isn't Bishopville or Bamberg. One of the engineering buildings at Clemson is the Fluor building.
I agree with you, Greenville is one of the wealthiest cities, if not the wealthiest, in the south. Look at those houses in Thornblade or Chanticleer. And, we have companies that will buy up the premium seats, not sure why they put the team in Charlotte or least talk to Greenville.

Our TV market is a top 40 market, people are moving here in droves. And, look at downtown, we just completed a new skyscraper.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:49 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willietiger94 View Post
I agree with you, Greenville is one of the wealthiest cities, if not the wealthiest, in the south. Look at those houses in Thornblade or Chanticleer. And, we have companies that will buy up the premium seats, not sure why they put the team in Charlotte or least talk to Greenville.

Our TV market is a top 40 market, people are moving here in droves. And, look at downtown, we just completed a new skyscraper.
Don't wanna take away from the topic but there is no skyscraper in Greenville.

Greenville is not the wealthiest nor is one of the wealthiest. There are companies in every city over 700k that would buy up premium seats. But there is not a large enough general market in any of the SC cities for there to be an NFL team. If anything it would be central to the rest of SC or far enough away from other NFL teams.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM

If Greenbay can have a NFL team so could the upstate.

I doubt Buffalo is rich city and it has bled population. Update: Buffaloe is 4th poorest city in nation yet has NFL. Think that blows up a talking point.

Greenville has larger media market than San Antonio, Jacksonville, and Birmingham, the largest city in Alabama.

A lot of cities could support pro teams but expansion dilutes the talent level and means more mediocrity

Last edited by OrangeBlood36; 10-26-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlood36 View Post
If Greenbay can have a NFL team so could the upstate.

I doubt Buffalo is rich city and it has bled population. Update: Buffaloe is 4th poorest city in nation yet has NFL. Think that blows up a talking point.

Greenville has larger media market than San Antonio, Jacksonville, and Birmingham, the largest city in Alabama.

A lot of cities could support pro teams but expansion dilutes the talent level and means more mediocrity
Jacksonville has a team. The markets it also has is upper Florida and lower Georgia. Green bay is also close to Milwaukee and the upper areas of Michigan. It also has a NFL history as one of the first teams. Buffalo is also one of the first teams when it was flourishing. Buffalo also has 1.2 million people and upper New York and probably some parts of Canada. It doesn't really have much competition around it.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 PM

True, my comment was based on Panthers not already being in Charlotte. Charlotte is in bbetween all the major metros in Carolina's and makes sense to put it there. I am only challenging the idea a city must be super wealthy to get pro teams, and that Greenville is too poor. I'd rather not have zNFL traffic in downtown Greenville on Sundays, that is best day to go downtown in my opinion

Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willietiger94 View Post

Ill make it easy for you .... the wealth data is available on the city data profile for the 3 "big" cities in South Carolina...Greenville comes in third ...and median household income is substantially below Charleston and below Columbia. Both Charleston and Columbia are growing faster than Greenville as per the census.... I like Greenville ....a lot ...but lets not get too carried away.. it ruins your cred.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Beaufort County with Hilton Head had hhighest incomes in state but few jobs there. Income doesn't just come from jobs and a lot of wealthy people retire in SC near the beach.

My opinion Greenville and upstate had best collection of employers in state.

No way Charleston and Columbia growing faster. That does not pass the eye test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina