Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,264 times

Advertisements

I'm a divorced female in my 40s who is thinking of moving to NC or SC. I want to start over and get away from the cold weather and the expense of living in CT. I plan to rent rather than buy a home. My kids are grown so the school system is not a consideration. I'd like to move to an area that is affordable but safe; a community where I can meet others in my age group (not a place where the majority of the population is only students or retirees, but a mix of different ages and cultures would be great). It would also be nice to find a place that is welcoming to northerners. I've worked in medical offices and also as a massage therapist so I'll be looking for a job in either area. I prefer the beach to the mountains, but would be willing to be as far as 2 hours inland if everything else is a good fit. I don't want to be right in the city but would like the option of being close enough to activities (music, restaurants, theater) if I feel like going into town. Right now I'm focusing on Surfside Beach/Garden City, Raleigh, Wilmington or Charleston (which I hear is probably too expensive). I'd appreciate any info on living in these places as well as suggestions for other towns/cities. I plan to take a trip soon to get a feel for the different locations. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 31,107 times
who needs nc or sc they suck politically and are failing. I would suggest living in Washington state maybe seattle or Port Townsend Or check out Anacortes or Oak harbor plus Washington has one of the best growing economy's in the nation

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM

I've heard Washington state is really nice but I'm looking for a warmer climate :-)

Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
As a NC native and 3 yr resident of Charleston SC, I must agree with you that they are not progressive politically. However, do not lump these 2 states together! NC is more liberal overall, less "old boy" politics... Compare states/cities on City data!

For OP: living in Charleston for 3 yrs....I have found it more expensive in every way than NC. FUN and historic downtown and beaches BUT MUCH poverty/crime, very hot/humid for 5 mths/yr.
A MAJOR TOURIST CITY. Traffic headaches daily.

I plan on moving back to NC.

Raleigh area is most progressive while still only 2 hrs to beach. Wilmington smaller but fine-lots of tourists. I personally think NC beaches more lovely than SC.

Garden City SC is just below Myrtle Beach, a miserable, crowded tourist-only area. I would avoid it.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,241 times
Summerville, SC...definitely. Come visit and you're sold.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your input! I really appreciate it! Are there towns surrounding Raleigh that you would recommend? I'll also check out Summerville.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josun View Post
Are there towns surrounding Raleigh that you would recommend? I'll also check out Summerville.
I live near Wilmington, but I suggest reading in the Triangle NC forum. It sound like you might enjoy north Raleigh (which is quite suburban) and the more suburban parts of Durham. Cary is mostly family oriented and has many amenities. All of the Triangle will have many northerners there already, and is more progressive than most of SC.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Thank you!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM

334 posts, read 626,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto81 View Post
Cost of living is a lot higher in NC. You might as well stay in CT than move there.

NC isn't more progressive than SC. They don't even back that up. What they mean is there are more democarats in Raleigh, which might not matter to you.

there is a college on every other corner, their public schools actually educate people and social activities in the cities of NC do not revolve around the local evagelical church, so yeah, they are a bit more progressive, plus ( gasp), they have one of the lowest umemployment records on our country ... hows tat for backing it up cutie? rofl.
seriousley, I lived in NC for 8 yrs, now in Hilton Head SC for 3 ( home of 49% speech). The Island is beautiful, the weather perfect, and the rich self absorbed snots that run the place make me want to puke. I know why the schools here are so below standards, they keep people stupid so it's easier to trick them into voting for them year after year. it's sad, the young kids can't even carry a conversation.

we can move in about 2 yrs and we can't wait!

Last edited by LPnerd; 05-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,616,514 times
It all depends on what you want.....I grew up in SC and my family has been there for centuries. I live in Charlotte.

First, can't compare anything in SC with Raleigh/Charlotte, these two metros combined are roughlythe size of SC population wise. If you want a city, these are your only real options.

But, SC has some nice smaller cities. Charleston has a nice historic downtown, Greenville has a nice Main st and Columbia has a cool downtown with a number of districts.

Job wise, NC has a deeper job sector....from IT to finance to manufacturing, the state is well rounded. SC has two big fish in Boeing and BMW.

Education....NC has some terrific schools but so too does SC. Furman, Wofford, Clemson and Carolina re good schools as is UNC, Duke, Wake, Davidson and NC State. All depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina